03-20-2015 01:59 PM
51 123
tools
    My wishlist:

• Higher resolution screen (216 ppi is a little low for a device that can be used as a tablet IMHO)
    • Better trackpad (bigger trackpad surface and hopefully approaching the performance, repeatability and reliability of MacBook trackpads)
    • Better battery life (Intel Broadwell should certainly help here)
    • Two different sizes
    • Thinner and lighter (as always)
    02-20-2015 01:23 PM
    Aside from what you mentioned, I'll add front facing speakers.
    MaxyBley likes this.
    02-20-2015 01:37 PM
    The speakers are front facing.
    rdubmu and Vistaus like this.
    02-21-2015 12:06 PM
    For me the device itself is pretty much perfect. The resolution is plenty high enough - the DPI could be higher.

Main issues for me are with Win 8.1 bugs. Hopefully some sorted in Win 10.

Lighter and thinner = less room for battery, heat sink?

Oh, should come with keyboard as standard. I would move the headphone socket to the bottom and some sort of area to store pen - but just being picky really.
    BGrewer and anon(5061193) like this.
    02-21-2015 12:10 PM
    You know that higher resolution leads to decreased battery life and worse scaling issues right? 216 PPI is honestly enough. It's a great compromise between quality and battery life
    As for thickness, I think the device at 9.1mm is just fine. Sure they could lower it but that would cost battery life. I'd rather them focusing on lowering weight a bit more. The device is quite heavy for tablet-in-hand use.
    Honestly for the pro 4 I just want longer battery life, further improved type cover, and cooler CPU when under load
    sahib lopez, wpn00b and rjansen3 like this.
    02-21-2015 03:33 PM
    Thinner, lighter, better battery life. I've already very happy with performance.
    BGrewer likes this.
    02-21-2015 07:26 PM
    For me the device itself is pretty much perfect. The resolution is plenty high enough - the DPI could be higher.

Main issues for me are with Win 8.1 bugs. Hopefully some sorted in Win 10.

Lighter and thinner = less room for battery, heat sink?

Oh, should come with keyboard as standard. I would move the headphone socket to the bottom and some sort of area to store pen - but just being picky really.
    I agree. Same weight, our even slightly habitat would be fine if it could resolve the heat issues and store the pen in the body.

I would also like a smart cover without a keyboard.
    02-21-2015 07:56 PM
    You know that higher resolution leads to decreased battery life and worse scaling issues right? 216 PPI is honestly enough. It's a great compromise between quality and battery life
    As for thickness, I think the device at 9.1mm is just fine. Sure they could lower it but that would cost battery life. I'd rather them focusing on lowering weight a bit more. The device is quite heavy for tablet-in-hand use.
    Honestly for the pro 4 I just want longer battery life, further improved type cover, and cooler CPU when under load
    Is it heavy??? I feel like its feather light. Feels lighter than my venue 11 pro.
    02-21-2015 07:57 PM
    Better screen. At least 14 inches. I really cannot deal with the small screen for app development..
    02-21-2015 08:24 PM
    Better screen. At least 14 inches. I really cannot deal with the small screen for app development..
    I think that might be more than pushing it for a tablet/hybrid.

Something else is probably better suited for you, the 14" ThinkPad Yoga comes to mind. (I'd probably consider that if it had a stylus option :/)
    Vistaus likes this.
    02-21-2015 08:27 PM
    Longer battery life, lighter, better trackpad, and a place to put the pen.
    BGrewer and wpn00b like this.
    02-22-2015 12:42 AM
    Bigger screen or have it in different sizes, longer battery life and a built in pen holder
    02-22-2015 08:45 AM
    Lte, GPS, thinner
    Roland Stoll and wpn00b like this.
    02-22-2015 09:09 AM
    Oh yeah, you're right about the LTE. I had the Surface 2, before the pro 3 came out, and I loved having LTE on the go. That was my main complaint when getting the pro 3. I guess I've gotten used to living without it but that would definitely make the device special.
    02-22-2015 03:56 PM
    You know there is a difference between what you are "expecting" and what you would like (or wish) to have, right? If these are what you are expecting, you may not buy a Surface Pro (some version number) any time soon. Microsoft does what it does to optimize on their revenue, as it made many management decisions on the design of Surface Pro 3.

There will always be lighter, smaller or bigger, longer battery life kind of requests. For me, the GPS and LTE will come in very handy but I have decided not to wait. I sacrifice the occasionally used feature for something I can have in my hands now. Most likely I won't buy a SP4 just to have an upgrade like some Apple I-phone users. Maybe I will buy a SP6.
    02-22-2015 07:20 PM
    Affordability for the low end crowd... Most everything will be gutted, run on 512k (not Mb) and be encased in plastic.
    02-22-2015 08:10 PM
    Want? improved repairability
    Do I Expect it? sadly no.
    02-23-2015 02:25 PM
    • fanless design
    • slightly thinner stylus with a reasonable option for transporting it with the Surface Pro
    • better trackpad
    • higher quality device drivers

sam6691 likes this.
    02-23-2015 03:13 PM
    I would also like a smart cover without a keyboard.
    I have always thought they should have had a protective cover standard for all devices starting with the Surface RT.
    02-23-2015 10:33 PM
    • fanless design
    • better trackpad
    • higher quality device drivers

Yep, and more configuration options.
    New reversible Type C connector
    02-23-2015 10:54 PM
    IMHO the Surface Pro 3 is close to perfection. There are just a few minor things that would make the SP4 even better than the SP3 IMHO:

-Little bit more durable kickstand. A couple of months after using my SP3 a lot, the kickstand is getting a little bit out of shape. Not a big deal, but if they can improve that a bit with the SP4, then why not.
    -Little bit more durable fan. A couple of months after using my SP3 i3/64GB a lot, the fan sounds a bit more noisy like a car engine. The fan doesn't kick in that much so it's not a big deal, but when it's definitely a tad more noisy than it was before. So if they can improve that a bit with the SP4, then why not.
    -A second USB 3.0 port. Either by default or as a configurable option. I don't use USB all that much, but when I do, a second port would come in handy. Not too mention the fact that the tech reviewers on YouTube would be happy about that as well which'll generate even more positive buzz for the SP4 ;)

And sure, Type Cover Pro by default would be nice to have as well. Speaking of which, the Type Cover Pro is also nearly perfect for me. What it does need though:

-The felt on the back of the cover is nice, but hard to clean. This has been an issue ever since the first gen. Would be nice if it was easier to clean.
    -Better pen holder. I have had to replace it once 'cause it just didn't wanna stick to the cover anymore. It's also a little bit of a hassle to slide the pen back in sometimes and sometimes the pen wobbles on my desk when typing. I don't need a pen holder in the SP4 (if they wanna do so, then fine with me but not per se needed for me), but a better holder (in whatever kind of way) for the cover would be great to have.
    -Optionally, it would be nice to have a button or two for increasing/decreasing screen brightness.
    02-24-2015 06:13 AM
    Fanless N light weight.
    02-24-2015 06:24 AM
    Optionally, it would be nice to have a button or two for increasing/decreasing screen brightness.
    Use the Fn key plus either the del or backspace key to change brightness.

Here is a link to other function. Microsoft Surface Type Covers| Type Cover, Type Cover 2, and Type Cover for Surface Pro 3
    02-24-2015 01:01 PM
    LTE and better battery life (and Windows 10), and I'll order one on release day.
    02-24-2015 01:41 PM
    1) Lowest priced Pro 4 should be i3, 128GB (No more 64GB storage)
    2) Shoot for 1.2-LB vs current 1.76LB
    3) Make it slightly thinner from current 0.4inches to 0.3inches (might need to use smaller usb vs full usp port)
    4) Increase battery life from current 9hrs to 12hrs
    5) Make room for pen in the device
    6) Change Kick stand design by making it circular base at the center of the device, and let hinge (using currently hinge mechanism) from there with a rotative flap in Portrait and landscape direction. Note: These rotating flaps are housed neatly as current kickstand flap. see rough diagram
    sp4_kickstand_asoyemi_24feb15.jpg
    7) Sell the Keyboard with it as a bundle. ($80 more versus current separate $130)
    02-24-2015 03:59 PM
51 123