Surface pro 3 /4 vs iPad pro

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly enjoying my new Surface Pro 3. I think the iPad Pro, or whatever they will call it, will be a waste unless it runs some version of OS X. That much screen real estate is a useless upgrade to the current iPad Air in my opinion. I think it would be totally awesome to have a touch enabled version of OS X for the iPad Pro. Apple would definitely have a lot of current and new users upgrading to it if they go that route. A bigger iPad Air doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me and I bet most current Air users wouldn't see much reason to upgrade either. Of course these are just my opinions, but I really do hope Apple releases the iPad Pro with a touch version of OS X. That would be totally awesome.
The mythical iPad Pro doesn't necessarily need to run OSX for it to be useful. The iOS ecosystem is very mature and there are plenty of professional-level apps for productivity and content creation already available. It was the existence of those apps that made it difficult for me to stick with the Surface RT and Surface 2 (as a tablet). I'm not interested in any Surface Pro device until it goes fanless... I will not buy a tablet that has a fan.

If Apple were to produce a 12" iPad with an active digitizer, support for BT mice, that alone would be enough for me to upgrade from my iPad 4 and maybe even consolidate a few other devices that I use.

Microsoft got it mostly right with the Surface Pro 3. I saw some revenue figures for it and it seems like it is steadily growing marketshare. I'm intrigued by the Continuum feature of Windows 10 and look forward to how it works in real world scenarios.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Shoehorning OSX onto a touch oriented device would be Apple's Win 8.0 moment. Having a dock or add on peripherals would further muck it up. That's just not Apple. They're smarter than that.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
There is a chance that Apple might put a USB 3.1 Type-C connector on their iPad Pro. It's almost thin enough to be done. Apple ha a history of jumping on new connectors for their products.

I do hope that MS puts a USB 3.1 Type-C connector on the SP4.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
iPad Pro running OS X does not make sense at all. If you are expecting a touch-enabled device running OS X, then the name of the device would definitely not be "iPad xxx". Secondly, MacBook Air/Pro have been popular - why would Apple release an OS X device which would surely affect the sales of Macbooks?

As an SP3 user, I think iPad Pro is not attractive at all. Its productivity is as low as iPad. iOS apps can never be productive.

I would rather expect Apple would release a touch-enabled MacBook, possibly in the next 2-3 years. Such MacBook will have a direct competition with the Surface Pro series. Let's wait and see.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You may consider my statement as ignorant as you want to, I couldn't care less. I had to use Mac OS X Snow Leopard at work for a couple of months. I personally don't see where it's supposed to be easier or more convenient to use. I may have felt this way because I was used to Windows and the way it works, but I learned all the keyboard shortcuts and whatnot in no time and still wasn't as productive or fast as on Windows.

Yes, calling it inferior was subjective, but if it was on par or even better than Windows, wouldn't it have a much higher user base than it does? Wouldn't we see it in business? Fact is, low user base, pretty much none existent in businesses.

Sounds like how most people feel about using windows phones... Strange isn't it?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't agree even with the ease of use. I had to troubleshoot a MacBook Pro for an hour last week, I also regularly have to "fix" different things on my dad's iPad. Now I'm pretty tech sawwy, but dont have much experience with Apple's products. Nothing in the OS is really intuitive in any way, there was not one thing in either iPad or the MacBook OS-wise that I would've considered to be easier to use than fe. Windows based machines or Android.

Like the other person, I've also used Windows like most of my life, so obviously that's kinda familiar (but also Win 8 was a breeze to get used to for me and those new things in Win 8 didnt share much with previous Windows).

But I don't think it's about ease of use if you still have to get used to it and learn it before it becomes easy. It wasn't easy in that case, and definitely not intuitive.

I'm personally not saying the OS is bad or all that inferior (except software wise at least), but I'm saying that I think the ease of use-line is just something that people already used to it throw around with little to back it up. I honestly felt like punching the MacBook several times cos it just felt awful to use. Perhaps it was an older model too, but it wasn't even snappy and fast like I've thought Apple devices are marketed as.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss