and install a bigger ssd?? thank you
    melzappICTServ likes this.
    01-23-2015 12:57 PM
    You might be able to take it apart to install a different disk although I suspect that may be a huge effort. Apparently there is a lot of glue holding it together. As for the RAM it is not user upgradeable at all.
    mtb1 likes this.
    01-23-2015 01:17 PM
    Good luck, take a look at the iFixit teardown and you'll see why. There's gotta be a reason as to how it can be so impossibly thin and light
    mtb1 likes this.
    01-23-2015 01:19 PM
    It was specifically designed to not be user serviceable. In fact, they aren't even serviced by Surface Support - they just ship a replacement unit. No, you cannot upgrade either the RAM or SSD....
    mtb1 likes this.
    01-23-2015 09:19 PM
    You can't replace anything. One reason you should always buy the largest SSD/RAM configuration you can afford, not the one you think will meet your needs. Is it possible to have too much storage or RAM?
    Harrie-S, mtb1 and eds817 like this.
    01-24-2015 04:15 AM
    I do wish I would have splurged for the i7 256GB model. I can live with less storage thanks to my OneDrive account, but the CPU & RAM bump would be very useful with some things I have going on right now.
    mtb1 likes this.
    01-25-2015 06:27 PM
    I do wish I would have splurged for the i7 256GB model. I can live with less storage thanks to my OneDrive account, but the CPU & RAM bump would be very useful with some things I have going on right now.
    You can install a bigger ssd but that's about it. If you wanted to upgrade the ram or cpu you could purchase a used logic board off of ebay with more ram and a better cpu. Since the pro 3 is a bit older you could probably get the logic board with 8gb or ram and the care i7 for somewhere in the area of about 300 bucks. But if its storage you need, you can purchase 2tb msata ssd and put it in yourself if really wanted to and you'll be good.

The real issue is that the screen needs to be removed in order to do this and its extremely fragile. If you use the normal tools for most devices (heat gun, adhesive pick to cut the glue free and pry tools) there's about a 75% chance you'll crack some area of the digitizer. So what you want to do (and I'm not sure why people haven't thought about this with most guides I've seen) is use a heat gun to first soften the adhesive, then you need a suction separater to create a gap which you can insert a thin separation pick or even a playing card from a normal deck. DO NOT TRY TO CUT THE ADHESIVE BY SLIDING A PLASIC SEPARATION PICK AROUND THE FRAM, INSTEAD YOU WANT TO PURCHASE LCD DISPLAY CUTTING WIRE...

https://www.amazon.com/0-10mm-Golden...pUvbUpU3785026

Its extremely thin and durable gold plated wire and all you have to do is inset it in the gap you created and grab the ends with both hands and just slowly pull is left to right as you move all around the display (just like you do when you floss your teeth) and it will cut the adhesive evenly without risking the screen being bent by the normal tools which is how it cracks.

You will have to hold the device in place as you do this so that it doesn't move around as your move back and forth to slice through the adhesive. Don't pull the wire through the device just move around the edges just enough to cut the glue. You don't even need to keep the display heated as you do this because its basically razor wire and the glue is like butter to it. This has the added bonus of allowing you to heat the glue back up and bond secure it back in place when you put everything back together. Just take your time with it because if you flex the glass as you do this it will crack. keep the line pressure on the frame as you cut through the glue and you'll be good.
    06-21-2019 05:29 PM