Overheating for No Reason?

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the i5 256GB version which first came out.

Never had an issue with overheating ever, most likely due to the fact that I really only use my SP3 for Word Files, Excel, Email via App and Web Browsing using IE.

All of the sudden, since 2 days ago, I will have it on, brightness is about 75% when plugged in, and fan comes on and back gets very hot. I've never had this happen to me before so to have it start now is a bit strange.

Even stranger is the fact when looking at task manager, the only thing it shows is Task Manager running and when IE is open it is using between 3-6% CPU so nothing crazy at all. No other background processes register anything out of the ordinary.

I also restarted twice and still no change.

Anyone else have this issue?

starztruk

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been having the same exact issue and I had just updated my Pro 3 (i5/128 GB) yesterday via Windows Update, which included a hardware/firmware update. I could just be browsing the web with nothing too taxing on the processor and, all of a sudden, the tab's top-right (horizontal) corner becomes hot as hell and the fan just comes to life and becomes louder & louder. I go to Task Manager and find nothing else running or using too much CPU power. Did you update your Pro 3 recently? I think the overheating problem is associated with it. Before yesterday, I was never having this problem unless I was playing a graphic-intensive game like Asphalt 8.

robef

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
My Surface (i5/128 GB) has started to do this as well after updating it this morning. Glad to know mine isn't the only one, hopefully they put out a fix soon.

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In my experience the extra workload/rogue process is Windows Update going nuts.. After setting Windows Update to download and install updates manually I haven't had my fan running other than when I'm playing games or encoding videos.. it also increased my battery life approx. an hour I would say!

Hope this helps!

PICnico

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I will definitly try it.

I am watching a Amazon Prime Instand Movie right now over Silverlight (why the **** does Amazon dont use html 5 - anyway) and the fan makes me crazy. I am of the opinion that this is not normal... Can you watch Full HD Movies without a (noisy) fan (Youtube, Amazon, Netflix, local,...)?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had this as well. Open up task manager and you might see the sychronisation manager (or something like that) with a high CPU use (my i7 was running at 33-35%).

I don't have my device with me now, but if people can look at their task manager and report any process name that's eating CPU then I think we can track down the cause.

PICnico

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I can not watch a Full HD Movie without the fan makes me crazy. The CPU/GPU-Temperature goes up to 70?C just for a simple FHD-Movie (I tried a 10min movie on YouTube).

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, you have the windows installer that is running away on ya.

The first thing to try is from the Control Panel, Troubleshooting, "Fix problems with Windows Update".

If that doesn't work, it can be fixed via the command line. Open "Command Prompt (Admin)" and enter the following commands:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

Then if that doesn't work:

1.Type Notepad on start screen, and press enter.
2.Copy the following text, and then paste the text into Notepad.

net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
net stop cryptsvc
cd %systemroot%\system32
ren catroot2 catroot2old
net start cryptsvc

3. Click File, click Save As, and then type Repair.bat.
4. In the Save as type box, click All Files.
5. In the Save in box, click Desktop, and then click Save.
6. On the File menu, click Exit.
7. Double-click the Repair.bat file that you saved in step 5.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, count me as part of this as well. I didnt notice it until about 1 or 2 weeks ago. My surface pro3 is just literally sitting there...doing nothing. So i guess it got bored and decided to just kick the fan on at ludicrous speed...

dbdmora

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I got my surface i5/256 couple of weeks ago and I noticed this after doing all the updates. This is very annoying as my Surface Pro 2 did not have this issue. I can be just browsing web or reading email and the fan will start to kick in, become loud and right top be hot. I just installed a small app and once it was done installing the fan kicked in and start getting louder. The only thing that was running at 30%+ cpu was a windows host service which I ended the task and windows search indexer which I stopped the service. Now the fan stopped being so loud and it is back to normal. I really Hope MS comes out with a fix soon. Any other suggestions from others?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett