I can never remember which batteries like being topped off vs run down and recharged. If I bring my SP3 to work every day and use it without the charger, then charge it around 15% at the end of the night is that ok or should I be keeping it topped off through the day?
    08-28-2014 10:40 AM
    How about I answer this question with, "It's complicated." I know - sounds like a cop-out, but really, it is the truth. Here's a link that explains it pretty well.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    rdubmu and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-28-2014 12:26 PM
    I always charge when I can because there are times when there are no outlets, when this happens, a battery dead surface pro is worthless to me (for use) besides admiring its beauty, kidding aside.

I usually keep my computers for at least 2-4 years, by that time the computer battery will be dead anyways
    08-28-2014 12:29 PM
    When I'm at home, I'm usually plugged in while using. That includes at my desk, where I have the SP3 hooked to two 24" monitors, so I have a three screen experience. Anywhere else, unless I plan on using it a LOT throughout the day, I leave the charger at home. If I think I may use it enough to get low, I grab the charger, as I am one of those people who is really paranoid about batteries - At work, the shelf that I built that holds two 22" monitors has a wireless charger built into it, and my phone sits on it unless I'm away from my desk. In the car, I've built a phone holder that has a wireless charger in it, and even if I'm driving a mile to the store, there's a good chance the phone is in it. So you get an idea how I am....
    08-28-2014 12:34 PM
    I can never remember which batteries like being topped off vs run down and recharged. If I bring my SP3 to work every day and use it without the charger, then charge it around 15% at the end of the night is that ok or should I be keeping it topped off through the day?
    Charge whenever you can. The hardware and OS will manage the battery. It is not recommended to let this type of battery run down to 0.
    You will notice that even though it may be plugged in it will show not charging at sometimes.
    08-28-2014 01:37 PM
    My take:
    charge whenever you want and as often.
    I recommend only really draining it to 0% once a month to calibrate it. but if you really have to use it and stuff, don't let it stop you from using it down to 0%.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-28-2014 02:02 PM