My Surface is scratched :(

Pablo Sormi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine SP3 did scratch from lying on the desk...i just turned it to show the screen to a person on the other side of a desk....bam! I got two mega round scratches ....
So ppl who are judging others are ppl who didnt hold the device for a longer than 15 minutes.

It is very delicate...and now i use an MacBook Air sleeve for transport.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
at least the SP3 is silver colored.

my SP2 is charcoal/black. and its finish got torn up in my messenger bag (because I didn't put it in a protective compartment so all my books, pens, wires, etc. were in there to stratch it up.

I bought a Skinit skin. Looks much nicer than the black anyway.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You can't do a whole lot about the existing scratches but you can do something about getting more of them with a skin, a sleeve and common sense.

When I read the topic, I thought it was about a scratch on the screen. Yikes.

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Out of interest... has anyone experienced sticker skins causing the SP paint to wear off? Slightly concerned by this amazon review for the SP2 model (Chen Chen, 11 Nov 2013):

Very hard to install. Paint was peeled off when removed the film!!! This is the worst screen protector I have ever bought.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
my screen is scratched. not by me, but it came lightly scratched. I thought it was stain, but its manufacturers fault. I did not notice this until at the end of the month because when the screen is lit, you don't notice it. It only bothers me when the screen is off.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
my screen is scratched. not by me, but it came lightly scratched. I thought it was stain, but its manufacturers fault. I did not notice this until at the end of the month because when the screen is lit, you don't notice it. It only bothers me when the screen is off.
Are you sure you didn't get it scratch. It's hard to miss a scratch on the screen. You should have noticed it the moment you opened it on the box.
If you plan to use the pen, a screen protector is what I recommend.

I recommend Phantom Glass, because among the many brands I tried, it is the only that is a serious product. It's literally a Gorilla Glass that you put on your surface pro, and it's very thin (thinnest I found). So your pen and touch experience is identical to the one of the Surface Pro.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Out of interest... has anyone experienced sticker skins causing the SP paint to wear off? Slightly concerned by this amazon review for the SP2 model (Chen Chen, 11 Nov 2013):

Very hard to install. Paint was peeled off when removed the film!!! This is the worst screen protector I have ever bought.

why would you put the skinomi on the metal??? it's meant for the glass..

by the way, i don't recommend the skinomi techskin at all!!! I used it on my Icon. applied on perfectly. 3 weeks later, it was a hot summer day, there was also a runaway app on the Icon making it really hot, some business cards were in my pocket as well. The heat caused the skin to really soften. A corner of the skin came off, stuck to the a business card, tore the paper off the business card, impossible to clean. Contacted Skinomi twice with no reply. warranty, my a$$.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
isn't gorilla glass on top of gorilla glass kind of weird? :winktongue:

Are you sure you didn't get it scratch. It's hard to miss a scratch on the screen. You should have noticed it the moment you opened it on the box.

I recommend Phantom Glass, because among the many brands I tried, it is the only that is a serious product. It's literally a Gorilla Glass that you put on your surface pro, and it's very thin (thinnest I found). So your pen and touch experience is identical to the one of the Surface Pro.

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
why would you put the skinomi on the metal??? it's meant for the glass..

by the way, i don't recommend the skinomi techskin at all!!! I used it on my Icon. applied on perfectly. 3 weeks later, it was a hot summer day, there was also a runaway app on the Icon making it really hot, some business cards were in my pocket as well. The heat caused the skin to really soften. A corner of the skin came off, stuck to the a business card, tore the paper off the business card, impossible to clean. Contacted Skinomi twice with no reply. warranty, my a$$.

Doesn't sound great! Actually I'm not planning on putting a screen protector on the SP3 (its gorilla glass anyway as you say, and when its not in use I'll keep it in the touch cover). You can actually buy Skinomi type products for the whole body not just screen, to provide the same protection from scratches etc.

If it was a standard metal or plastic casing I wouldn't bother as they're pretty robust materials against standard use. But the magnesium apparently scratches like a mofo (I presume it is paint that is scratching) so I feel like I need to add some cover to the body, But if the skin may peel off the paint then that really would defeat the point!

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Doh, sorry... just reread the part where you said you didn't install the screen cover :) I'm more interested in the back and side covers anyway. I'm the second owner of an SP2 that was "well used," so while the screen is great, the sides and back have some scratching. I think I'll pick one of these up and go without the front piece as well.

According to some post on another site the edge swiping is fully functional with the skin installed for the front of the device.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

10580764_760440924012568_7761394494462562025_o.jpg
notice in the middle, is my fingerprint slid across the line. It hides when it is wiped at a certain way. Its a really weird scratch. You can't even feel it if you put your finger on it. Its not as deep, but it is there.
10668875_760446717345322_4297889776783310223_o.jpg

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If it was a standard metal or plastic casing I wouldn't bother as they're pretty robust materials against standard use. But the magnesium apparently scratches like a mofo (I presume it is paint that is scratching) so I feel like I need to add some cover to the body, But if the skin may peel off the paint then that really would defeat the point!

yeah, the scratching off of the paint on the magnesium on my SP2 makes it look really ugly and cheap (especially since it's a charcoal black/gray). that's why i'm getting a skinit skin for it. I have skinit for my 360 and it looks great. I'm just waiting for a nice sale. I missed the 40% labor day sale.

here's the skin on my 360:

eiwfg1.jpg

And here's my skin for my SP2 (I'll order when there's another major sale):

2wegw76.jpg

I already measured. the Windows logo and the UCLA logos will fit on the kickstand

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a "Brushed Graphite" skin from stickerboy.net and think it not only protects my SP3 but makes it look better as well.
Graphite_Brushed.jpg
Not cheap though, $40 for front, back and sides. You can get a skin for just the back for $20.

I also have a sleeve that I put the SP3 in for traveling.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Two easy and cheap ways to avoid this. Get a sleeve for your SP3 or go to somewhere like StickerBoy and get a skin. The SP3 is awesome but you can't bang it around like a big old laptop with a plastic lid. Also be careful with the glass. It will shatter if too much pressure is put on it.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Would T-cut work do you think?
T-Cut basically is a product that act like sand paper, it is a mildly abrasive solution which remove the surround paint to hide the light scratches, and replaces with it's own filler color. So the buying the correct color is important.

The product is deigned for cars, where the paint work is usually thick, and/or multi-layered, and features a clear coating on it. Consumer products aren't painted the same way. So I have a feeling the results will be ugly.

If you are willing to take a chance, be sure the device is perfectly clean with no soap or cleaning product left over (in other words, use a clean damp cloth and clean over the area you'll work, after you cleaned your Surface Pro, to make sure there is no left over cleaning solution. This is what the company recommends when using their product, and using a very soft cloth as else it can damage on its own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05