I have the i5 4gb 128 GB version. Since the update, when I try to wake the tablet from sleep, sometimes it takes like 15 seconds for the display to come on. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this. Anyone else?

Delivered by the Nexus 5 or the mighty Surface Pro 3
    08-21-2014 03:43 PM
    I have the i5 4gb 128 GB version. Since the update, when I try to wake the tablet from sleep, sometimes it takes like 15 seconds for the display to come on. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this. Anyone else?

Delivered by the Nexus 5 or the mighty Surface Pro 3
    It happened once where I had to press down hard on the power button to get it to wake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-21-2014 03:53 PM
    Please look into the reliability index. You can find it by using the search in the charms bar and type "reliability". Post a screenshot of the date and time when it happened with error messages. Perhaps we can find some infos and help.
    08-22-2014 09:44 AM
    I had an issue with mine NOT going to sleep, but I don't know if that was just a glitch or not. I had it in my bag and it was on for probably an hour, it heated the whole bag up and made the bed warm where it was lying. It was pretty hot to the touch, but I guess not hot enough for it to shut itself off. I took it out and held it in front of the AC to cool it down, so far after a reboot it's working normally again.
    08-22-2014 10:30 AM
    I bought a SP3 yesterday and already on day 1 I am having "waking up" issues. I have done all of the updates available to make sure I have the most recent firmware.

The problem is repeatable in that the SP3 screen won't wake up if it is not plugged in. The backlight on the typecover lights up, and you can feel the vibration when hitting the windows key, but the screen stays blank. Once I plug the cord in, it will turn right on. I have also seen the soft reset by holdin the power+volume button, which does work, but considering that it happens everytime it is not plugged in, that's not really a viable solution.

I've also seen a solution involving going to Device manger, finding the Marvell Avastar Wireless adapter, going to a Power Management tab and checking an option there (I would post a link, but I don't have enough posts to do this yet!). However, when I look in the Marvell Avastar properities, there is no "power managment tab" to select as described. So I suspect that the solution is too old and out of date.

I'm contemplating taking it into the MS store, but it is not very convenient for me to get there, so any suggestions here would be appreciated. Thanks.
    08-26-2014 04:09 PM
    I had a situation today where I could not get my SP3 to wake up, no matter how long or how many times I hit the power button. Had to disconnect the keyboard cover, reattach, wait for it to light up, then hit the power/sleep button. It was very strange. Rebooted after that for good measure, but it's happened I think two other times in the two months I've owned it thus far.
    08-26-2014 08:00 PM
    I have an issue that my SP3 is waking and losses its WiFi connection this is now at less in 50% of the case since the last firmware update.
    08-28-2014 10:37 PM
    I had an issue with mine NOT going to sleep, but I don't know if that was just a glitch or not. I had it in my bag and it was on for probably an hour, it heated the whole bag up and made the bed warm where it was lying. It was pretty hot to the touch, but I guess not hot enough for it to shut itself off. I took it out and held it in front of the AC to cool it down, so far after a reboot it's working normally again.
    I have this exact problem. I keep putting it to sleep and it will randomly wake up again. I only notice when my bag is heating up and I can feel it. Its super annoying because it has happened a few times and I really needed my laptop but it was dead because it didn't go to sleep.
    08-29-2014 01:11 AM
    I am pretty sure this "not waking up" issue is caused by connected standby. I added hibernate about two weeks ago to the options. And I have been using hibernate instead of waiting for connect standby to put it in a deep sleep. And I haven't had issues since then. Now for the matter with people having it wake up in the bag I bet you may have just put the surface to sleep and put it in the bag. But connected standby doesn't occur until 4 hours have passed if I remember correctly. So any bumping of the power button will bring up the lock screen. I would highly suggest shutting down or add hibernate and use that before putting it in the bag to prevent any chance of overheating.
    08-29-2014 11:46 AM
    But connected standby doesn't occur until 4 hours have passed if I remember correctly. So any bumping of the power button will bring up the lock screen.
    Nope. Connected Standby or InstantGo is a screen-off sleep state. Any time the system has the screen off, it is said to be in Connected Standby. From Connected Standby the system transitions to the ACPI Sleep (S3) state. From there it goes into the ACPI Hibernate (S4) state when the battery is critically low.
    xboxonthego3 and meathead88 like this.
    08-29-2014 12:55 PM
    Nope. Connected Standby or InstantGo is a screen-off sleep state. Any time the system has the screen off, it is said to be in Connected Standby. From Connected Standby the system transitions to the ACPI Sleep (S3) state. From there it goes into the ACPI Hibernate (S4) state when the battery is critically low.
    Aww I suppose I was wrong about the 4 hours then. Thanks for the link. When I get time i'll make sure to read it more closely. But I do believe connect standby might still be the issue. At least in my experience until I switched to manually hibernating my Surface.
    08-29-2014 05:17 PM
    But I do believe connect standby might still be the issue.
    Could very well be. I believe all it requires is a registry edit to turn it off, so if people can stand losing Connected Standby that might be the way to go.
    08-29-2014 07:56 PM
    I have an i5 256GB SP3 with this 'wake' issue. The keyboard lights up and I get haptic feedback from the Start button, but a blank screen.

At times like this the lack of a power light or any operating noise is frustrating!
    08-30-2014 04:39 PM
    I bought a SP3 yesterday and already on day 1 I am having "waking up" issues. I have done all of the updates available to make sure I have the most recent firmware.

The problem is repeatable in that the SP3 screen won't wake up if it is not plugged in. The backlight on the typecover lights up, and you can feel the vibration when hitting the windows key, but the screen stays blank. Once I plug the cord in, it will turn right on. I have also seen the soft reset by holdin the power+volume button, which does work, but considering that it happens everytime it is not plugged in, that's not really a viable solution.

I've also seen a solution involving going to Device manger, finding the Marvell Avastar Wireless adapter, going to a Power Management tab and checking an option there (I would post a link, but I don't have enough posts to do this yet!). However, when I look in the Marvell Avastar properities, there is no "power managment tab" to select as described. So I suspect that the solution is too old and out of date.

I'm contemplating taking it into the MS store, but it is not very convenient for me to get there, so any suggestions here would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Know this is an older thread, but I am having this same exact issue on my SP3. Anyone find a solution yet?
    08-11-2015 04:10 PM
    One of the firmware updates fixed it for me. Are your Windows Updates up to date?

My SP3 is on Windows 10 now.
    08-12-2015 01:28 AM