Surface Pro Artist keyboard/Hotkey dock (Concept)

Bernard Marusic

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello I've been waiting for the Surface 4, I plan to use it for drawing on the go. I noticed that the surface is not really designed for artist only so I got an idea on how to improve this.

There is a keyboard dock for the surface so I thought why not make a hotkey dock for it as well, this means that Microsoft does not have to change a successful design that has proved to work very well for the masses, artists can upgrade the Surface with this optional hotkey board to get a better workflow. I also feel that the product should come with an official matte screen film that artist can place on the screen to get a less reflection and a more paper like feel when drawing.

This is a simple Concept I did with the artflow app on my note 10.1. It's just a simple paste job to show the idea to you guys, spent 20-30min but I think it shows the idea. This not a real design, but I do have a lot of design ideas but I thought it best not to post them on a public forum. Also have a good ideas on making the top design work for left handed artists as well.

I would love to hear what you guys think so all feedback is welcome, would also be great to hear what you guys from Microsoft think about this. It would be fantastic to be a part of the design process for a product like this even if it's in the smallest way.

Best regards//
Bernard
SurfaceDesign.BernardMarusic.jpg

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
You Sir just won the day!

This is an AMAZING idea, i have often wished for there to be hotkeys available on the SP3 but this idea never even crossed my mind. I would buy the side hotkey version up in a heartbeat!

I hope someone from Microsoft sees this thread! - Adam

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
the latest Cintiqs have the buttons on a separate "remote control" looking device..... for me, it seems like a slightly better option, keeping the surface itself nice and sleek.

Bernard Marusic

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah saw that on the new 27 inch, a attachment of magnetic plastic on the sides would give one space to move the remote around without it being in the way when drawing. At the moment there is no space to keep it handy without having it separate from the device, on the table for example. But it does give me a few ideas on how to solve the problem without the extra magnetic space as well :D

Bernard Marusic

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hehe yeah I think so to, most people use it for more common things, don't think the common user even has a need for the pen at all.
But I hear about a 16gb ram upgrade for the surface pro 4, faster computing as well, it will be perfect for artists who use 3D programs, photoshop etc, they would just need to make one hotkey accessory and ship it with a matte screen protector to make the Surface 4 a much better product then the Cintiq companion 2.

But since the Surface has a pen they can be more versatile then apple and if they build a accessory like this it would give them a edge among artists, designers, architects that apple will never have. To be honest the people who will buy the more expensive version will be the people who plan to use the product for work or hobbies such as personal art, like I said they don't need to make changes that will make the product less attractive for the common user they just need to make accessories that make it more attractive for the rest of us who want to use it for work, especially since this does not feel like it would be hard or expensive for them to build.

It's a bit sad that it does not seam possible to get any feedback from the people who work at Microsoft, there should be a better connection between the company and the users. It was even impossible to find a email address to anyone who works as a designer at Microsoft for feedback. Oh well :)

Best Regards to you m8 :)

Last edited:

Bernard Marusic

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much Gernerttl :)
Yeah people who do photo retouching need the hotkeys just as much ! Thanks for your feedback and the tip on where to post !

Best Regards //
Bernard

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs