SP3 and Outlook

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Had my SP3 now for 2 months. Love it. Convinced 3 others in my department to switch from MacAir to this. HOWEVER.

I was able to work around the fact that Google Calendar does not sync freely with Windows. I know you can import but it does not refresh added events, which is no good obviously.

I did, however, go to outlook.com, subscribe to my own calendar, and now I can see my events and according to Microsoft, events will be refreshed at least every 24 hours when changed or added. That's a plus. The thing I don't like is that I don't think I can repeat the subscription for all 5 of my other employees. Not 100% positive on that but I don't see and "add a subscription" just Subscribe (which is different than import).

BUT...I'd like to get my Google Calendar into Outlook 2013 using the same method, just subscribing, and apparently, there does not seem to be a workaround for this. However, maybe I am missing something and there is. Again, I don't want to import calendars over and over again. Love the fact I can see my events from Google Calendar in the Calendar App now for Windows, but it would be more useful to have that now work with Outlook 2013. I guess I assumed that it would sync that like it did with Outlook.com but maybe I am missing something? Any ideas?

Thanks

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are using google apps for business you should be able to get everything into outlook. EAS is still present for business users. If you are using a free account, switch everything over to outlook.com including your email (as an alias) there is a setting which you can have all your devices send email from.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
If you are using google apps for business you should be able to get everything into outlook. EAS is still present for business users. If you are using a free account, switch everything over to outlook.com including your email (as an alias) there is a setting which you can have all your devices send email from.

WHOA...Hold the phone. I AM a Google Apps for Business user and have not been able to connect any calendars to outlook or anything for that matter. I entered in all my info and nothing works for it. Pretty sure from reading that EAS is not working at all for anyone. Where are you getting this from?

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I think I found the solution, I believe there is a add on for outlook 2013 to make it work.

How to Sync Outlook and Google Apps | PCMag.com

PC Mag said:
Thankfully, Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook lets you take advantage of most of Outlook's tools—but only for Outlook 2010 so far. If you run Office 2013, you can still connect to a Gmail account through IMAP, but this will only get you mail, no calendars, tasks, or contacts.

Edit #1: Scratch that, the site says Outlook 2013 is supported: Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook | Google

The Metro Calendar app just won't sync, even with Google Apps for Business, by design: Microsoft confirms it's shut off Windows 8-Google Apps calendar sync | Computerworld

Edit #2: Google Apps for Business, Education, or Government users need the admin to first make the changes as mentioned under Administrator setup for Google Apps Sync > Google Apps requirements and settings > Settings you need to make in the Google Admin console on this page.

Last edited:

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Edit #1: Scratch that, the site says Outlook 2013 is supported: Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook | Google

The Metro Calendar app just won't sync, even with Google Apps for Business, by design: Microsoft confirms it's shut off Windows 8-Google Apps calendar sync | Computerworld

Edit #2: Google Apps for Business, Education, or Government users need the admin to first make the changes as mentioned under Administrator setup for Google Apps Sync > Google Apps requirements and settings > Settings you need to make in the Google Admin console on this page.

Thank you for the help. I installed the sync application and it in fact works! I am wondering what kind of hit on battery life I will be taking as Google generally sucks up battery but I am thankful it works. I had to remove my other account and redo it all but it works and synced up all my calendars. Strange though how I am subscribed to 8 calendars and instead of showing all activities on 1 calendar it only displays it for each person on separate calendars. In Google Calendar it's color coded and I see a lot of events each day for the month vs. 1 calendar for each person, but, beggars can't be....etc.

Thanks for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss