Weird Conductive 'Feeling' when on charge?

Racheya

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Okay so this may sound weird but I want to know if anyone else has this.

I have a Pro 3 with i7/256Gb and I've noticed that when I put it on charge and touch the metal case around the charger it can feel a very slight 'conductive' feeling - that's the only way I can describe it. When I take the charger out I can't feel it anymore but as soon as it's back in I can feel it - even in the kickstand a little bit, and on the opposite side of the surface, and on the corners now that I'm trying everywhere...

It's kind of bizarre and a little bit worrying? Does anyone else have this?

Aeons

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a very bad problem whilst using my Bose headphones. When the power supply is connected I get a lot of static noise. I'm not sure if its related but its coming from the power supply also.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Damn, I was hoping not to see a post like this.
I've had this on my RT since it was released, but I was hoping it would have been sorted by now!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a very bad problem whilst using my Bose headphones. When the power supply is connected I get a lot of static noise. I'm not sure if its related but its coming from the power supply also.
That is 100% normal. It is a common problem with on board sound chips. Why? Because 2$ sound chip are usually used, and it shares the power of the system board. When it comes to audio, it is very picky, and tricky. Any interference at any level, even from nearby components will affect audio just from the interference they produce..
That is why in the audio equipment world, if you want someone good, you have to cash out some serious money. You need a power supply that provides a clean and stable current and ideally, dedicated, you need an amplifier that adds no interference or static, and doesn't alter sound (or maybe you do, depending on taste...), you need special capacitors that doesn't alter the sound, you need a good digital to analogue converter chip, and actually there is more.

That is why, if you want to push your headphones to make them provide to their best of abilities, the best sound, you need a dedicated sound card or sound system, this include having a clean, interference free sound, and power to operate high ohm headphones. That is why, some people, such as myself, purchase dedicated sound cards. In my case, I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX.
P_500.jpg

You can notice from the picture, that it features a dedicated 4-pin power plug, where it gets the power from the system power supply (so yes, a good power supply is a must, lucky it's not too pricey to get), EMI shield plate, and well, it's big... definitely something that can't fit in the Surface Pro, let alone a 17inch laptop.
Here is a side view:
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

It's also costly. A dedicated sound card, a good one, like above, is around 150-200$ U.S, depending on where you get it, if you wait for specials.
They are other solutions, of course, like USB sound cards, or simply connecting the system to a sound system, if you have the space and money for.

Personally, I use the Audio-Technica M40x headphones.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a Pro 3 with i7/256Gb and I've noticed that when I put it on charge and touch the metal case around the charger it can feel a very slight 'conductive' feeling - that's the only way I can describe it. When I take the charger out I can't feel it anymore but as soon as it's back in I can feel it - even in the kickstand a little bit, and on the opposite side of the surface, and on the corners now that I'm trying everywhere...
I've experienced something similar even with the older models. When you lightly run your fingers over the tablet while it's charging, at certain places you'll feel what I can only describe as a slight buzz. Is that what you're feeling too?

That is 100% normal. It is a common problem with on board sound chips.
I haven't experienced it. So your SP3 behaves the same way when you plug in headphones while charging? Also I thought the Surface lineup used Wolfson chips which are supposed to be good. Or was that only in the Surface RT? Does anyone know what audio chips/DAC the Surface 2, Pro, Pro 2 and Pro 3 use?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't experienced it. So your SP3 behaves the same way when you plug in headphones while charging? Also I thought the Surface lineup used Wolfson chips which are supposed to be good. Or was that only in the Surface RT? Does anyone know what audio chips/DAC the Surface 2, Pro, Pro 2 and Pro 3 use?

Surface Pro 1 uses Realtek ALC3230
Surface Pro 2 uses Realtek ALC3230
Surface Pro 3 uses Realtek ALC3264

In my case, I can't really hear it. I can hear a continuous small hiss sound, but very very faint. I need to be in every quiet room to hear it when I plugged in. I can hear it, if I am on battery and turn off my desktop, but I noticed that it stops about less than 1 sec after music paused. I guess it's the sound chip that mutes to save power when no sound.

But using my desktop onboard sound chip, it's god awful. You hear the interference from just moving the cursor on the screen (which every desktop I ever had do this, even with motherboards that claims to use "premium" sound chip. It's fine for me, as I buy a sound card, and it lasts me several computer upgrades. I usually change it because of Windows drivers, or some jack broke, or I seek for a better sound.) As for my old laptop, well I didn't have my headphones then, but I can tell you, my 30$ ****ty emergency Sony headphones (others broke), it was horrible. I didn't hear the static using them, but the audio was exceptional horrible, but if I plug a stereo to it, you hear some heavy, like heavy, static, when plugged in. Not on battery. I didn't try on my Surface Pro 2, to be honest, so I don't know.

So, I don't know, in your case, if it's because of the sound chip, or the way it was implemented on the Pro 3 more tighter circuitry, or your headphones that is able to sensible enough to hear it (low impedance is the factor?! I don't know, I am guessing.)

It is the Surface 1(aka: RT) that has the Wolfson chip

All I can think about is the following:
-> Close nay running music program
-> Go to Windows sound option panel, and make sure that everything is muted as inputs (microphones/line in if any is there)
-> Double click on your headphones under the Playback tab. Another panel will show.
-> On that panel, go under the Advanced tab, and set the format to the highest quality, and hit Apply. You can close everything
-> Now try playing some music. Does that help a bit?

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pro 3 with i7/256Gb and I've noticed that when I put it on charge and touch the metal case around the charger it can feel a very slight 'conductive' feeling - that's the only way I can describe it.

I've experienced this same 'tingle' when charging on all three of my SPs - the classic SP, SP2, and now the SP3. Interestingly, though, they'd only do it when charging from a 220v power outlet, as I currently use in Australia, and not from 110v outlets in the U.S. I haven't had the SP3 in the U.S. yet, so we'll see if it behaves the same when I travel back there next.

I'd be curious to hear from others that travel internationally between the U.S. and 220v countries to see if their experiences match up.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Okay so this may sound weird but I want to know if anyone else has this.

It's kind of bizarre and a little bit worrying? Does anyone else have this?
1) No it is absolutely not normal. You really are not supposed to be part of a de facto ground fault circuit for your tablet when plugged in to an outlet. Anyone who thinks this is normal is risking damage to their tablet and (far more importantly) themselves. There are a small number of people who are genuinely sensitive to minor electric discharge but that is not something about which you should speculate. Normally it is indicative of a short in the charging system or defect in its grounding.
2) Do people really need advice regarding what to do when getting a mild electric shock when their device is plugged in to a power outlet? That is what is happening. This is not something about which you need an ill informed consensus opinion. Would you ask the internet for advice if you picked up any other device with a cord and you could feel an electric discharge. Call Surface support....

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just further to the above post....
Whilst technically I agree, in reality I've had this on 2 brand new units.
And there are a number of threads about it too... so rather than pitching in with the "do people really need advice..." quote, how about you read around a little and see how widespread this is over a plethora of devices.

Racheya

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've experienced something similar even with the older models. When you lightly run your fingers over the tablet while it's charging, at certain places you'll feel what I can only describe as a slight buzz. Is that what you're feeling too?

That's exactly the feeling, yes. Like a slight buzz, probably a better way to put it.

Ooohh an idea.
Which country are you in, and does the Surface Pro 3 have a ground on the power wall plug or not?

It's UK so it's a 3 pin plug plugged into the wall socket.

1) No it is absolutely not normal. You really are not supposed to be part of a de facto ground fault circuit for your tablet when plugged in to an outlet. Anyone who thinks this is normal is risking damage to their tablet and (far more importantly) themselves. There are a small number of people who are genuinely sensitive to minor electric discharge but that is not something about which you should speculate. Normally it is indicative of a short in the charging system or defect in its grounding.
2) Do people really need advice regarding what to do when getting a mild electric shock when their device is plugged in to a power outlet? That is what is happening. This is not something about which you need an ill informed consensus opinion. Would you ask the internet for advice if you picked up any other device with a cord and you could feel an electric discharge. Call Surface support....

Fair enough if it was actually 'shocking' me but since it doesn't remotely hurt I suppose I never considered it could be anything really serious. I did entertain the idea it could be something electrical I suppose, but when you put it that way I suppose I do sound like a bit of an ***** :p

Those are interesting links, thanks. I was only looking around the SP3 forum for discussion rather than any of the other surface forums

Last edited:

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly the feeling, yes. Like a slight buzz, probably a better way to put it.
Doesn't seem like a 'shock' to me either. A very mild electric discharge while charging perhaps (maybe I'm one of those sensitive ones!), and so far doesn't seem to have caused any issues so I've never worried about it.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing on the SP2 and had it before that on the SP1. Never had any problems with the devices other than that tingling while charging so I considered it a case of normal behavior :grin:

Aeons

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the 2 pin European plug which I'm guessing hasn't got a ground pin?

Saying that I've had a few other devices and brands before and never experienced this e.g. iPad. I may as well not even have a sound card on board its that bad/unusable on my SP3.

Getting a constant buzz or slight shock can't be good design, healthy or even legal can it? Pretty sure here in Germany its not.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the 2 pin European plug which I'm guessing hasn't got a ground pin?

Saying that I've had a few other devices and brands before and never experienced this e.g. iPad. I may as well not even have a sound card on board its that bad/unusable on my SP3.

Getting a constant buzz or slight shock can't be good design, healthy or even legal can it? Pretty sure here in Germany its not.

Hmm.. yea... I thought because of the ground. So I don't know then,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte