[SP3 i5 / 8GB rant] I can't wait until they fix these overheating issues.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Never had this problem with the SP2. I could play L4D2 at 1080p for a long time before the fan even kicked on. I'd run through half the battery with BlazBlue and have no abnormal drain to show for it.

...but this SP3... this damn SP3. I turn it on, dock it... and it's like outputting to a monitor is driving it nuts because I seriously just turned it on, went to get a sandwich, came back and it was at 181deg with the fan going loud as hell... and there's daily occurrences where I'll simply be browsing the web and it kicks on... strangely, I can be in Photoshop and Dreamweaver for 3 hours and it stays cool... I don't get what the hell's going on or why it simply won't stay at a reasonable temp like the SP2 did. Seems like the only noteworthy difference is connected standby.

Even more messed up is that this is the first Surface Pro that I decided to absolutely ball out on. Paid to get the i5 model with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage.

This even something that can be fixed? I'm seriously thinking about going back to the DV8P.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I might not be pushing my surface pro 3 but it has never over heated for me

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I might not be pushing my surface pro 3 but it has never over heated for me
Did they stealth release a revision? ...because it seems like in every thread where I see mass complaints about Surface Pro 3 overheating, there's always a user that's just not getting the issue everyone else is.

The crazy thing is that I'm far from pushing the SP3. Haven't gone anywhere near as heavy on my SP3 as I did my SP2... I'll just be browsing the web, yet it overheats like I'm trying to make it run BF4 on highest settings.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
That must be frustrating, all I am doing on sp3 is browsing the web, and the tablet seems to be heating up. I am getting annoyed by that. The fan is silent, but when I am using it as a tablet, it tends to be heating up. I have an i5/4gb unit. It is just infuriating in my opinion, otherwise, it is a perfect device.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Did they stealth release a revision? ...because it seems like in every thread where I see mass complaints about Surface Pro 3 overheating, there's always a user that's just not getting the issue everyone else is.

The crazy thing is that I'm far from pushing the SP3. Haven't gone anywhere near as heavy on my SP3 as I did my SP2... I'll just be browsing the web, yet it overheats like I'm trying to make it run BF4 on highest settings.
Either you are being dramatic or have a defective unit/software issue. When first turned on does it do this overtime or only when you first got it? Something like 60 updates download. Have you tried wiping and reinstall ? A pain but warranty support would tell you to that first. I agree about looking resource monitor, some websites have incredible flash usage. My I5/256Gb has no issues like yours except when downloading many or large updates the fan will run but not at max.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My unit has only gotten pretty warm a few times. Once was when doing the massive 40 something updates and the other time was when doing a full scan with Malwarebytes. Other times, depending on what I am doing, it gets warm but nothing concerning.

My MacBook Pro got just as warm, my iPad got much hotter and my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 got warmer than the SP3. If you consider what's inside the SP3 and then factor in it's size, it's really quite amazing that it stays as cool as it does.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same I5/256/8GB model and I don't experience any overheating issues. Initially when I first got it and was installing all the updates it got fairly hot and the fan ramped up pretty good, but I certainly wouldn't say it was overheating. Since then, I've had it get warm when primarily playing games, but again nowhere near overheating and I had to actually put my ear next to the vents to hear that the fan was running. I've definitely not had it heat up at all when just browsing the web or doing other non CPU/GPU intensive tasks. Not sure what's going on with yours.

-Skippy

Racheya

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have an i7/256Gb Pro and it overheats like a b**ch. Seriously. If I do anything other than browse the internet the fan starts up - even when it's downloading windows updates in the background. It's meltingly hot as well when it does heat up - which is annoying when trying to play games. Great otherwise, but damn it gets hot.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
No heat issues here. Only rarely gets warm to the touch. I don't play games, but it's never overheated running Office 2013, Drawboard, IE/IE Touch, Citrix, Acrobat Pro XI, Photoshop Elements 12, Chrome and other common desktop and Metro software. Even docked to an SP3 dock driving a Dell 30" external display.

i5/8GB/256GB

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

austen0316

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got the i5/128gb version last Sunday and this past week while just browsing the web it starts to get real hot and the fan kicks on. This is happening every time I use it now. They really need to fix this asap.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
No heat issue nor fan noise at all on an i5 128GB model using OneNote, Word, browsing, playing/streaming movies, music and games.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Never had this problem with the SP2. I could play L4D2 at 1080p for a long time before the fan even kicked on. I'd run through half the battery with BlazBlue and have no abnormal drain to show for it.

...but this SP3... this damn SP3. I turn it on, dock it... and it's like outputting to a monitor is driving it nuts because I seriously just turned it on, went to get a sandwich, came back and it was at 181deg with the fan going loud as hell... and there's daily occurrences where I'll simply be browsing the web and it kicks on... strangely, I can be in Photoshop and Dreamweaver for 3 hours and it stays cool... I don't get what the hell's going on or why it simply won't stay at a reasonable temp like the SP2 did. Seems like the only noteworthy difference is connected standby.

Even more messed up is that this is the first Surface Pro that I decided to absolutely ball out on. Paid to get the i5 model with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage.

This even something that can be fixed? I'm seriously thinking about going back to the DV8P.

I push mine hard in Photoshop, Lightroom, and other applications and it does not overheat. Leaving that aside, have you bothered to contact Surface support? Ranting about a defective product, as if it was sold as is with no warranty, instead of getting it replaced, seems to fail a basic logic test. Use your warranty and replace the device. Of course if you prefer to just whine about it that is your choice. I cannot say though that I can find much sympathy for anyone who would rather hold on to a defective product while waiting for some magical and mythical fix instead of getting it fixed. I have used Surface support in the past, including for an overheating Surface RT, and on every occasion they have been courteous and efficient.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got the i5 256 and I'm having the same problem. Hopefully it gets fixed this next patch Tuesday or I'm gonna take it in. I've done a refresh and reset and that hasn't solved anything :-/

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine has heated up and fan some on but only occasionally and I am not a gamer so cannot speak to that. When I first used Outlook 2013 and it was taking 30+ minutes to sync folders it heated up. Not crazy but I could hear the fan going for the first time. Watching video via IE seems to also trigger it as well. It's not terribly hot but noticeable.

When I use apps like Netflix or Hulu, it does NOT heat up at all. When I use iTunes to watch a movie or Xbox movies I have downloaded, it does not heat up. I also made sure that I disabled unneeded apps that start up and then run in the background that I do not need, like Chrome, GoToMeeting, etc.

Not really been an issue for me and I too have the i5 8G version.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine has heated up and fan some on but only occasionally and I am not a gamer so cannot speak to that. When I first used Outlook 2013 and it was taking 30+ minutes to sync folders it heated up. Not crazy but I could hear the fan going for the first time. Watching video via IE seems to also trigger it as well. It's not terribly hot but noticeable.

When I use apps like Netflix or Hulu, it does NOT heat up at all. When I use iTunes to watch a movie or Xbox movies I have downloaded, it does not heat up. I also made sure that I disabled unneeded apps that start up and then run in the background that I do not need, like Chrome, GoToMeeting, etc.

Not really been an issue for me and I too have the i5 8G version.
Does it heat up if you play microsoft's card games?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo