Which is better 3:2 vs 16:9 tv?

lithos

May 31, 2014
Visit site
3:2 vs 16:9 tv frustration

When I connect the sp3 to hd TV using hdmi adapter, there seems to be no way for my TV to correctly translate the aspect ratio. I've tried all the settings in the TV. Any ideas or workarounds?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: 3:2 vs 16:9 tv frustration

You're probably using "clone display" or whatever they're calling it this year. After connecting it to your TV, you have a few choices. Set the resolution to your TV's res (likely 1920x1080), but this will make your surface's display all weird.

Press Win+P a few times to toggle over to external display only, or duplicate. The touch screen probably won't help you with external displays so you'll have to plug in a mouse, use the keyboard touch pad, or manage by keyboard shortcuts whatever you're trying to do on the TV. The resolution should take care of itself, but if it doesn't set the TV to the correct resolution.

lithos

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: 3:2 vs 16:9 tv frustration

Thanks. I will give this a try, with keyboard.
Edited in case this might help anyone (me) find the the display settings: go to PC settings > PC and devices > Display

lithos

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Tried it tonight. Was able to simply plug in the hdmi adapter, go to Display settings on the SP3, and adjust the resolution to 1280 x 1024. After watching, unplugged hdmi, went back to Display, and it was already auto-detecting the SP3 native resolution again, hit "apply" and done. Brilliant. Forgot to bring the keyboard upstairs, and managed all with touchscreen.

I was never much of a TV person before. Glad to learn something new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss