Surface Pro i5/128GB for basic photo editing

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Surface Pro 3, the i5/128GB model. I am a sports photographer, and one of the main usage scenarios for me would be taking the Surface on-site, uploading jpegs of the game I'm shooting, and doing VERY quick editing of the pics in Lightroom 5. I would just do quick edits with exposure and cropping, then email the pics to the AD on site. I would assume even with 4GB RAM I could still do quick edits and not be bogged down too much.

Thoughts?

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
well considering i have the i3/64gb base model and have full photoshop and illustrator in it and am constantly doing photo manips/editing, and its strolls along fine, admittedly am not a heavy PS user, but am getting away with what sounds more than you are mentioning for editing tasks, so can only presume that i5 will make it even faster

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
with photo editing RAM is your friend. get the 256GB model with 8GB RAM. you wont regret it. the lightroom database is quite intensive, but with the SSD youll be fine.

lightroom is generally pretty good on ram, but I only use it on my i7 desktop with 16GB of RAM, so I don't notice it too much, except when I open PS and start processing a panorama, it starts to chug along

m3tv

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the i5/128/4gb RAM model of the SP2 and I do constant PhotoShop and Illustrator editing and its holding up pretty well

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Here is what I want to do: I shoot college hockey, and I shoot RAW and JPG (JPG for editing on site, RAW for editing at home). So as I shoot, and a goal is scored, I run up to the press box, upload my shots, pick 1 or 2 pics of the goal, crop and/or adjust exposure, export, then email to the AD for posting on their web site.

I save the heavy editing for my home computer. I am also going to use it for my every-day portable PC, but wouldn't use it any harder than what I'd do with the quick sports pics I described.

And... I've always wanted a semi-decent tablet... :)

m3tv

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Here is what I want to do: I shoot college hockey, and I shoot RAW and JPG (JPG for editing on site, RAW for editing at home). So as I shoot, and a goal is scored, I run up to the press box, upload my shots, pick 1 or 2 pics of the goal, crop and/or adjust exposure, export, then email to the AD for posting on their web site.

I save the heavy editing for my home computer. I am also going to use it for my every-day portable PC, but wouldn't use it any harder than what I'd do with the quick sports pics I described.

And... I've always wanted a semi-decent tablet... :)

Hey a fellow hockey fan! Anyways the surface would be MORE than enough to do that, I use it as my main and it can handle everything really well

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey a fellow hockey fan! Anyways the surface would be MORE than enough to do that, I use it as my main and it can handle everything really well

Sure am! I shoot at Providence College hockey games. I've done the Providence Bruins a few times, but never Boston.

I'm going to grab the Surface today, put it to use this weekend, game on Saturday night.

m3tv

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Sure am! I shoot at Providence College hockey games. I've done the Providence Bruins a few times, but never Boston.

I'm going to grab the Surface today, put it to use this weekend, game on Saturday night.

That's awesome! Have fun, the Surface is a great device! If you need any tips or questions let me know I do photography and videography as well (all editing also on the surface) hopefully I can upgrade to the SP3

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Surface Pro 3, the i5/128GB model. I am a sports photographer, and one of the main usage scenarios for me would be taking the Surface on-site, uploading jpegs of the game I'm shooting, and doing VERY quick editing of the pics in Lightroom 5. I would just do quick edits with exposure and cropping, then email the pics to the AD on site. I would assume even with 4GB RAM I could still do quick edits and not be bogged down too much.

Thoughts?

I do lots of serious work with raw files, digital blending, and bracketing. My i3 has no problems. i5 will be fine. 😊

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... i went with the i5/128 after debating for a while about the i5/256, but figured the extra storage/memory wont really matter for me.

I'm REALLY liking this thing so far... forgot it had a fan in it until it fired up during Windows updates. I just wish it had a slot or something to hold the pen... I can see this thing getting lost pretty quick. But so far I'm happy.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
yes, the pen storage issue is a little strange, the magnetised area where the charger port is on the surface is is sufficient for short term immediate placement of the pen, but not quite strong enough for leaving it on all the time, as it invariably works it way off

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... i went with the i5/128 after debating for a while about the i5/256, but figured the extra storage/memory wont really matter for me.

I'm REALLY liking this thing so far... forgot it had a fan in it until it fired up during Windows updates. I just wish it had a slot or something to hold the pen... I can see this thing getting lost pretty quick. But so far I'm happy.

I grabbed a high speed Sandisk SDXC card to use a storage drive. Works well and a cheap solution to increasing storage space.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Use the pen holder that attaches to the keyword that comes with the keyboard if you bought one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratsey

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
When carrying my Surface I just clip the pen to the keyboard cover. Slide it where the hinged part is and it fits perfectly.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I grabbed a high speed Sandisk SDXC card to use a storage drive. Works well and a cheap solution to increasing storage space.

Storage really wasn't the issue... when I use it in the field for sports pics editing, I will delete the pics afterwards because I use my PC at home for the heavy-duty editing. I shoot on 2 cards in my camera: one does RAW and one does JPG, and I edit the JPG's on site for quick pics then do the RAW at home. The concern was the memory, but I'm sure 4GB will be just as good as 8GB for what I'm doing.

I do have an extra 64GB SD card so I will use it in the Surface anyway.

And thanks for the tips about the pen. I need to wait until next week to get the keyboard, but will make sure to try what you all suggested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb