Is the heating issue on the Surface Pro 3 fixed?

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I did a search and couldn't find anything. I am aware that the Surface Pro 3 has (had?) heating/fan issues and the device would get pretty hot. I remember it affecting more of the i7 models. Microsoft promised a fix.

Now I am wondering, has Microsoft fixed the issue? I am intending to get a Surface Pro 3 soon so I want to get this sorted out. Thanks.

Last edited:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
How can they possibly fix natural physics? If you run intensive apps your machine WILL heat up no matter what. It won't overheat though if that's what you're afraid of. If you're just a casual user, you most likely will never hear the fan.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I did a search and couldn't find anything. I am aware that the Surface Pro 3 has (had?) heating/fan issues and the device would get pretty hot. I remember it affecting more of the i7 models. Microsoft promised a fix.

Now I am wondering, has Microsoft fixed the issue? I am intending to get a Surface Pro 3 soon so I want to get this sorted out. Thanks.

Yes. If you don't upgrade to the W10TP, you should be fine. The TP kinda brings the issue back.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had my i7 256gb for just over 3 weeks. I opted for the i7 thinking that the CPU would be working less hard than a i5 - same load/programs (Mainly Lightroom/Photoshop CC, Web, Office, etc - no 'heavy' games).

I spoke to a Microsoft technical guy and he said that they had changed the fan design slightly, the CPU paste and firmware changes had also helped.

I've not notice any heat issues on my new SP3 and only heard the fan (very quiet) a couple of times (when installing updates after buying it).

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
@James8561: I know there is no way we can deal with natural physics, but as far as I know, the complaints were that the devices were heating up on minor task such as watching videos or browsing the web on Modern IE.

anon(9177257)

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
My Surface Pro 3 has no heating problems. I gets heat when i game sometimes on it. But that's your CPU can clock himself to 2,9 ghz instead of the 1,9 ghz default.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My Surface Pro 3 has no heating problems. I gets heat when i game sometimes on it. But that's your CPU can clock himself to 2,9 ghz instead of the 1,9 ghz default.

Thanks for your kind reply. How about CPU throttling? Apparently throttling isn't as bad as it used to when the device was first shipped?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your kind reply. How about CPU throttling? Apparently throttling isn't as bad as it used to when the device was first shipped?
at about 50% load in task manager (which really is almost 100% load since this is a dual-core CPU running 4 logical cores off of 2 physical cores for hyperthreading, so non-HT programs only use 50% of the 4 logical cores), the CPU held 2.6 GHz at 80 degree C. that's higher than the maximum reported frequency by task manager (2.5 GHz) so turbo boost is working well and there's 0 throttling, since throttling doesn't start until well above 90 C. granted the fan is very audible after half a minute, but this is prolonged usage at maximum performance so that's acceptable.
that's quite good for a tablet. mine's i5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99