Windows 10 Preview on SP3

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am having issues with the split screen. I actually like the touch gestures in Windows 8. Sometimes I can go 4 across, other times it just doesn't work :(

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
How do we get Windows apps such as Netflix to go full screen and cover the sidebar as well without hiding the sidebar? When I select full screen I can still see the sidebar.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Wow, the more I get into Windows 10 the more impressed I am. The public is going to LOVE this. Virtual Desktops is the killer feature. It really makes it like having a multi-monitor setup on your SP3 without the other monitors. Also being able to swipe from the left and choose from full sized thumbnails of current apps on that desktop or choose a different desktop. Super fast and fluid. Also love that Windows Apps are now windowed and sizeable. I can watch my Netflix in a sizable windowed app.

Having the old W8 desktop icons to the right of the W7 style Start Button Menu is also brilliant and very convenient.

So far I am VERY impressed.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow, the more I get into Windows 10 the more impressed I am. The public is going to LOVE this. Virtual Desktops is the killer feature. It really makes it like having a multi-monitor setup on your SP3 without the other monitors. Also being able to swipe from the left and choose from full sized thumbnails of current apps on that desktop or choose a different desktop. Super fast and fluid. Also love that Windows Apps are now windowed and sizeable.

Completely agree, I am extremely excited to follow W10's progress over the coming months. Its already awesome and its only going to get better - Adam

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree, I am extremely excited to follow W10's progress over the coming months. Its already awesome and its only going to get better - Adam

You can really tell a new man is running the show over there. Windows 10 seems as if it was designed by one well organized team from he ground up as opposed to 10 different teams then hastily pasted together at the end. Everything actually makes sense. Gone are all of the intuitive dead ends. Instead of two systems, Desktop and MUI, it seems like one seamless hybrid system.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
There may be major bugs but for the life of me I can't find them. Still no harm in waiting but my guess is you succumb within a month. :)

There is a high probability of that... but I want to wait at least until I am done travelling this month as I use my SP3 for work when I travel.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
There is a high probability of that... but I want to wait at least until I am done travelling this month as I use my SP3 for work when I travel.

Windows 10 is like the fat pretty girl that lost weight. She always had potential but now she is FINE.

The thing I like the best is how you can fly around the OS. Everything is a click away with no dead ends.

twoarmtom

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I did it, and now have spent hours trying to use my recovery USB drive (with no luck) to revert back. I was loving it until I did a restart and can no longer access my home network, I connect to WiFi, but there is no network activity coming through at all. Task manager was running wild with "Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted)". I'm not computer savvy (enough) to figure out the cause. So I"m trying a reset now. I know.......MS warned us not to do it unless we're super nerdy. But I really only use Office apps and a browser so I didn't see what the problem would be. So frustrating.

Update: I reset (erased everything), it kept Windows 10 and now my network connection is working. Probably best to do a clean install.

Last edited:

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Have any of the gesturing changed? While I'm used to it now on my SP3, but some of the gesturing makes no sense. For example, right side to middle to change program settings. It should be top swipe down like every other OS. But the biggest complaint is the gesture to shut down an app (side swipe then down). Very inefficient. They need to do it the way it's done on PlayBook / BB10.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

laestrella

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I had issues using my recovery USB. Had to go to a ms store and reset from a windows 8.1 DVD. Apparently you are able to use the recovery USB if you wipe the partitions using the disk part command in the command prompt option. But I haven't done it and I'm no expert.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I did it, and now have spent hours trying to use my recovery USB drive (with no luck) to revert back. I was loving it until I did a restart and can no longer access my home network, I connect to WiFi, but there is no network activity coming through at all. Task manager was running wild with "Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted)". I'm not computer savvy (enough) to figure out the cause. So I"m trying a reset now. I know.......MS warned us not to do it unless we're super nerdy. But I really only use Office apps and a browser so I didn't see what the problem would be. So frustrating.

Hmmm, I'm not having any of those issues. Try deleting all of your wifi connections as well as your homegroup, unplug your router for 60 seconds, plug it back in, reboot your SP3 then set up everything again.

If this doesn't work, just re-install Windows 10 as you did the first time.

** Also good idea to turn off automatic Windows updates and do that manually for now. Only install things like Defender Updates, etc. Don't install any system updates for now. I did that on my first W10 install and it broke the boot sequence.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Have any of the gesturing changed? While I'm used to it now on my SP3, but some of the gesturing makes no sense. For example, right side to middle to change program settings. It should be top swipe down like every other OS. But the biggest complaint is the gesture to shut down an app (side swipe then down). Very inefficient. They need to do it the way it's done on PlayBook / BB10.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

You no longer swipe down to close apps. All apps are windowed so you just click the little X as in Windows 7. Swiping from the left brings out much improved thumbnail images of your open apps and virtual desktops. Very cool and easy to manipulate. Swipe from the right still brings u Charms Bar.

This now feels like all one system instead of two distinct systems.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Here's a bug I've noticed. When using Windows Hulu Player app, there is no way to pause or stop a video once started without closing the app. You also can't make the app full screen so that it covers the taskbar.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed a few glitchy issues with the netflix app where the screen goes blank when pausing/rewinding but nothing major - Adam

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the purple button on the pen to open onenote?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon