Rebooted, then stuck at SURFACE logo

TheoHorsdal

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for posting this series of button presses, it was the only method that got me back up and running!!
My issue began with the keyboard not responding regardless of what position it was in. I updated to Win10 about a month ago. I can only assume the November Win10 update was automatically applied via Windows Update - this is the core of the issue I believe.
Then the boot logo issue occurred.
I should mention that following this series of button pushes the spinning circle appeared, and immediately the windows update pink splash dos screen said 100% completing updates, then applied another update before booting into Windows.
Everything seems to be working now including the keyboard.

thank you

keyosuke

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I've found this works for me: Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4:
Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.

Source: microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10

Sorry I have less than 10 posts to be able to post an actual link....

This is the post that saved the day. Specifically, step 2.

Karl Nicholls-Brown

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I have just had this happen a third time on a SP3, the first time I was able to use a bootable USB media to get in and repair the files.
The last twice the machines would not boot onto any USB recovery media. No diagnostic information at BIOS level, very poor.
Microsoft's solution is just to ship another to me, what a waste of time. They don't even bother questioning you on the helpdesk, ship another out. Make sure your backup is up to date.
I have been using Win 8.1 Enterprise, I shall convert to 10 now our corporate standards have caught up with the outside world.
WP_20160111_09_41_53_Pro.jpg

Matthew Jones10

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
In case anyone else has run into this problem I was able to resolve by holding down power and vol up buttons. That then took me into the bios where I disabled secure boot. After doing that it asked for my bitlocker recovery key which I supplied at which point it then booted up. After that I went back into the bios and re-enabled secure boot and was able to boot back in with no issues. Hope this helps someone else.

af_sting

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem where the screen was locked at the Surface Logo with no spinning wheel. I let it sit there for 3+ hours and it never changed. I tried the key series that were supplied later in this thread, but either I did them wrong or they simply did not work. Being the experimenting type, I then tried this. When the system was locked at the surface screen, I held the power and -Volume keys at the same time (about 30 seconds.) The screen flickered and started booting and has worked ever since.

I've not had the problem again, so I can't verify this solution, but I'll post again if it happens again.

-Ray

Druidlogic

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Note that a lot of the issues with windows devices booting up have a lot to do with UEFI secure boot failing to initialize properly. If you turn secure boot off, you'll notice that it will boot past the Surface logo just fine, the only problem is that you won't have low-level protection against rootkits as it will rely on legacy (BIOS) to load the operating system. To disable UEFI, hold the power button and volume + for 10 seconds from a powered down state, an option will be present to disable secure boot. Once you attempt to restart the Surface screen will be Red, indicating that UEFI has been disabled and it should initialize. I'm not sure Microsoft even knows how to rectify the current secure boot issues so I'm not surprised they weren't any help. EDIT: That last part isn't an insult to Microsoft Technicians (I am one, so of course I wouldn't insult them.) just stating that UEFI is rather new and imperfect.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
What I have found to correct the entire issue is to turn off Bitlocker, turn off secure boot, then let the computer run for a day (stay of the net to protect oneself from malware and such). Then go back turn back on secure boot, reboot. Then turn back on Bitlocker and let it encrypt the entire drive. Let it run till it is done before using the computer. You will have to adjust your power options to always stay on while plugged in the mains while it's encrypting your drive(s).

Ever since I've done the steps above, things have been working quite well. I found this to work in W8.1 and W10 btw.

As for the ORGINAL issue, it was a firmware update that finally cleared it up.

Anav45

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
This two button shut down worked for me too, after trying a number of other methods recommended by MS or by various forms.. After the two button shut down, the screen came up with a bunch of stuff and I had to select exit setup. Then when it rebooted it went through a disc check and repair, followed by a normal opening. I did a restart and everything looks like it's back to normal. This is definitely worth trying before calling MS or dragging the Surface to a MS store or repair shop. The instructions on the MS site for fixing this problem were written by idiots. They give you the 1st option, which is the 30 second single button shut down. They tell you if that doesn't work, go to the windows start button and try a number of other options. But if the 30 second single button shut-down does not work, how the heck can you get to the windows start button? Thanks for the solution that worked for me.

ANAV

Eric Grubisich

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I've found this works for me: Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here?s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4:

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
If your Surface still won?t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.

Source: microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10

Sorry I have less than 10 posts to be able to post an actual link....

This did it for me. Thank you!

t3chie

May 3, 2016
Visit site
The following steps worked for me. (Note: I unattached the keyboard and unplugged the power supply while carrying out the steps.)

Step 1:
Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.

Step 2:
Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

Step 3:
After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.

I hope that works for you!

Tino14

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I had this happen to me the other day. Freaked me out. What ended up working for me was a two button shutdown. Turn it on - when you get stuck with just the Surface logo, press and hold the Volume Up + the Power button for at least 15 seconds. My screen shut off almost instantly - however, it vibrated about 10 seconds later. Then wait 30 seconds and press the Power button to start it back up.

This totally worked for me, thanks for the tip!

Kassidy Snapp

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I had this happen to me the other day. Freaked me out. What ended up working for me was a two button shutdown. Turn it on - when you get stuck with just the Surface logo, press and hold the Volume Up + the Power button for at least 15 seconds. My screen shut off almost instantly - however, it vibrated about 10 seconds later. Then wait 30 seconds and press the Power button to start it back up.

Omg thank you! This actually worked and my SP3 is up and running you are a miracle worker!

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The following steps worked for me. (Note: I unattached the keyboard and unplugged the power supply while carrying out the steps.)

Step 1:
Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.

Step 2:
Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

Step 3:
After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.

I hope that works for you!

Worked for me, but I am now unable to perform any window updates. "sfc /scannow" indicates I have a bad hard disk and can't be fixed? Anyone ok doing updates and/or had any "sfc /scannow" problems?

On a side note, anyone know what is CAUSING this problem? I want to trigger it for test purpose.

Joby Sebastian

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
here is the steps

1. Hold Power and Volume up button together for 30 seconds
2 . A window will popup - click on exit setup ,
It will come back as normal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member