Why am I experiencing random screen swipes?

SleepingWeasle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Screen Swiping Issue

Hello,

I received my SP3 256GB I7 about a week ago. A few days ago, I started experiencing random swipes from the left side of my screen. It doesn't happen when I'm not touching the screen, and I'm not hitting the Windows button. Sometimes, when I touch something on the right side of the screen, it acts like I swiped in from the left side of the screen, so it launches an app from my recent history.

I think I remember hearing about a few isolated incidents about something like this happening to a few users, who thought a Bluetooth error was responsible. I have turned off Bluetooth, and still intermittently experience this problem. I have also done a complete wipe and fresh installation of Windows. All of my updates are installed, so I don't know what could be wrong.

I know I can send it in to MS for repair or replacement, but only want to do that as a last resort. Is this a common issue? If so, I would put off sending it back, because MS would most likely have a solution soon, but if this is a rare physical defect, I will do so.

Thanks!

InfiniteRefrain

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen Swiping Issue

It seems like you have checked everything that you should have. Only other thing I can think of is if there is something on the screen under a screen protector. I would bet its a defect with the screen and have them replace it. You do not want to wait too long and have them point the blame on to you or force you to use your Service Plan - if you have one.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried to recalibrate the touch screen? Control Panel, Tablet PC Settings, Calibrate...

Also, have you tried to download the latest recovery Surface Pro3 image from Microsoft and done a factory refresh from it? (Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface) It has most of the updates slipstreamed into it, so new drivers are included and what-not. It's nice so when you get done, you don't have to install the majority of the updates that have come out since you bought your SP3.

SleepingWeasle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't use a screen protector (yes, my screen is clean). Also, I have tried to recalibrate the screen, and the refresh I did was from the above link.

Thanks to both, for your help. I guess I'll exchange it for another one. Its an easy enough process, I just didn't want to. I love the SP3, so I'll have to hurry up, and get this resolved.

Thanks again.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site

Well, you've covered all the bases. Sorry that you have to exchange it, but it should be rather painless.

SleepingWeasle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the help. Just a quick update. I bought it from Amazon, and it's been quite painless. They are sending me a replacement, that will be here Monday. I then have 30 days to return they original SP3, or they will charge me for it. Pretty great policy, it doesn't even affect my service plan with MS. I'm really grateful they send me the replacement first, as the SP3 has really grown on me, and is with me all the time now! Really love this device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss