Can you install disk drive programmes on the Pro 3?

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the Surface Pro 3 for University and I was wondering if anyone knew if, and how you install disk drive programmes onto their Surface. Also, does anyone know what criteria/credentials are needed to get hardware from the Microsoft student discount store (UK)?
Furthermore, should I get the I5 128gb model, or bite the bullet and get the 256gb model?

Terrence A

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am taking it you are meaning media that is on a CDROM/DVD-ROMs. All you need to do is connect a external rom drive and done. If it is compatible with Windows 7 than they will all mostly work just fine.

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
In looking at external CD/DVD drives, consider that the USB port on the SP3 is a low power port so you will need a low power drive or else your drive will have to have its own power supply (i.e., plug it into a wall outlet).

As to the ISO question, you can load ISOs as a virtual drive on Win8 without any special software or hardware and install your software that way.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's possible. I've done it a dozen times. Works just fine. My external cd drive only cost $10 on Amazon.

Tom Krupinski

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS 8X Slim DVD+/-RW Slim USB External Drive (Black) on Amazon and my review is below:
---
Needed a Y cable to work on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which has only a single USB 3 port. The supplied single cable did not work on that port as the DVD drive needed more power. When I ordered a Y cable USB Male to USB A Male and Mini 5 pin Y Splitter cable for $3 on eBay it works perfectly connecting the USB aux power to a AC converter and the data USB thru a 4 port USB hub to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 single USB port.

Unfortunately the supplied user installation guide nor web references provide information as to which Y cable is needed! There are some on Amazon if you search for: USB Male to USB A Male and Mini 5 pin Y Splitter cable

If the Y cable was provided or even specified I would have rated it 5 stars!
---

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it's possible. I've done it a dozen times. Works just fine. My external cd drive only cost $10 on Amazon.

What external hard drive have you got? and is this just solely using the USB port or do you have to use a y cable in order to get enough power?

jolinzhu

Banned
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
or you can choose to transfer you dvd movies firstly, then upload the dvd videos to your sp3, i just used a dvd conversion tool called Brorsoft DVD ripper. Hope this information is helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro