OneNote crashes a lot

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My main use of the SP3 is as a notebook to take notes in class and every day I always have OneNote crashing on me 1-3 times. This is extremely frustrating and is ridiculous for such a high-end device. The actual mechanism of taking note is really nice! just that the stability of OneNote is nowhere where it should be at for just a simple blank pad to write on. Is anyone else having this problem? any solution? I've tried to reset onenote once already when it asks me to after a crash.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know that OneNote on my RT does not crash at all. Sadly, I don't have an SP3. However! Both my boss and the CEO (my boss' boss' boss' boss) have SP3s and they are not experiencing the same issues. They both use both the desktop and "metro" OneNote apps, as well.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've just reinstalled it. I'm going to test it tomorrow in class. Do they use the pen to take notes? I have a feeling the crashes are due to pen input

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had a OneNote crash on my SP3. I use the pen in both modern and desktop. I absolutely love using the SP3 as a notepad!

I think the reinstall will do the trick for you.

Matt Parker1

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've been having the same OneNote issues (amongst other bugs) on my SP3 since the most recent update. I've haven't gotten a response yet from the OneNote team on twitter... But it is getting quite frustrating, as the problem has been consistent for the last few weeks.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Are we talking about the OneNote app in the windows 8 store? Or the OneNote desktop application? I use the OneNote desktop application all the time with the pen without issues.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Try taking hand written notes in landscape. Ive noticed OneNote is most stable then. Also you don't accidentally palm the Windows button when writing. If you are right handed, just flip your SP3 upside down.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Took notes for 75 minutes today in portrait. Hasn't crashed. I think the reinstall may have fixed it. Although I didn't write much today compared to other days so nothing conclusive yet

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait for OneNote to eventually merge.

Honestly, I prefer the Metro version because it's more touch friendly and easier to work with. It's just missing so many features of the desktop version. But the desktop version layout is more meant to be used in landscape rather than in portrait mode.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
It's happened to me multiple times since the last major software "fix" that was updated a couple weeks ago. Suddenly just freezes and crashes.

basurtoisaac

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this bug. I Thought I was the only person that was plagued by this. It sucks when I'm writing notes during class and it just crashes me out of the app. Does anybody have any suggestions ? I've reinstalled the app, cleaned the disk but nothing. I noticed this starting occurring ever since i updated the app to be able to take screenshot

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
nvm after update crashes are even worse. before, when it wants to crash, it'd freeze for 2s, then quits. now it freezes for 20s before it quits. sometime i have to force restart it. it's so embarrassing when classmates glance over to see my app crashing :( it's also ridiculously distracting and annoying.

johnepedersen

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
never crashed on me, and I use the pen alot in class. Only problem I've had is that when I used the desktop-version for some time, and open Modern OneNote the sync takes forever, and sometimes the sync crashes. but this was solved by closing the notebook that refused to sync and reopen it.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ive tried everything short of a Windows hard reset.
It crashed 3 times in the span of a few minutes in class today which was extremely annoying and distracting!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte