SP3 Thermal throttling

Robindjuret

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Have they fixed the thermal throttling issue yet? I'm choosing between the SP3 and Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. The pen of the surface makes it my favorite choice but I'd like to play a game of starcraft 2 from time to time. From what I understand this will be unbearable on the SP3 due to thermal throttling.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
star craft 2 isn't heavy. the throttling of the SP3 is greatly exaggerated. you'll game just fine.
and no they can't just "fix" the throttling since it's a physical characteristic.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I just read about that ;)

All in all, battery monitoring and customizable performance profiles are features that make ThrottleStop a handy application for laptop CPU throttling and overclocking. Only use it if you have a strong documentation, because sloppy handling can literally fry your CPU.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I just read about that ;)

All in all, battery monitoring and customizable performance profiles are features that make ThrottleStop a handy application for laptop CPU throttling and overclocking. Only use it if you have a strong documentation, because sloppy handling can literally fry your CPU.

Ive used it for years on various machines without issue. But of course monitor temps and keep things under 90c. It is really only necessary during gaming anyway.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Have they fixed the thermal throttling issue yet? I'm choosing between the SP3 and Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. The pen of the surface makes it my favorite choice but I'd like to play a game of starcraft 2 from time to time. From what I understand this will be unbearable on the SP3 due to thermal throttling.

The quick answer is no, it still throttles. You will see degraded performance in even simple games like Minecraft after 5-10 minutes of playtime. There are ways to make the throttling a little less worse, but compared to the average laptop it is much more aggressive and will likely impact your gaming no matter what you do. I know some love the other aspects of the Surface Pro 3 and thus will likely try to sway you towards it, but gaming and sustained CPU performance is the Achilles heel of the Surface Pro 3.

So buy the Lenovo and save yourself some pain. Unless you want to wait for the Broadwell refresh of Surface Pro 3 which will likely rectify the throttling, but there is no timetable when that might be out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6