Will these programs work on a Surface Pro 3?

joseiloaizach

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am considering buying a SP3... But I want to know if these programs work on it:

- Google Chrome (desktop mode)
- avast!
- CCleaner
- iTunes
- Paint.NET
- Picasa 3
- VLC Media Player
- uTorrent
- Google SketchUp 8
- AutoCAD 2010 / 2011 / 2012
- MS Office 2010 (I'm asking this because I dont know if it is compatible only with Office 2013
- 3ds Max
- The Sims 2
- Video game console emulators (like ePSXe)
- New games (like Alien: Isolation or The Sims 4)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do these programs will work?:

The SP3 is a PC, but in tablet form. If the program is compatible with Windows 8.x then it will run on the SP3. I've run most of those programs that you listed and they work just fine.

wookiee2cu

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site

Just a warning Google Chrome browser has been reported by many to be a huge battery hog, IE is recommended or FireFox (IE seems to be the less hungry of the three).

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

If its runs on a PC it will run on a SP3....

You would no doubt have to lower the graphical quality for new games like Alien Isolation though.

For the record it runs 3ds max like a dream! - Adam

andreqms

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I do not know about Alien Isolation or ePSXe, but all the other programs in the list should run fine. I just installed The Sims 4 and it runs really well with the medium graphics set and the native resolution of the SP3. You can even set the resolution lower to get better performance with a better graphics set.

My Surface Pro 3: i5 / 4GB / 128GB

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Autodesk 2014 software such as Sketchbook Pro, AutoCAD, and Revit work flawlessly on SP3. I also use Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, Sketchup, Google Earth, Chrome, all work great (chrome is a resource hog for no reason though - you should use modern ie, or ie on desktop, or firefox).

CKennedy

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Autodesk 2014 software such as Sketchbook Pro, AutoCAD, and Revit work flawlessly on SP3. I also use Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, Sketchup, Google Earth, Chrome, all work great (chrome is a resource hog for no reason though - you should use modern ie, or ie on desktop, or firefox).

What version of the SP3 do you have? I'm thinking of picking one up and can't decide of what version will be sufficient without breaking the bank on a 256/8gb. I'll mostly be using it for Autocad 2012 work (when not at home using my i7/16gb MBP with parallels) and maybe some light photoshop and sketch up work as well

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the i7 with 8GB RAM, and 256GB HD. If your only using AutoCAD 2012, you would be fine with the i5, save your money. Running in Parallels eats half your RAM anyways, you shouldn't notice a difference. Hell, I use AutoCAD 2012 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro all the time, and its running an Atom processor, and it never lags unless im editing an xref of a huge file, or if the file has a lot of attachments. If your planning on using Revit, or do 3D modeling, the i7 is probably a better bet, but im sure the i5/8GB would suffice for that as well.

When im doing CAD work on my SP3, the fan doesn't even kick on. Same with Sketchup, I could model a pretty large building, and it just chugs along. I wouldn't try to render though, that would probably be a bit much, but you never know until you try. If I were you, id buy it from the Microsoft Store, you get 30 days to try it out. Install your software, and if its running well, you keep it, if you find it laggy, up it to the i7, and do the same thing.

MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL ALL UPDATES..........I read on forums all over the place about people complaing about lag, and issues, and you ask them about installing updates, and their like "huh what updates"..........set install updates automatically, and always install.

genghis2510

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should pay you for your post. The cropping issues on SP3 that I'm about to get this December were about to discourage me. Your post somewhat revitalized my intent to have an SP3. I also use the same apps you mentioned and if you say they work well in SP3 and there are work arounds via updates and firmware upgrades to solve thermal issues, wifi, etc. then I'm convinced SP3 will work for me as well. One thing though, Microsoft quality control sucks having retailed SP3 with several issues. Or they purposely did this and wait for issues from users and before working out solutions.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

If its runs on a PC it will run on a SP3....

You would no doubt have to lower the graphical quality for new games like Alien Isolation though.

For the record it runs 3ds max like a dream! - Adam

This is an over simplification of the situation particularly when the person lists graphics programs, an earlier version of a CAD program, and some stuff that is not that may or may not be regularly updated. SP3 is a great device but it does have an ultra high resolution screen and a proprietary stylus. Both can complicate use or at least make it inefficient. Switching resolutions back and forth is not very convenient, particularly if you are trying to multi task and one application is optimized for high res screens whereas the other requires you to get out a magnifier to read menus and toolbars. In addition, a non-wacom pen will work in applications but that does not necessarily mean the software manufacturer has developed drivers to utilize advanced features for efficient digitizing. Everything on the list should work but that does not mean they will work as efficiently as an end user may expect and it is really not responsible to make blanket statements that imply only some games may be quirky.

BTW, even Photoshop CC still requires you to enable a "use at your own risk experimental feature" to resolve the micro menu problem. For that matter, compare scaling of dialog boxes in Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, and InDesign CC (all current addition Adobe Creative Suite products) with high DPI support enabled and then tell me they are consistent. Actually, also take a look at Photoshop CC which claims the SP3 GPU is compatible and enabled and compare it to Illustrator CC which lists the same GPU as incompatible and disabled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077