Grip for the SP3 surface pen?

Phillip Childs

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,
I?ve owned my surface pro 3 for a few months now and I love it. I?ve noticed a couple minor bugs here and there but nothing to bat an eye at. I use one note almost daily for my classes. It?s made note taking a breeze. I have one qualm with the surface pen though. It?s a tad too heavy and too sleek. It likes to shift around in my hand while I write. Every time I want to use the buttons on the pen I have to take a moment to reposition it.

Is anyone else having this problem? I?ve created a design for a pen grip exclusively for the surface pen. The 3-d printed prototype should arrive tomorrow. I?m wondering if other surface pro 3 users agree with me and would consider buying such a product. Let me know what you think!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I like the weight far more than that of the Stylus that came with the very first Surface Pro. That being said, I prefer more heavy pens when writing. I agree with you on the buttons though, I'm facing the same.

jmaporras

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I am having no problem at all with the weight. In fact, I like it, it makes it feel more "real". I use one note a lot, and I agree with you on the buttons. Finding the right one requires you to change the position of your hand many times, a grip would be great! But, would you be able to use the pen loop with the grip on?

Phillip Childs

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
would you be able to use the pen loop with the grip on?

I didn't take that into account when designing the prototype. I don't use the pen loop with my surface. I just stick the pen to the magnetic point on the charger input when I'm not using it. When the prototype arrives I'll experiment with the pen loop to see how it'll interact with it.

Phillip Childs

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I like the weight far more than that of the Stylus that came with the very first Surface Pro. That being said, I prefer more heavy pens when writing. I agree with you on the buttons though, I'm facing the same.

I agree with you, I like the weight, but the weight plus the sleek metal throws me off just a little. But my prototype is meant to keep the thumb near the buttons so it's more fluid to press the buttons

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
You're on to something. I hate "feeling" for the buttons and having the pen rotate

However, I also tend to grip the pen a little harder than others and want a gel-like soft feel.

Maybe you could reverse print a mold and mold it out of rubber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Phillip Childs

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
This is just a 3-d print. I'm thinking of starting a kickstarter to get the funds to produce some of these guys in a more rubber like material (like a traditional pen grip).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo