On screen keyboard frustration

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or does the autocorrect sometimes make you want to throw your tablet through a window? I'll type something correctly, though maybe something that autocorrect doesn't agree with, and it'll change the word to what it thinks it should be, but when I backspace and retype it again, it will still correct it making it impossible for me to type some words. For instance, it wants to capitalize Kickstand. No matter what I do, it absolutely won't let me type Kickstand with a lowercase k. It's maddening. Every other autocorrect on any other platform will change the word back to the one you originally typed just by hitting backspace once. For some reason MS doesn't think that was good enough. And on top of it, autocorrect doesn't work at all in some apps, like Chrome. What's going on with this??? Does anyone else have these issues?

Kickstand Kickstand Kickstand Kickstand Kickstand kickstand Kickstand <- That second to last one was a complete anomaly. Just kept typing it over and over and for some reason it didn't capitalize that one. I think my surface pro is deliberately screwing with me.

Is there seriously no way to override an autocorrect suggestion? I cant even add a lowercased Kickstand to the dictionary because it isn't underlining it like it's misspelled. And why did it miss the apostrophe in can't in the last sentence?? Arggggggghhhhh

Edit: Another annoyance that I'm having is that the on screen keyboard seems to randomly close when I'm typing sometimes. Does that happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Frustrating autocorrect.

I can not get the same problem you have Kickstand kickstand Kickstand kickstand..
It only underlines it to warn me that I used a repeated word.
Maybe you should disable the : Auto correct misspelt word.
Check this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-spell-checker-auto-correct-windows

It also strange that the spell checker "thinks" that it has to be with a capital K.
Below shows you how to delete words in customer dictionary.
http://www.disentangledreality.com/2013/03/how-to-remove-misspelled-words-from.html

Last edited:

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Frustrating autocorrect.

I can not get the same problem you have Kickstand kickstand Kickstand kickstand..
It only underlines it to warn me that I used a repeated word.
Maybe you should disable the : Auto correct misspelt word.
Check this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-spell-checker-auto-correct-windows

It also strange that the spell checker "thinks" that it has to be with a capital K.
Below shows you how to delete words in customer dictionary.
Disentangled Reality: How to remove misspelled words from the Windows 8 spell-check dictionary

I don't want to disable autocorrect, it makes things a lot easier when it's not messing up. I came across those instructions yesterday, but I don't seem to have that file.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a laptop but no SP3 but that should not matter I guess but maybe if you use search "default.dic" it turns up.
Or if you switch off auto correct and switch on underlining and than type kickstand it should be underlined and than you can add it in the dictionary.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a laptop but no SP3 but that should not matter I guess but maybe if you use search "default.dic" it turns up.
Or if you switch off auto correct and switch on underlining and than type kickstand it should be underlined and than you can add it in the dictionary.

Did a search, nothing came up. Also, if I turn off autocorrect, it doesn't underline kickstand, it just offers the suggestion for the capitalized one. There is no way for me to add it to the dictionary.

Edit: did a search from desktop mode and found it. Lets see if it worked- kickstand kickstand kickstand.
YES!!!!! Thank you for the tip!!!

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like user error. No such problems...
1. Ensure correct language setup throughout - keyboard, locale, dictionary, etc.
2. Are you adding words to Dictionary?
3. Google Chrome does not seem to refer to inbuilt spellchecker - a Google issue.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like user error. No such problems...
1. Ensure correct language setup throughout - keyboard, locale, dictionary, etc.
2. Are you adding words to Dictionary?
3. Google Chrome does not seem to refer to inbuilt spellchecker - a Google issue.

It wasn't user error, everything was setup properly. It's just wonky.

Does anyone know why the keyboard would close on me in the middle of typing sometimes? That's more annoying than the kickstand issue.

Edit: just figured out why it's closing on me. I'm typing too fast and sometimes when I hit the space bar my thumb kinda swipes up from the lower bezel which closes the keyboard and brings up the tabs menu.

