Pros & Cons of Surface pro 3 and will it have win 10 for future

shayanr

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
What are the pros and cons of surface pro 3? And should I wait for mwc 2015 for the launch of new surface and will surface pro 3 be updatable to windows 10 or not?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am not a betting man, but would happily put the price of a Surface Pro 3 that it is upgradable to 10, I would guess just about everything that runs full Windows 8/8.1 and most machines that run Windows 7 will be upgradable.

There are several (Maybe many more) already running 10 in the developers preview.

Add in that MS have stated that all Lumia phones will get the upgrade, and have given very strong hints that the Surface RT will also get it in some form or another, it would be a real shock that their flagship device would be unable to run it.

One thing we don't know yet is the price, my money is on WP's getting it free, I would also gamble that 8.1 users could get it free, and a charge being levied on W7 users.

I can only go on my original Surface Pro, stonking bit of kit and the Surface Pro 3 is far better, so it's just down to how much you want it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am willing to bet practically anything that the Surface Pro 3 will get 10. Its a full PC.

Pros
- Slim, compact, can take most tasks
- good battery life
- kickstand still something unrivaled in tablets IMO.
- its an ultrabook/full PC
- stylus support

Cons
- Pricey, although not as much all things considered.
- repairability is practically nil
- replace battery? HAH
- upgrades? LOL

i missed a bunch, but that's the idea though

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been eying the surface since the first Gen device and haven't pulled the trigger on it.. I wanted to like the 3rd rendition and took it for a test drive at the local best buy, I liked the stylus form factor and the screen is gorgeous however small, didn't care for the fact that the already overpriced device came separate from functioning keyboard of which by the way blows.. The touchpad and keys seemed too plasticky and cheap, battery life? Less than price point expectations.. my lady and I decided to wait for a 4th Gen and bought an i7 ultrabook for a few hundred cheaper.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Xandros nailed it on the cons, but it is the best computer I have ever used, and I've been a tablet PC guy for 12 years now. I finally have the perfect hardware for that vision. I would recommend it to pretty much anyone that doesn't need a bigger laptop screen.

Get it with the dock and a good monitor (Asus QHD models are epic), and you have a fantastic desktop replacement in addition to great tablet and laptop.

I look at pricing this way. To get a similar laptop spec is $800-1000. Plus an inferior tablet is $500. Plus other accessories, and you quickly break even on it all.

I do hope that a Surface Pro 4 will eventually reduce the 3's pricing to a lower level price though. If you want cheaper though, look at Asus and Lenovo.

shayanr

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I will take it from ebay they have some pretty good deals..about the cons, what about the updates and battery repairable issue? And as I live in Pakistan I have a doubt if win10 doesn't came out for free I wouldn't be able to download it..and one more thing can the U.S version of pro 3 be able to fully work here in Pakistan or do we have to unlock it something

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't ever let the battery go completely dead and remain that way, completely destroys lithium battery. Luckily when the battery is real low the surface goes to trickle charge mode until about 20% then fast charge to 92% and back to trickle charge for the remainder which should greatly help the longevity of the battery.

shayanr

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't ever let the battery go completely dead and remain that way, completely destroys lithium battery. Luckily when the battery is real low the surface goes to trickle charge mode until about 20% then fast charge to 92% and back to trickle charge for the remainder which should greatly help the longevity of the battery.

Sometimes if it may go down completely several times then what?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It'll be fine. Modern batteries don't suffer from memory or fade issues. There's no harm in letting it run to empty, I forget to charge mine all the time and had no problems at all.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
WiFi issues have greatly been reduced although I happen to run into a specific situation at work that triggers a lingering bug. I really hope they move away from Marvell chipsets in the next Surface.

That said, it's a simple fix... Toggle WiFi off and then on, and it's fine.

shayanr

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
WiFi issues have greatly been reduced although I happen to run into a specific situation at work that triggers a lingering bug. I really hope they move away from Marvell chipsets in the next Surface.

That said, it's a simple fix... Toggle WiFi off and then on, and it's fine.

What type of bug is that? And so should I wait for surface pro 4 because if I buy it once I'll have to take it with me for 3years min

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It sometimes resumes to limited connectivity on Cisco 12xx series access points. Not a major hassle.

I wouldn't recommend waiting for the SP4 over it.

shayanr

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It sometimes resumes to limited connectivity on Cisco 12xx series access points. Not a major hassle.

I wouldn't recommend waiting for the SP4 over it.

Don't mind if I ask so much I don't know really much about it so I want to know everything before putting up my money on it.. I don't understand what you said 12xx series..is that the problem with the manufacturer? I heard that new sp3 models of some serial number which I don't exactly remember have brought with some hardware changes..if anyones knows anything about it tell me then.. I'll be thankful

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't mind if I ask so much I don't know really much about it so I want to know everything before putting up my money on it.. I don't understand what you said 12xx series..is that the problem with the manufacturer? I heard that new sp3 models of some serial number which I don't exactly remember have brought with some hardware changes..if anyones knows anything about it tell me then.. I'll be thankful

No, it's a problem with the wireless chip/driver in Surface, but Microsoft has been proactive in addressing the issues each month. They're very minor, so I just stress that I wouldn't let them turn down a great service.

Not familiar with any hardware changes beyond firmware updates.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As the Good man says, there's nothing really wrong with the SP3, it's widely regarded by users and the press as a great touch-enabled laptop.

The decision regarding whether you wait for SP4 or buy an SP3 is entirely yours based on how soon you want to part with your cash. The SP3 is an incredibly capable device, I'm not sure how an SP4 will have any features that will dramatically change anyone's life over the SP3.

You also have to ask yourself whether the SP3 will be a significant advantage over what you're currently using - it's pretty easy to get sucked into the hype of wanting to buy something because it's new any shiny.

murix

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The SP3 is my favorite laptop/tablet/computer I've had to date. In fact I use it as all of the above.

I dock it to a dell 23" touch screen monitor and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse at work. I use it like a laptop on the road. And I use it in portrait mode as a tablet when surfing the web on my couch. I'm typing on the virtual keyboard on it now. I also have a i5 MacBook air 13, surface 2, i5 surface pro 2, Motorola android tablet, and used to have an iPad but gave it away.

I don't use any of them anymore. Just the SP3. The rest are sitting on a shelf.

I wouldn't wait. Get one now.

Oh, and for repairs, just pay $100 for the MS warranty. If you break it, even if dropped and your own fault, they will give you a new one for $50. You can do that twice in two years. They're really good on general warranty issues as well. Really no hassle at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss