12-01-2017 09:11 AM
65 123
tools
    What I have found to correct the entire issue is to turn off Bitlocker, turn off secure boot, then let the computer run for a day (stay of the net to protect oneself from malware and such). Then go back turn back on secure boot, reboot. Then turn back on Bitlocker and let it encrypt the entire drive. Let it run till it is done before using the computer. You will have to adjust your power options to always stay on while plugged in the mains while it's encrypting your drive(s).

Ever since I've done the steps above, things have been working quite well. I found this to work in W8.1 and W10 btw.

As for the ORGINAL issue, it was a firmware update that finally cleared it up.
    02-24-2016 07:47 PM
    This two button shut down worked for me too, after trying a number of other methods recommended by MS or by various forms.. After the two button shut down, the screen came up with a bunch of stuff and I had to select exit setup. Then when it rebooted it went through a disc check and repair, followed by a normal opening. I did a restart and everything looks like it's back to normal. This is definitely worth trying before calling MS or dragging the Surface to a MS store or repair shop. The instructions on the MS site for fixing this problem were written by idiots. They give you the 1st option, which is the 30 second single button shut down. They tell you if that doesn't work, go to the windows start button and try a number of other options. But if the 30 second single button shut-down does not work, how the heck can you get to the windows start button? Thanks for the solution that worked for me.

ANAV
    03-04-2016 05:39 PM
    Only a sample size 1, but, after all of the steps failed, I drained the battery, then plugged it in again, and the Surface Pro 3 started immediately.
    04-09-2016 07:59 AM
    I've found this works for me: Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Heres how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
    Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
    Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    Step 4:
    Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
    If your Surface still wont turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.

Source: microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10

Sorry I have less than 10 posts to be able to post an actual link....
    This did it for me. Thank you!
    04-20-2016 04:53 PM
    The following steps worked for me. (Note: I unattached the keyboard and unplugged the power supply while carrying out the steps.)

Step 1:
    Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.

Step 2:
    Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

Step 3:
    After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.

I hope that works for you!
    05-03-2016 10:10 AM
    Hello, it is me again. So MS confirmed that this is not a software problem. Indeed, it is a hardware problem with my surface 3. So they want to send me a new one.
    I am LITTERLY in my finals week and this ******* SURFACE logo is stuck on my screen, I'm failing all my tests
    05-16-2016 10:08 AM
    I had this happen to me the other day. Freaked me out. What ended up working for me was a two button shutdown. Turn it on - when you get stuck with just the Surface logo, press and hold the Volume Up + the Power button for at least 15 seconds. My screen shut off almost instantly - however, it vibrated about 10 seconds later. Then wait 30 seconds and press the Power button to start it back up.
    This totally worked for me, thanks for the tip!
    05-20-2016 09:46 PM
    I had this happen to me the other day. Freaked me out. What ended up working for me was a two button shutdown. Turn it on - when you get stuck with just the Surface logo, press and hold the Volume Up + the Power button for at least 15 seconds. My screen shut off almost instantly - however, it vibrated about 10 seconds later. Then wait 30 seconds and press the Power button to start it back up.
    Omg thank you! This actually worked and my SP3 is up and running you are a miracle worker!
    05-21-2016 12:38 PM
    The following steps worked for me. (Note: I unattached the keyboard and unplugged the power supply while carrying out the steps.)

Step 1:
    Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.

Step 2:
    Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

Step 3:
    After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.

I hope that works for you!
    Worked for me, but I am now unable to perform any window updates. "sfc /scannow" indicates I have a bad hard disk and can't be fixed? Anyone ok doing updates and/or had any "sfc /scannow" problems?

On a side note, anyone know what is CAUSING this problem? I want to trigger it for test purpose.
    05-23-2016 04:45 AM
    here is the steps

1. Hold Power and Volume up button together for 30 seconds
    2 . A window will popup - click on exit setup ,
    It will come back as normal
    06-13-2016 02:31 PM
    Hi

Experienced this also with two separate units! Newest one has just done it.

All weekend it was down. The 2 button reset (volume + and the power button) just worked for me having seen it on a forum. Finally got off surface screen to another config menu I assume, and chose to exit the it reset, it did some configuration and updates (blue screen) a few times and loaded up. All seems ok now. It got stuck on portrait before this happened I think.

The fact this has happened twice is worrying but it's a work unit so I have little emotional attachment

If the problem happens again I might go in the MS store.

Thanks
    06-20-2016 06:13 AM
    I've had a few odd things like this happening to my SP3. Today, it got stuck at the Surface logo. I removed it from the dock, detached the keyboard, and held the power button down until the screen went blank. I then pressed the power button again and it booted normally.

Every time the SP3 has got stuck in some way, I just follow the procedure above. So far, it has worked. Simply holding the power button down without removing it from the dock and keyboard did nothing at all.
    06-20-2016 12:30 PM
    should i save the configuration? yes? or no. My surface 3 will just show the surface logo. tried the two button stuff etc. it didnt work for me :(
    10-19-2016 02:46 AM
    I bought my surface 3 september 2015. Im having this problem now October 2016. I thought maybe when I updated thye windows 10. but in the middle of installing the update, it stop saying that there were problems installing the windows update. then the option button after that is to cancel. I tapped the cancel button. then after that, it only shows the logo surface and trying to go start the windows but ti stuck to the logo part only. if I press the vol-up button it will go to the screen set-up. that's about what its doing now. the showing of the surface logo and it won't go through the windows. thing is i'm already in the philippines and we don't have the MS tech close by :(.
    10-19-2016 03:04 AM
    This due to "fast startup" in window 8/10.

First, to escape SURFACE LOGO we will force a complete shutdown using "two-button shutdown method":

1. Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.

2.Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both. The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

3. After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. It should be OK now.

Second, we turn off "fast startup" by: R-Click the battery icon, choose "Power Options", select "Choose what the power button does", select "Change settings that are currenly unavailable", uncheck "Turn on fast startup".
    12-01-2017 09:11 AM
65 123