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does the autocorrect sometimes make you want to throw your tablet through a window? I'll type something correctly, though maybe something that autocorrect doesn't agree with, and it'll change the word to what it thinks it should be, but when I backspace and retype it again, it will still correct it making it impossible for me to type some words. For instance, it wants to capitalize Kickstand. No matter what I do, it absolutely won't let me type Kickstand with a lowercase k. It's maddening. Every other autocorrect on any other platform will change the word back to the one you originally typed just by hitting backspace once. For some reason MS doesn't think that was good enough. And on top of it, autocorrect doesn't work at all in some apps, like Chrome. What's going on with this??? Does anyone else have these issues?

Kickstand Kickstand Kickstand Kickstand Kickstand kickstand Kickstand <- That second to last one was a complete anomaly. Just kept typing it over and over and for some reason it didn't capitalize that one. I think my surface pro is deliberately screwing with me.

Is there seriously no way to override an autocorrect suggestion? I cant even add a lowercased Kickstand to the dictionary because it isn't underlining it like it's misspelled. And why did it miss the apostrophe in can't in the last sentence?? Arggggggghhhhh

Edit: Another annoyance that I'm having is that the on screen keyboard seems to randomly close when I'm typing sometimes. Does that happen to anyone else?

I don't have an answer for you but, yes, the autocorrect substitution function is very stubborn and for some words from my professional world, always wrong. It will take a correctly spelled word, which it does not even see as an incorrect spelling, and substitute something from common usage. It has never ceased to amaze me that the company that has produced one of the best autocorrect/substitution functions for Office has, in my experience, the worst for the Windows 8.X OS....

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't have an answer for you but, yes, the autocorrect substitution function is very stubborn and for some words from my professional world, always wrong. It will take a correctly spelled word, which it does not even see as an incorrect spelling, and substitute something from common usage. It has never ceased to amaze me that the company that has produced one of the best autocorrect/substitution functions for Office has, in my experience, the worst for the Windows 8.X OS....

His problem was solved.
If you want to add or delete words to you customer dictionary but windows "will not let you do it"
Go to "C:\Users\<account>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\<language>\default.dic" or go to your desktop and search in explorer default.dic .
Open the file "default.dic" in Notepad
Delete the offending lines (words) or add the word you want, leaving no blank, and save the file.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
His problem was solved.
If you want to add or delete words to you customer dictionary but windows "will not let you do it"
Go to "C:\Users\<account>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\<language>\default.dic" or go to your desktop and search in explorer default.dic .
Open the file "default.dic" in Notepad
Delete the offending lines (words) or add the word you want, leaving no blank, and save the file.

Sorry but yes I saw the other post and no it is not a solution. The issue for me is the substitution of correctly spelled words for other words. They are not in the list at all and adding does nothing to fix. In fact that list is comprised of the words I have added to the dictionary and/or names from my contact list not the stuff the OS screws up on auto substitution.

My impression is it is an overly simplistic algorithm that assumes that common usage is the only usage. It has improved incrementally as Microsoft has released more of its perpetual small personalization updates but is still annoying. It also absolutely does view the two spellings as correct. If I type a word, hit the space, and let it auto substitute then move the cursor back and change the spelling it does not underline it in red. If I then hit the space bar immediately after the last character it will substitute again whereas if I move the cursor a character past the end of the word, it leaves it alone. Long and short of it is the logical algorithms see both as correct but assume you want common usage.

FWIW, an archaeologist's language is not all that complicated so it is rather irritating at times. I may also be a bit more familiar with situation since I count the number of pages I have written or edited in the hundreds of thousands. I can't turn off paying attention to such stuff off hours and is a nuisance to see obvious word swaps in forum messages and emails. For a while I assumed it might be a dexterity issue holdover following spinal fusion but then paid close attention and confirmed it literally does swap correctly spelled words for other ones. Again, it has improved with time (between a couple of the recent personalization updates "Lumia" was switched to "Lumina" and "etc." to "etch.", both of which have been fixed). Still happens though more than I would like....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos