Hey guys, I am a first-year college student and I'm looking for a new laptop as my old laptop is almost 8 years and starting to slow down. I'm interested in both the Surface Pro 3 and Razer Blade 14". I need a powerhouse device so if it comes down to the surface, I'll get the i7 as I edit videos, and my major in school it's Computer Science. Both have the right firm factor for portability, with their weight and size and both are very powerful machines. I don't really PC game (I play freemium shooters occasionaly like Combat Arms) but I do game heavily on my Xbox one. I am also a Microsoft enthusiast; I own the Band, Zune HD, Lumia 1520, 360, and the original Xbox and of course a PC (no apple products ) which do you guys say is a better option? I'm currently saving up for one btw
    Last edited by Killer BIGxyz; 02-17-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    02-17-2015 06:48 PM
    Both laptops are powerful enough to do what you want to do, but the razer blade is much faster and has a bigger, more productive screen. The disadvantages of the razer blade are that it has a few hours less battery life, and will get even less compared to the surface under heavy usage, it does not have a pen, which could be useful, and the higher portability. The Surface Pro 3 is not a good laptop to get right now because most likely the Surface Pro 4 will be out soon. I recommend you get the Dell XPS 13, which is a full sized laptop smaller than the surface pro 3, and with the newer broadwell processors.
    Killer BIGxyz likes this.
    02-17-2015 07:21 PM
    thanks for the suggestion! I'd rather not get the XPS because ive had problems in the past with dell and don't want to go back there, but do you think I should really wait for the surface 4? I kinda need a laptop right now and don't really care for the latest in processors, as the surface pro 3 has plenty of power with the i7. I currently using a i3 processor.
    02-17-2015 07:39 PM
    It's also two different form factors you're talking about. For laptop purposes, I haven't found the Surface tablets to be a very convenient replacement simply due to the fact that you need the kickstand to prop it up instead of having a sturdy and flexible hinge. The Surface Pro gives you the advantage of the stylus, which is useful if you're doing something artistic, while the laptop gives you the advantage of being slightly more usable as a computer (in my opinion).

That being said, I was recently looking into laptops, and my top choices at the moment are the new Dell XPS 13" as mentioned above and the new Lenovo X1 Carbon. The Lenovo is my favorite due to its slightly larger matte screen, better webcam/mics, great keyboard, and still being super light at about 2.9 lbs.

EDIT: Also, the Lenovo may be better for programming purposes if that is something you do. Not sure how true this is, but I've read that Thinkpads tend to do better in linux environments due to having less driver/hardware recognition issues when programming. Plus, of course, the matte screen, which is better for staring at code all day.
    02-17-2015 07:41 PM
    It depends on where you think you'll spend the most time with it. If you're deciding between a Rolls and a Ferrari, you'll go with the Rolls if you're just driving it around and you want comfort, but you'll go with the Ferrari if you want to go fast and take it to the track.
    If you think you'll spend most of your time with it at a desk, then I'd go with the laptop form factor. It gives you more screen real estate and a better keyboard (unless of course you'll be using a separate one). However, I love being able to handwrite notes on my computer with a stylus during lectures. It's so nice to be able to move things around after you've written them and switch between different colors and highlighters and even paper type (plain, ruled, grid) by tapping a button. I now avoid pen and paper as much as possible.
    (I went with a convertible, the Vaio Flip 14, so I get the best of both worlds! :D That said, you could easily go with a laptop as your main and also buy a cheap tablet for notes.)
    As for power, either will be fine for anything you're going to do in college with programming and editing videos. Like what Penny_1 brought up, though, I don't know how well the Surface would handle a Unix environment if you want to do that, and I imagine that the Razer would do fine with it, but anymore it's probably easiest to stick with a Windows environment primarily and use the lab computers if you ever do need unix/Linux.
    Last edited by idokamaroq; 02-17-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarity
    02-17-2015 09:28 PM
    However, I love being able to handwrite notes on my computer with a stylus during lectures. It's so nice to be able to move things around after you've written them and switch between different colors and highlighters and even paper type (plain, ruled, grid) by tapping a button. I now avoid pen and paper as much as possible.
    This made me really want the surface now lol I use my small convertable Asus tablet and one note right now, and it would be awesome to have the option to handwrite it also
    02-18-2015 11:27 AM
    Hi I am also having the same problem except i m choosing from RB and SF pro 4 (it will come out no later than this october. ) I have a question: Can I get a stylus for razer blade? Can i use it to take notes in one note? I know rb screen isn't flipable but i just waonder is it possible.....
    05-11-2015 11:26 PM
    Both laptops are powerful enough to do what you want to do, but the razer blade is much faster and has a bigger, more productive screen. The disadvantages of the razer blade are that it has a few hours less battery life, and will get even less compared to the surface under heavy usage, it does not have a pen, which could be useful, and the higher portability. The Surface Pro 3 is not a good laptop to get right now because most likely the Surface Pro 4 will be out soon. I recommend you get the Dell XPS 13, which is a full sized laptop smaller than the surface pro 3, and with the newer broadwell processors.
    Hi I am also having the same problem except i m choosing from RB and SF pro 4 (it will come out no later than this october. ) I have a question: Can I get a stylus for razer blade? Can i use it to take notes in one note? I know rb screen isn't flipable but i just waonder is it possible.....
    05-11-2015 11:27 PM