Advice needed for soon-to-be SP3 owner

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to take delivery of the SP3 within a week or so, and I have some questions I'm hoping people can help me with:

1. Wireless mouse - I was told that only the Microsoft wireless mouse can work without an additional adaptor. Are there any third party mouse that can work directly through Bluetooth?

2. USB port - does it work well with a USB hub connected to a portable hard disk, phone and possibly a mouse?

3. Wireless hard disk - I'm thinking of getting one since my 128Gb won't be enough for media files. Will I be able to use that, simultaneously with WIFI data on?

Thank you in advance!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
1. The mouse will work, but you need to pair it just like any other Bluetooth device
2. It is a full USB port, and it should work fine if compatible with SP3
3. If the router will let it access it, you should beable to see it, I would see the OEM of the wireless hard drive for more information to ensure it will work.

It is a full windows computer, so pretty much anything that is compatible with windows works on the SP3

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
In regards to the wireless hard drive thing, some come with a 'WiFi pass-through' feature that specifically allows you to connect to a wireless network through the hard drive so you can be connected to both. My friend has one for his 16GB iPhone 4 :p

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2TB Western Digital MyCloud drive connected via ethernet to my network which my SP3 connects to via WiFi. Works great.

itsJuicy

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
1. if it's a Bluetooth mouse, it will work without any adapter
2. yes...I have an usb hub connected, and I have the wired internet connection, external hard drive connected to it
3. no experience in this one

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm also getting the Office 365 Personal together with the purchase, but the SP3 is going to be shared with other users. I understand the 365 Personal will be tied to my Microsoft account and only for one user? Is there a "lite" version of Office that can be used for guest accounts on my SP3 that does not require subscription?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm also getting the Office 365 Personal together with the purchase, but the SP3 is going to be shared with other users. I understand the 365 Personal will be tied to my Microsoft account and only for one user? Is there a "lite" version of Office that can be used for guest accounts on my SP3 that does not require subscription?

If they have a Microsoft Account, then they can use Word Online, Access Online, PowerPoint Online and OneNote Online through outlook.com and save documents to their OneDrive.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried using Seagate Wireless Plus? I'm wondering whether I will be able to maintain WIFI internet connection if I connect to this drive wirelessly.

Also, a couple more questions:

1. I installed the WPC app, but there seems to be no access to the forum from this app. Am I missing something?

2. To use the SP3 in pure tablet mode, I have flipped the touch cover backwards, and the kickstand rests on the front cover. However, this means that the keyboard will now be in contact with the table/lap. It kind of feels a bit awkward. So I have actually detached the cover and turned it so that the kickstand will rest on the keyboard. How are you guys handling this?

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to take delivery of the SP3 within a week or so, and I have some questions I'm hoping people can help me with:

1. Wireless mouse - I was told that only the Microsoft wireless mouse can work without an additional adaptor. Are there any third party mouse that can work directly through Bluetooth?

2. USB port - does it work well with a USB hub connected to a portable hard disk, phone and possibly a mouse?

3. Wireless hard disk - I'm thinking of getting one since my 128Gb won't be enough for media files. Will I be able to use that, simultaneously with WIFI data on?

Thank you in advance!

Yes to all three. I've done it on my SP3.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried using Seagate Wireless Plus? I'm wondering whether I will be able to maintain WIFI internet connection if I connect to this drive wirelessly.

Also, a couple more questions:

1. I installed the WPC app, but there seems to be no access to the forum from this app. Am I missing something?

2. To use the SP3 in pure tablet mode, I have flipped the touch cover backwards, and the kickstand rests on the front cover. However, this means that the keyboard will now be in contact with the table/lap. It kind of feels a bit awkward. So I have actually detached the cover and turned it so that the kickstand will rest on the keyboard. How are you guys handling this?

I can answer the first one. You're not doing anything wrong, the Windows 8 app doesn't have that functionality at this time. That is something that I would imagine they're working on.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Another question... I have tried installing apps from the app store, and when signed in as another user, I have installed the same apps (common ones like FB etc). It seems that each app is being downloaded and installed separately for each user, and occupy twice the amount of space than it needed to. Is this normal? Why can't it recognize that the app has been installed and allow a different user to sign on with their own ID?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05