I'm just wondering where the best place is to stick the pen cover on the Surface, or should I just leave it off?
    02-26-2015 06:24 AM
    I used some tape to experiment with various locations on my SP3. I would tape the pen loop to a spot, and use my SP3 for a couple of days in various configurations, with and without keyboard, portrait, landscape, etc. I put the pen loop/pen in just about every conceivable spot I could think of. In the end I found, for me, to put the loop/pen on the tablet, at the 'top' next to the rear facing camera (making sure it wouldn't cover any of the openings).

I found that location to be the most convent because I don't always have the keyboard attached all the time, when I use it in portrait mode the pen it out of the way under my left hand, because in portrait mode I put the Windows button at the top.

But try experimenting for yourself. Just don't peal off the backing on the loop until you find your ideal spot. The adhesive they put on the loop is really strong. If you peal off the loop, it won't stick again.
    BGrewer likes this.
    02-26-2015 09:24 AM
    I used some tape to experiment with various locations on my SP3. I would tape the pen loop to a spot, and use my SP3 for a couple of days in various configurations, with and without keyboard, portrait, landscape, etc. I put the pen loop/pen in just about every conceivable spot I could think of. In the end I found, for me, to put the loop/pen on the tablet, at the 'top' next to the rear facing camera (making sure it wouldn't cover any of the openings).

I found that location to be the most convent because I don't always have the keyboard attached all the time, when I use it in portrait mode the pen it out of the way under my left hand, because in portrait mode I put the Windows button at the top.

But try experimenting for yourself. Just don't peal off the backing on the loop until you find your ideal spot. The adhesive they put on the loop is really strong. If you peal off the loop, it won't stick again.
    Great idea. I was thinking the same thing... where to attach the loop. I'm almost thinking of the top of the tablet by the camera as well, seems like it would be easy to grab, and if in portrait, the pen will be on the side, and since I'm right handed, I'd be holding the tablet on the left side, so I don't think the loop would get in the way. But I will test, like you said...

Thanks!!!
    02-26-2015 09:58 AM
    it is such a damn ugly thing I couldn't bring myself to put it anywhere.
    less ugly on the colour matching type cover - but as above, type cover not attached for me when using in tablet mode. In fact I can't remember the last time I used the type cover (its either tablet or dock for me)
    • when in dock, I latch it to the magnetic side.
    • when in tablet I latch it to the magnetic power port
    • when in Incipio bag it goes in the side pocket
    02-26-2015 08:35 PM
    I stuck mine to the left side of the Surface near the volume buttons.

I often use it without the keyboard cover, so no point putting the pen on the keyboard if I'm not going to have the keyboard with me.
    02-27-2015 08:15 AM
    I am in the "not stick" camp. I really hate how it looks like an afterthought. I wish they had made a spot under the kickstand on the left/volume side to add a loop for the pen. You could pull it out when it was needed, and push it away when it wasn't. My biggest thing is keeping it in a safe place while transporting so that the OneNote button doesn't get pressed and wake the Surface.

While looking for options I found this Cleanint Cleanstylus (Surface Pro 3) - Cleanint Not sure I like it, but it might be an option for others.
    02-27-2015 10:03 AM
    I stuck mine to the left side of the Surface near the volume buttons.

I often use it without the keyboard cover, so no point putting the pen on the keyboard if I'm not going to have the keyboard with me.
    That's a good point, about not putting it on the Type cover, but in just temporarily placing the loop on the left side, does it ever get in the way of the volume buttons? Or is it easily pushed over to get access to the buttons?
    02-27-2015 10:12 AM
    Anybody care to share pic's of their placement?
    02-27-2015 10:42 AM
    Well I did stick the pen loop on the left-hand side of my Surface, but it fell off :/ (probably due to the weight of the pen!) so guess I'm in the 'non stick' camp then.
    Really Microsoft should have integrated the pen loop in with the keyboard or just left it out full stop! and used the charging port for the pen.
    02-27-2015 12:10 PM
    Anybody care to share pic's of their placement?
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...stick-pen.html
    02-28-2015 04:23 PM
    While looking for options I found this Cleanint Cleanstylus (Surface Pro 3) - Cleanint Not sure I like it, but it might be an option for others.
    couldn't get any uglier than that?
    guess it shows it is not an easy problem to solve.

it seems to me a really strong magnet is the least obtrusive.
    I sometimes use the power port magnet but you need to be aware that it isn't strongly attached.

which got me thinking... if the volume rocker was a strong magnet that could be used... which got me thinking of an aftermarket solution... a strong discrete magnet that plugs into the headphone jack. It could be sleek like the volume rocker, low profile but maybe wider. Or one that slots into the air vents on the top.

just a thought.
    02-28-2015 06:38 PM
    Or one that slots into the air vents on the top.
    I like the idea, but blocking one of the air vents?

The power port magnet is great when you just want to put your pen somewhere while using it....never thought of that Like you say it wouldn't be good if you were carrying it though.
    03-01-2015 08:05 AM
    if I am doing a lot of desktop stuff on the touch screen I use this "stylus" on a "dongle" - I find the desktop apps have small icons for coarse finger touch, and the SP3 stylus too sensitive, esp if I want to just tap or touch (as opposed to draw or write)

stylus-dongle.jpg

stylus-dongle-2.jpg
    03-01-2015 08:41 PM
    I liked your thinking!
    03-04-2015 12:14 PM
    I have a bag for my SP3 that holds all my accessories, charging cable and other stuff I need handy. There's a pen holder in the bag that I keep mine in. Never attached the pen loop to my device because it always seemed ugly and because I had the bag from the get go.

[EDIT] Here is the bag I got. It has been absolutely perfect for my needs: bd64506bd06038bf5ad6120c8b7fd57f.jpg
    03-10-2015 04:36 PM
    That's a good point, about not putting it on the Type cover, but in just temporarily placing the loop on the left side, does it ever get in the way of the volume buttons? Or is it easily pushed over to get access to the buttons?
    Easy to push out of the way.
    03-23-2015 09:18 AM