SP3 embarrassed me infront of my class and it overheats like crazy

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Bought the SP3 about a month ago. For you information my SP3 is an Intel core i7/8GB.
I started taking it with me to classes recently. Nothing wrong with that. But today in class in uni the fan just went on all nth way that the lecturer had to ask me to shut it down when I was sitting at the third row. Not to mention how the sp3 was on fire on my lap.
The worst part is that I wasn't using anything but an app called drawboard PDF. I shut down the WiFi, the brightness, I plugged into a power supply I restarted a couple of times but nothing is stopping it. I thought maybe the problem is in the app. I change the app and try to annotate and study from another app Andi unfortunately met by the same burning sensation of my fingers while holding my sp3. Its getting ridiculous and I'm finding it impossible to calm it down. Please help me, I'm already stressed out because I have a med school exam tomorrow morning and the fan and the heat are driving me crazy

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
did you install all updates? Do you have updates set to install automatically? I find that installing updates revs the fan the most - perhaps your unit was installing auto updates, or something like that. What other software do you have on it - I have the same SP3 configuration as you, and use Drawboard daily, and have never had that happen.

If you haven't - install all windows updates. I recommend this to all of my colleagues that also have the SP3.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Bought the SP3 about a month ago. For you information my SP3 is an Intel core i7/8GB.
I started taking it with me to classes recently. Nothing wrong with that. But today in class in uni the fan just went on all nth way that the lecturer had to ask me to shut it down when I was sitting at the third row. Not to mention how the sp3 was on fire on my lap.
The worst part is that I wasn't using anything but an app called drawboard PDF. I shut down the WiFi, the brightness, I plugged into a power supply I restarted a couple of times but nothing is stopping it. I thought maybe the problem is in the app. I change the app and try to annotate and study from another app Andi unfortunately met by the same burning sensation of my fingers while holding my sp3. Its getting ridiculous and I'm finding it impossible to calm it down. Please help me, I'm already stressed out because I have a med school exam tomorrow morning and the fan and the heat are driving me crazy

If it is that loud and that hot, it would seem pretty obvious that there is a problem with the device. I would suggest you contact Surface support....

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why, but every-now-and-then one of the igfx* (Intel HD Graphics) processes goes stupid on me and maxes out the CPU and the fan kicks up to it's maximum.

Just reboot, and it goes back to normal.

I've tried both the Microsoft, and the Intel setup's for the graphics card and both of them will randomly max the CPU at the most inappropriate time.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Something is ramping up the CPU and GPU. Next, step is to find out what is causing the issue. Had this problem with my photo editing desktop at home and finally figured out which applications and processes were faulty.

My SP3 is rock solid and never gets hot even with all day use.

David Horn

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it's Drawboard - something's going wrong with it over the last couple of months. On my SP3 it's really slow; annotations disappear while it saves, and the fan runs like crazy.

Try OneNote instead.

KNXprogrammer

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had a similar problem on my i5/128GB/8GB. All was well until I started viewing a PDF file, then my fan was running constantly and battery life was miserable, CPU was at a constant 30-40% and it got pretty hot on the rear upper right just above the hinge for the kickstand. It took me a while to find a solution but I did resolve it - it's related to an indexing process. Do a web search for 'Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host - High CPU on Windows 8' for a fix.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I figured out what was wrong with it . I opened the task manager when the fan went crazy and I realized that under "more details" there is this app called "windows search filter" that takes up over 50% of the cpu . I still cant do anything about it other than to end it whenever its that high. But I still cant eliminate the problem

KNXprogrammer

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Azarus, see my previous post just 2 posts up the page - Do a web search for 'Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host - High CPU on Windows 8' for a fix.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I use Drawboard frequently and it's been very solid for me. Sounds like either there's something else causing the CPU to rev up or Drawboard needs to be deleted and reinstalled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett