Open new notebook in OneNote

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
So I created a new notebook in my OneDrive cloud storage with the desktop version of OneNote on another computer.

I've been unable to figure out how to open the new notebook on my SP3 (modern OneNote). Could not for the life of me find a way to open a Notebook off OneDrive. I could create new, but not open a new one off OneNote.

Eventually I was able to open it in OneNote via the OneDrive.com website, but that seems like a klugey workaround.

Any suggestions??

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Tap the 3 lines (hamburger menu) in the top left then select "more" underneath the list if notebooks. It should then show you a list of all your OneDrive notebooks on the left.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
There is no "More" button. There's a "+Notebooks" button but nothing else. And no More button in the swipe-up-from-bottom menu.

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
There is no "More" button. There's a "+Notebooks" button but nothing else. And no More button in the swipe-up-from-bottom menu.

I am new to OneNote but hoping to learn (not intuitive at all, what with versions for phone, metro, desktop and web)

anyway I tapped the "+Notebook" and got a text box under the existing notebooks (miles away from where I tapped I might add) where I could type the name of the new Notebook

hth

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
You have to use the desktop version of OneNote, then hit file and open. Should be able to browse from the location then. Or just tap where your notebooks show in the top left of the home screen and then choose open notebook from there.

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Right. For creating a new one. But not for opening one off OneDrive. Can't find it anywhere....

oh, my bad.

did you create the Notebook in a folder, not at the top level "Documents" folder?
looks to me like Metro/Modern can only open Notebooks at that top level folder?
I found this with Office on my Phone - can only see docs at the high level folder, not sub folders. OneNote on the phone is the same.
leads to a very flat file structure :angry:

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the "more" option in Modern OneNote in my Surface 2.
As above, OneNote will only find notebooks in either the root of your OneDrive or 1 directory down. Any more than that and they will not be picked up (from what I can tell)

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site

well,
this is interesting.
I have been playing around to learn OneNote
created some new NoteBooks via desktop OneNote, did some updating via WP OneNote.
Just gone into Metro and now I can see a " v More..." which was not there before. And it shows a notebook in a subdirectory.
Also at the bottom of the sidebar where the "+ Notebook" appears is a "+ add a work or school account to see more notebooks"
whatever that is, wasn't there before.
has OneNote just had a update? or have I done something that triggers further options

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't had an update, that's how mine has looked for ages. Something must have triggered the options - perhaps creating the new notebook.

(Shameless plug.... I have written an app that lets you create notebooks and section on Windows Phone, as well as pin tiles for sections and notebooks. It's called Pinmore for OneNote. Hopefully will be updating tomorrow to make pinned section tiles launch quicker. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it!)

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
It hasn't had an update, that's how mine has looked for ages. Something must have triggered the options - perhaps creating the new notebook.

(Shameless plug.... I have written an app that lets you create notebooks and section on Windows Phone, as well as pin tiles for sections and notebooks. It's called Pinmore for OneNote. Hopefully will be updating tomorrow to make pinned section tiles launch quicker. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it!)

hope the OP doesn't mind the hijack :)

I had created the new notebook in the subdirectory at least a day before to see if I could use a structured file directory for notebooks and had concluded I couldn't, see post above.
I am wondering if OneDrive takes ages to sync, esp new directory structures. The one that appeared more quickly was created in the root then moved via Explorer to the sub directory.

thanks for the tip on Pinmore. universal sometime?
I am planning to wean myself off Word onto OneNote so any productivity tools welcome.
personally I think a plug here is welcome cause searching the Store is problematic at best (needs more filters, keyword search, save to wish/compare list)

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
hope the OP doesn't mind the hijack :)

I had created the new notebook in the subdirectory at least a day before to see if I could use a structured file directory for notebooks and had concluded I couldn't, see post above.
I am wondering if OneDrive takes ages to sync, esp new directory structures. The one that appeared more quickly was created in the root then moved via Explorer to the sub directory.

thanks for the tip on Pinmore. universal sometime?
I am planning to wean myself off Word onto OneNote so any productivity tools welcome.
personally I think a plug here is welcome cause searching the Store is problematic at best (needs more filters, keyword search, save to wish/compare list)

Very strange... I've never had OneNote on my phone or Surface 2 pick up notebooks that were more than one directory deep. Maybe you're right, perhaps it takes longer to find them the deeper they are.

As for Pinmore - no plans to make it universal at the moment, as the Windows 8.1 version of OneNote can already pin tiles for notebooks and sections, unlike the phone version. I'm considering making them live tiles, showing updates if other people update shared notebooks, at which point I may look at making it universal.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
well,
this is interesting.
I have been playing around to learn OneNote
created some new NoteBooks via desktop OneNote, did some updating via WP OneNote.
Just gone into Metro and now I can see a " v More..." which was not there before. And it shows a notebook in a subdirectory.
Also at the bottom of the sidebar where the "+ Notebook" appears is a "+ add a work or school account to see more notebooks"
whatever that is, wasn't there before.
has OneNote just had a update? or have I done something that triggers further options
I'm missing the "v More" button completely. I've found some screenshots online that show there should be a "v More" button directly under the last listed notebook, but it's not there on mine.

Looks like the only way for me to open a new notebook (not create one, but open one stored on my OneDrive created on another PC) is to go to OneNote.com and open it from there in the OneNote app.

I can get to them from the desktop version of OneNote 2013, but, again, I'm trying to get it open in Metro OneNote.

Freaking odd....

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
In my Modern OneNote I have a "More Notebooks" button. Clicking that launches a picker of all my notebooks stored in OneDrive. They're all in OneDrive\Documents (I've not played with changing the default locations for those for years - seem to remember it broke something when I last tried to structure them).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 31

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
well, I have put a notebook two levels down.
made sure it was closed
and when I tap v More it comes up in the list.

so the trick MBSMD for you is to get that v More to appear somehow.

like you I didn't have it til I went into explorer and created sub directories and moved a notebook there.
I could assume I wasn't getting it because I had nothing elsewhere but I doubt that is the right assumption since all I had to choose from was Recent Notes. And I got this "+ add a work or school account to see more notebooks" as well. Which I had never seen before.

And to add more to the confusion my Metro/Modern UI is different to hotphil's.

onenote sidebar.jpg

Last edited:

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
MBSMD - it sounds like maybe your Modern onenote app isn't connected properly with your Microsoft / OneDrive account. Try this: -

1. From the onenote app, swipe in from the right and go to settings
2. Select "Options". Is your OneDrive account at the top under "Accounts"?
3. Go back and select "Accounts", rather than options. Is you Microsoft account shown there?

Maybe try removing and re-adding your Microsoft / OneDrive account?

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
MBSMD - it sounds like maybe your Modern onenote app isn't connected properly with your Microsoft / OneDrive account. Try this: -

1. From the onenote app, swipe in from the right and go to settings
2. Select "Options". Is your OneDrive account at the top under "Accounts"?
3. Go back and select "Accounts", rather than options. Is you Microsoft account shown there?

Maybe try removing and re-adding your Microsoft / OneDrive account?

The MS account seems to be set up. My info is there and changes to existing notebooks get synced properly. I will try removing and re-adding my account when I have a few spare minutes and see what happens. Otherwise, the app is fully up to date as is Windows and the SP3 firmware.

Alex Ritchie

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Just had same problem - here's how I fixed it:

Create new Note Book in One Note 2013. Sync all folders.
Open Onenote app on SP3. (V More button is missing).
Closed down both Onenote's.
Re-open Onenote app and under my existing notebooks is the "more" option. Click on that and it is inserted.

Seems that closing them down after syncing makes changes actually happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers