09-01-2014 07:15 PM
63 123
tools
    I bought the Surfae RT back in the day and it came with everything out the box excel,word, etc... I got the Pro3 i7 and now when I go to boot word it says I can sign up for a 30day trial. Is the office suite not included anymore? Is there a way I can transfer it from my RT to the Pro3?
    08-22-2014 11:18 AM
    The office suite is only included for RT. It never came with any of the Surface Pros. And I'm not sure if it is possible to move it from RT to your Pro.
    08-22-2014 11:21 AM
    You should be able to find a key to activate Office on your SP3, though.

It should come with the SP3 packaging, as far as I know.
    08-22-2014 11:23 AM
    Do you happen to know where it would be in the packaging I dont see it anywhere
    08-22-2014 11:27 AM
    Do you happen to know where it would be in the packaging I dont see it anywhere
    If it's not in the packaging, well, you've just been saddled with a rather useless tech demo, I guess.
    I'll try and check if the SP3 comes with an MS Office license.

EDIT! Sorry if I got your hopes up. According to a link I found, the Surface Pro series does not come with Microsoft Office.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/s...5-b61ca7728a06
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-22-2014 11:36 AM
    Oh well that sucks. Thanks for the answer guess I'll keep my RT around to use word on still.
    08-22-2014 11:57 AM
    Know anyone that works for a big company? If their company uses Microsofts products they'll usually have access to the "Home Use Program" (HUP) and can get Office for very cheap. I just got Office 2013 through my company for $9.95.
    mylumia928 likes this.
    08-22-2014 12:40 PM
    Yeah, it's a bit further added expense for going Pro. I currently have a Surface RT and upgradig to SP3 in a week or so, but it also means I'll have to get a new Office license. I'll just get Officer 365 University, that offers me Office 365 for like 70€ for 4 years and for 2 devices. Nicely finally gets me Office on my desktop (I never had, I use the web app and when I needed to format text I would take my 10" Surface in front of my 24" desktop monitor lol) and the other licese for the SP3.
    08-22-2014 03:36 PM
    You can also purchase license keys from Ebay to activate your trial that comes preloaded with your SP3.
    James Doan likes this.
    08-22-2014 03:53 PM
    You should be able to find a key to activate Office on your SP3, though.

It should come with the SP3 packaging, as far as I know.
    None of the Surface Pros came with a free version of Office. You either have to buy a Office 365 subscription, or buy Office 2013 outright.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    08-22-2014 09:46 PM
    That's why I'm still using Office XP on mine
    08-23-2014 09:23 AM
    As the others have mentioned only the RT devices came with a free copy of office.

I was very sceptical about Office 365 and to be honest any subscription type service, I suppose that is why I was still using Office 2003 on my old XP device until a few months ago.

However I gave in so we signed up for 365 and haven't looked back, we went for a family subscription so me, the wife and my three children all have the latest copies of Office and all of it not just Word.

Also we now all have 1 TB of OneDrive space (YES THAT IS 5 TB), all of a sudden it has become a very good deal.

Since then I have taken the plunge and taken out an Xbox Music pass as well, already paid for itself and I have only had it a couple of weeks.

Bob
    08-23-2014 10:14 AM
    As the others have mentioned only the RT devices came with a free copy of office.

I was very sceptical about Office 365 and to be honest any subscription type service, I suppose that is why I was still using Office 2003 on my old XP device until a few months ago.

However I gave in so we signed up for 365 and haven't looked back, we went for a family subscription so me, the wife and my three children all have the latest copies of Office and all of it not just Word.

Also we now all have 1 TB of OneDrive space (YES THAT IS 5 TB), all of a sudden it has become a very good deal.

Since then I have taken the plunge and taken out an Xbox Music pass as well, already paid for itself and I have only had it a couple of weeks.

Bob
    Do you get extra storage space with Office 365?
    08-23-2014 01:25 PM
    Yes that is why I mentioned it, One whole terabyte per person, in other words I now have almost everything up in the cloud.

Bob
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    08-23-2014 01:53 PM
    Yes that is why I mentioned it, One whole terabyte per person, in other words I now have almost everything up in the cloud.

Bob
    Woooooow I didn't know that..... So 1tb and Office for whatever price?
    08-23-2014 07:03 PM
    If you are a student, Office 365 university is 70$ for 4 years and 2 computers.

Compare Microsoft Office products
    Here you can find the pricing for home licenses.
    With Office 365 you get: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher and Access from Microsoft Office Suite; on top of that you get 1TB of OneDrive space and 60 minutes per month of worldwide Skype calls for landlines (mobiles in some countries)
    Nerdy Woman and Kevin Rush like this.
    08-23-2014 09:04 PM
    Yes you have hit Microsoft's biggest problem on the head, they some times forget to tell people

Someone worked it out, that for example if I was to buy Office with all the programs on 365 (Access etc.) for all of my devices and family, it would probably cost me the equivalent of 20 years of renting for 365, but whereas 365 gives me the latest versions of the stuff, I would within a few years have to go and buy or at least upgrade the bought copy of Office, throw in the OneDrive storage now on offer and it's a no brainer for me.

Bob
    Nerdy Woman and Kevin Rush like this.
    08-24-2014 01:17 AM
    Meh if you have an old Office licence lying around like 2007 or 2010 you can use that instead. All x86 Windows including the Surface Pro series do not come with Office installed, there will be some that install Office "Starter" Edition but that thing is an abomination.
    donebrasko likes this.
    08-24-2014 07:49 AM
    Surface RT included Office 2013 RT, a touch-friendly suite that runs on RT machines only. The functionality is similar to the web-based Office Online, but Office Online also gives you OneDrive sync, which Office 2013 RT does not.

Check out the FAQ here: Office 2013 RT FAQs

Particularly note "What Office Home & Student 2013 and Outlook 2013 features are unavailable in Office 2013 RT?"

Depending on how you use the apps, you may find that Office Online is sufficient for your needs, or you may decide that Office 365 is worth the price of admission, particularly if you have another PC - Home includes licenses for 5 installs for 5 different users (+ each user gets that 1 TB OneDrive space), while University includes licenses for 2 installs for a single user (only 1 TB OneDrive space with this one). Either way, a whole lot of bang for the buck.
    08-24-2014 08:23 AM
    My trial version of Outlook 2013 keeps crashing, so I just ended installing an old copy of Office 2010. Works well!

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30
    08-24-2014 09:17 AM
    My trial version of Outlook 2013 keeps crashing, so I just ended installing an old copy of Office 2010. Works well!

There is probably something wrong with your account.
    08-24-2014 10:38 AM

Yea, I have been thinking about moving back to 2010 from 2013, Lots of bugs...Even connected to an exchange server on a domain, Outlook 2013 will keep asking for a password after waking up from sleep....really annoying, something that did not happen in Outlook 2010.

Office has NEVER come with the Surface Pro, even with 1....Only the RT models came with it...
    08-24-2014 10:48 AM
    Surface RT included Office 2013 RT, a touch-friendly suite that runs on RT machines only. The functionality is similar to the web-based Office Online, but Office Online also gives you OneDrive sync, which Office 2013 RT does not.
    Hardly all that touch-friendly. Just offering an option to space out the ribbon elements a bit does not make it truly touch-friendly, which is why we're still waiting for Metro/Modern Office to debut. I would say though that functionality-wise Office RT offers much more than the web app.
    08-24-2014 01:48 PM
    Hardly all that touch-friendly. Just offering an option to space out the ribbon elements a bit does not make it truly touch-friendly, which is why we're still waiting for Metro/Modern Office to debut. I would say though that functionality-wise Office RT offers much more than the web app.
    Office RT is similar to Office Online in that it lacks the macro/VBA, add-ins, forms, and other functionality that Office desktop offers.

I, for one, am not looking forward to a touch friendly Office suite. In every app I've seen, touch friendly is a euphemism for truncated features. I need all the tools I have in Office desktop and the precision of mouse placement (although, if I had a Surface 3 and could use the stylus, that might work).
    08-24-2014 10:39 PM
    Office RT is similar to Office Online in that it lacks the macro/VBA, add-ins, forms, and other functionality that Office desktop offers.
    Yes, but I once saw a page that compared desktop Office to the web version, and the latter lacked lots of features that Office RT had in common with Office desktop. I don't remember the URL but things like the ability to define/modify text styles and so on were listed, which if I'm not mistaken Office RT has but Office Online doesn't.

I, for one, am not looking forward to a touch friendly Office suite. In every app I've seen, touch friendly is a euphemism for truncated features.
    Oh definitely the touch-friendly version will be cut down, just like Office for iPad is. All I hope for is that it doesn't replace the existing desktop version on both Windows and Windows RT and can be installed alongside it.
    08-25-2014 12:57 AM
63 123