Buying 2 surface pro 3s. is 64gb enough considering I have unlimited onedrive plus HDs and SD?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am buying 2 SP3s for my wife and I. Can you get by using 64gb with off machine storage? I plan on using Corel PSP x7 and video editor x7. And the normal apps. I would run a 128gb SD card plus my 500 GB USB hd.

Think I will be ok?

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My desktop has a 60 gig ssd for the OS and programs. I started with Win 7 then upgraded to 8.0 and 8.1. Right now I have 14.5 of 59.5 gigs free. If I remember right when I first installed the OS it used a little over 20 gigs. I feel I have quite a few programs installed but I am not a gamer. You just have to keep your eye on it and delete stuff you don't use.

A real handy program is Tree Size Free because it will show you exactly where your storage space has gone. I found videos and power point presentations that were up to a year old in the appdata folder that windows was holding for some reason.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Probably would suffice but you should consider potential future software or the W10 upgrade in your HD space calculation.

I added an external drive to my WiFi router. Pretty handy.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I think you'll find yourself wishing you got the 128GB model at the very least. While its true you can store your documents online only with OneDrive, you also have to consider patches, updates, and upgrades, such as windows 10. Add in space that your apps will take, and its not a stretch to think that that you'll be running out of space fairly quickly.

I think you need to figure out your max space needs now, its growth, and then pick a configuration. Trying to shoe horn everything in now into a rather small storage configuration will only result in frustration.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure why they even sell the 64GB one.
A few months down the line, by the time the (unmovable/undeletable) WinSxS directory has filled with Windows Updates it'll be full. And that's even if you keep using OneDrive, SD's, and external disks for your actual files.
And forget upgrading to Win 10 as/when that's released - there'll be no space for it to do a "rollback" backup.
I'd think twice about 128GB too,
Anything less than 256GB may well be a regretful purchase. Mind you, depends how long you plan to keep the devices.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The problem is the 256gb one is so damn expensive. I can get 2 64gb versions for the price of the big one. Hmmmm. Can apps be saved on sd with the surface?

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The problem is the 256gb one is so damn expensive. I can get 2 64gb versions for the price of the big one. Hmmmm. Can apps be saved on sd with the surface?

My understanding is the SD is best suited for media. The constant writing and rewriting of a program could wear down the SD card so it becomes no longer writable.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I would say it's enough only if you use it for simple stuff. Once you start downloading blu ray HD movies, that's bye bye storage.

And no, apps could not be downloaded to the SD card.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have sd cards and drives for movies. Mainly what I use our tablets for now is basic browsing and work. I edit vacation trip photos on it from the HD back to HD so its not stored on my tablet. All Media is on my 500gb usb drive. So really, is 64 enough for the photo/video x7 suite, plus most apps that I will be running?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I have sd cards and drives for movies. Mainly what I use our tablets for now is basic browsing and work. I edit vacation trip photos on it from the HD back to HD so its not stored on my tablet. All Media is on my 500gb usb drive. So really, is 64 enough for the photo/video x7 suite, plus most apps that I will be running?
Yes it will be enough, as long as apps you download are not big games

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I personally think it'll be fine. 64gb is enough for your needs as long as you store documents and media on your SD/HD. You should be able to use the device for at least the next 10+ years with careful management, with Windows 10 included. Go for it.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the 64gb is to small. I have the 128gb with 77.47gb free. Of the 128gb there's only 113.40gb available. The rest is partitioned as follows: 5.18gb recovery partition, 200mb EFI system partition, 350mb recovery partition.

I'm a firm believer in buying as much as you can afford since you can't upgrade.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree, buying as much as you can afford. Because I am buying 2, that cuts the budget essentially in half. Even though we have two vivotab RTs now, I am guessing the resale market for these are damn near nothing, So I cannot get any extra money to goto the 128s with that. I am guessing that 64s will work. The resale on a SP3 would be much better than any other tablet so if I find mine not enough I could sell that one and get a larger version.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
64gb should be okay size-wise; however, if you're going to be working with HD video, according to the Corel website Video Studio X7 (Pro and Ultimate) recommends a 4th generation i7 processor.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
No, no, no. Not unless you are very, very strict with your usage - i.e. Apps installed. My first move to Windows from 7 years of Macs was a Asus T100 with 32gb of on board storage. I keep my OneDrive folder on an microSD card. The only Apps I managed to squeeze on the internal storage are Photoshop, Lightroom, Anti Virus. Leaves me around 250mb to 1gb - depending on caches used, etc.

My first SP3 was i7/256gb. Just bought another (with a 25% discount) and it had to be i7/512 (that was the only one with the 25% off - Adobe offer).

You can never have enough storage, but you can regret not having enough!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb