Anti-virus for SP3

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Aside from Microsoft's built-in antimalware, any recommendations for security software for my SP3 that's not going to kill my battery?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Surface Pro 3, but I like NOD32 from ESET on my Windows 8.1 PCs, since it is lightweight and doesn't slow down my PCs.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I haven't felt a need to use any 3rd party antivirus ever since security essentials was launched. I do however know better than to click on spurious links on pathetic websites

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if you use safe practices and don't visit the dark corners of the internet, windows defender should be fine
Adding 3rd party AV will decrease performance and lessen battery life. Very detrimental to a portable device

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Sly. Fully patched machine and safe browsing habits. I also use a TPL with IE11, which helps to cut down on any malware attempts from adverts.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
On my desktop I run AV, but I figured due to battery life and performance I'll just go with safe habits and Windows Defender, I've heard good things about it since WIndows 8 anyways.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't find it now, but I read an article from one of the respected sources a few weeks ago that rated the top 20 or 30 anti-malware products. It was a source that made their determinations through actual testing, not by the gut feelings of people who said, "I always use such and such and I've never been infected." I read it with interest because currently on my SP3 I'm just running Windows Defender.

While I don't remember the whole list, I did make note that Kaspersky was listed as number one. That's what I'm running on my server at home, as well as my entertainment PC, and both of my wife's PCs. I've used Kaspersky for at least 5 or 6 years, and I think longer than that, and cannot recall having been infected once while running it.

I want to say that Windows Defender was somewhere around 4 or 6 on the list.

Let me say that the reason I'm not running Kaspersky on my SP3 is because way back when Win8 was still in developer preview, or maybe it was right when Win8 had come out, I'd installed Kaspersky and it prevented my Windows Phone emulators from running, so I uninstalled it. Since then I've had an SP2 and an SP3, and I've just never tried installing Kaspersky again to see if they resolved that issue. Since I've been completely malware-free running Windows Defender, I didn't see the need to install Kaspersky again.

The most important thing to remember is that there is no anti-malware tool that will catch every bit of malware out there. It is important to use an anti-malware mentality when using a computer. Don't open attachments in email that you aren't expecting. Make sure the website you are entering info into is actually the website you think it is. Stay away from sites of the type that are more likely to try to install malware. You get the idea. Here's a link with some tips:
How to browse the internet safely in eight simple steps | AVG Blogs

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Haven't felt the needs to pay for AV software, and have used Avast! Home Edition for years now on lots of machines. It's light and gets the job done. I should really try Windows own software. If I had to pay for AV software then ESET is getting my cash, for NOD32.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
MS sales rep who sold me my SP3 recommended Kapersky because it was the least resource intensive.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
MS sales rep who sold me my SP3 recommended Kapersky because it was the least resource intensive.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30

I'd argue that Webroot is less resource intensive. And I have very strong opinions and experience with Webroot, Kaspersky, and Trend Micro as they are the AV's provided at my job. I've tried all of them and troubleshoot/install all of them for clients and my clients, coworkers, and I all agree that Webroot is by far the fastest and most reliable with Kaspersky in a very close second. Trend Micro is garbage, almost as bad as McAfee. Norton scans decent but is incredibly resource intensive and has too many bugs that hinder the PC. Avast and AVG are decent for free but Defender is better. NOD32 and Vipre are both good but not the best especially for the money. Again, in my experience, I can only suggest Webroot or Kaspersky if paid, and Defender if not paid.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am running Windows Defender and use the free version of Malwarebytes to scan every few weeks.

I've been thinking about trying Webroot though.

Last edited:

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
The best anti-virus and anti-malware resource is you, the user. You shouldn't need anything past Microsoft's built in software if you use safe browsing habits, don't open wild emails, and don't visit darker parts of the interwebz.

I haven't used AV or AM software in.......three to four years. Zero infections on my SP, PC, or SP3.

That said...I updated my wife's laptop to 8.1 with the latest Defender update and she got it infected inside of a week. She thinks clicking things is smart.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The best anti-virus and anti-malware resource is you, the user. You shouldn't need anything past Microsoft's built in software if you use safe browsing habits, don't open wild emails, and don't visit darker parts of the interwebz.

I haven't used AV or AM software in.......three to four years. Zero infections on my SP, PC, or SP3.

That said...I updated my wife's laptop to 8.1 with the latest Defender update and she got it infected inside of a week. She thinks clicking things is smart.
Precisely why my wife is on a Surface 2. No home IT required...

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Webroot is the fastest and the lightest AV in the market. I use it on my laptop and I highly recommend it. They offer the best support for users through their forum and support ticket system. You get rapid, helpful and to the point replies. Their products are not bloated unlike most other security solutions for pcs and tablets.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Built in antivirus in Windows 8 is great with a few extra recommendations:

- Don't install Java as it is mostly unrequired and has been very vulnerable
- Enable Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Explorer (Options/Advanced/Security)
- Use Internet Explorer to browse as the Smart Filter blocks most things even before the anti-virus
- Don't visit P*rn sites or similar (includes pirated X sites)

If you follow these suggestions you should be much safer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb