Microsoft & Paypal link hands, turn round and slap Apple Pay

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft will start supporting PayPal?s "PayPal Here" hardware, so people can buy things with their mobile phones.

The partnership, which is only for the US initially, will allow retailers to use a Lumia or Surface to take payments through PayPal.

The idea is that they will then want to use Microsoft products rather than something like the mPowa Bluetooth device with an Apple tablet.

Microsoft wants to see small and medium business (sole proprietors, retailers and professional services organizations) using a Surface as a laptop replacement for inventory, supply, customer relationship information and accounting, and as a tablet for point-of-sale duties.

The company will launch apps for Surface and Lumia which link to PayPal Here, which will give audit trails, track sales, manage inventory, and accept ?all forms of payments?. Hmmm, Bitcoin?

Tablets will need additional hardware but some phones (the Lumia 635 and Lumia 830) will not.

There is an SDK available for favoured developers, which include Canvas and iConnect POS, who have committed to beginning work immediately on the platform and aim to introduce new software in the coming months.

This SDK will allow even move developers and ISVs to integrate their apps in the PayPal transaction platform directly from Windows and Surface.

Source: Microsoft & Paypal link hands, turn round and slap Apple Pay ? The Register

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What is wrong with PayPal?

From merchant through PayPal to your bank... they've been doing that for years now. You can even pay using your PayPal at places like Home Depot and Office Depot/Max. Apple has only been in the business for a few months. Even Google has been doing it longer with Google Wallet.

Finally, you can't use the Apple pay system on a Windows Phone or tablet.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/mobile-apps

This is especially good for small and medium sized businesses that have a low overhead.

Just because Apple does it doesn't make it better (remember Apple Maps?).

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I just find PayPals Terms & Conditions and account suspension policies to be a bit overbearing. Personally, I haven't had issues with PayPal, though I haven't used it in years.

(And I'm not an Apple ****** - though I did recently turned on my old grape iMac 10.2 computer and felt a bit nostalgic:) )

The best thing I can see come from this is Square getting their act together and getting Windows support so users have more options.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just find PayPals Terms & Conditions and account suspension policies to be a bit overbearing. Personally, I haven't had issues with PayPal, though I haven't used it in years.

(And I'm not an Apple ****** - though I did recently turned on my old grape iMac 10.2 computer and felt a bit nostalgic:) )

The best thing I can see come from this is Square getting their act together and getting Windows support so users have more options.

I am confused. Have you never read the terms and conditions of the other players? There is not a lot of variation. I personally would also prefer that if I give a company access to my momey they will be overbearing.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but, PayPal. :(

Apple's got it right. From the mercant, through Apple's conduit, to your bank.

May I ask why you think it is good for financial transactions to pass through Apple? So they can take their "cut"? Are you thinking your car loan and mortgage would be better if Apple could get a slice of them too? Just trying to understand.

pkvillager

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
PayPal is effectively my bank, I have used my PayPal debit card longer than I can remember. Member since 03 & got the card as soon as it was available. My real bank is linked to PayPal and get cash back on all the charges. The added benefit is when I sell something on eBay or receive a payment I don't have to transfer it plus I can accept credit card payments.

I don't have big need for an app but it is interesting. Swipe the phone instead of the card.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
PayPal is effectively my bank, I have used my PayPal debit card longer than I can remember. Member since 03 & got the card as soon as it was available. My real bank is linked to PayPal and get cash back on all the charges. The added benefit is when I sell something on eBay or receive a payment I don't have to transfer it plus I can accept credit card payments.

I don't have big need for an app but it is interesting. Swipe the phone instead of the card.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with one of the numerous places that don't accept PayPal? A very small percentage of retailers in my area accept PayPal.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
PayPal is effectively my bank, I have used my PayPal debit card longer than I can remember.

PayPal *is* the bank for my business, it allows me to issue electronic invoices to my customers and the debit card allows me complete access to the company funds.

Legally (in Europe certainly) PayPal is run and regulated as a bank.

The sooner I can tap n' pay with my phone and the PayPal app then the happier I will be.

pkvillager

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what do you do with one of the numerous places that don't accept PayPal? A very small percentage of retailers in my area accept PayPal.

Well to be honest since I use my PayPal debit card I almost never have issues. We have our regular bank card in case. It's a debit/mastercard so it works like any other card.

The only time I had an issue is with my barber who uses square. I used my PayPal card two or three times then the last time square rejected it. I didn't have my bank card so I went next door to Walgreens an bought a pop with the PayPal card and got cash back with no issues. That is the only time I felt a transaction didn't work because of PayPal. I'll be back there soon to check if it was just a coincidence.

pkvillager

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
PayPal *is* the bank for my business, it allows me to issue electronic invoices to my customers and the debit card allows me complete access to the company funds.

Legally (in Europe certainly) PayPal is run and regulated as a bank.

The sooner I can tap n' pay with my phone and the PayPal app then the happier I will be.

That's exactly why I started a account with them. I had my own business and they were the easiest way to accept credit cards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro