Is the MS Office suite not free anymore like it was on the RT model?

JonathanWinbush

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Surfae RT back in the day and it came with everything out the box excel,word, etc... I got the Pro3 i7 and now when I go to boot word it says I can sign up for a 30day trial. Is the office suite not included anymore? Is there a way I can transfer it from my RT to the Pro3?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The office suite is only included for RT. It never came with any of the Surface Pros. And I'm not sure if it is possible to move it from RT to your Pro.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Know anyone that works for a big company? If their company uses Microsofts products they'll usually have access to the "Home Use Program" (HUP) and can get Office for very cheap. I just got Office 2013 through my company for $9.95.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's a bit further added expense for going Pro. I currently have a Surface RT and upgradig to SP3 in a week or so, but it also means I'll have to get a new Office license. I'll just get Officer 365 University, that offers me Office 365 for like 70€ for 4 years and for 2 devices. Nicely finally gets me Office on my desktop (I never had, I use the web app and when I needed to format text I would take my 10" Surface in front of my 24" desktop monitor lol) and the other licese for the SP3.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
As the others have mentioned only the RT devices came with a free copy of office.

I was very sceptical about Office 365 and to be honest any subscription type service, I suppose that is why I was still using Office 2003 on my old XP device until a few months ago.

However I gave in so we signed up for 365 and haven't looked back, we went for a family subscription so me, the wife and my three children all have the latest copies of Office and all of it not just Word.

Also we now all have 1 TB of OneDrive space (YES THAT IS 5 TB), all of a sudden it has become a very good deal.

Since then I have taken the plunge and taken out an Xbox Music pass as well, already paid for itself and I have only had it a couple of weeks.

Bob

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
As the others have mentioned only the RT devices came with a free copy of office.

I was very sceptical about Office 365 and to be honest any subscription type service, I suppose that is why I was still using Office 2003 on my old XP device until a few months ago.

However I gave in so we signed up for 365 and haven't looked back, we went for a family subscription so me, the wife and my three children all have the latest copies of Office and all of it not just Word.

Also we now all have 1 TB of OneDrive space (YES THAT IS 5 TB), all of a sudden it has become a very good deal.

Since then I have taken the plunge and taken out an Xbox Music pass as well, already paid for itself and I have only had it a couple of weeks.

Bob
Do you get extra storage space with Office 365?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes that is why I mentioned it, One whole terabyte per person, in other words I now have almost everything up in the cloud.

Bob

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Woooooow I didn't know that..... So 1tb and Office for whatever price?

If you are a student, Office 365 university is 70$ for 4 years and 2 computers.

Compare Microsoft Office products
Here you can find the pricing for home licenses.
With Office 365 you get: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher and Access from Microsoft Office Suite; on top of that you get 1TB of OneDrive space and 60 minutes per month of worldwide Skype calls for landlines (mobiles in some countries)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Woooooow I didn't know that..... So 1tb and Office for whatever price?

Yes you have hit Microsoft's biggest problem on the head, they some times forget to tell people :wink:

Someone worked it out, that for example if I was to buy Office with all the programs on 365 (Access etc.) for all of my devices and family, it would probably cost me the equivalent of 20 years of renting for 365, but whereas 365 gives me the latest versions of the stuff, I would within a few years have to go and buy or at least upgrade the bought copy of Office, throw in the OneDrive storage now on offer and it's a no brainer for me.

Bob

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Meh if you have an old Office licence lying around like 2007 or 2010 you can use that instead. All x86 Windows including the Surface Pro series do not come with Office installed, there will be some that install Office "Starter" Edition but that thing is an abomination.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Surface RT included Office 2013 RT, a touch-friendly suite that runs on RT machines only. The functionality is similar to the web-based Office Online, but Office Online also gives you OneDrive sync, which Office 2013 RT does not.

Check out the FAQ here: Office 2013 RT FAQs

Particularly note "What Office Home & Student 2013 and Outlook 2013 features are unavailable in Office 2013 RT?"

Depending on how you use the apps, you may find that Office Online is sufficient for your needs, or you may decide that Office 365 is worth the price of admission, particularly if you have another PC - Home includes licenses for 5 installs for 5 different users (+ each user gets that 1 TB OneDrive space), while University includes licenses for 2 installs for a single user (only 1 TB OneDrive space with this one). Either way, a whole lot of bang for the buck.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My trial version of Outlook 2013 keeps crashing, so I just ended installing an old copy of Office 2010. Works well!

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb