alvinwooley

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I did a factory reset awhile ago. When I did I changed the settings to install updates I want instead of automatically. It seems like my machine runs better now.(but that just might be in my head) Im looking at the updates and reading the descriptions and don't know if there needed or just stuff that Microsoft is pushing for all 8.1 systems some of the updates say for Windows server. How do you tell what updates are for the SP3 and needed vs general updates that I don't need

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, besides the firmware and drivers, there aren't any updates that are specific to the SP3. An update labeled "Option" on up to "Critical" is addressing something in the operating system.

I know a lot of people complain about systems slowing after updates, but I have found a way to get things back on track. It just takes time. But the process is simple.

On a fresh system, run the "Disk Cleanup" program and under the "Clean up System Files" select everything and let it run. Then "Defragment and Optimize Drives" (with a SSD you just run the 'trim' process).

Then go after the first round of updates, and let the system reboot. Make sure you log in and let it sit for a few and let the update process finish (there are some things in the update process that still have to happen in the background after you log in).

You then repeat the "Disk Cleanup" and "Defragment and Optimize Drives" process again.

Then back to the updates. You keep repeating the process till there are no more updates to apply. You end up with a system that is fully patched and defraged and runs quickly. This is when you might want to use some disk imaging software and make an image of your disk and archive it for recovery sake.

After all of that, go install any full screen apps and desktop programs. Again doing a defrag after each install if you really want to have a lightning fast system. The main problem with the defrag is if you have a spinning disk as it can take awhile each time.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Update will only prompt you to download and install updates that are applicable for your machine. It'll be safe to install all of them.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
On a fresh system, run the "Disk Cleanup" program and under the "Clean up System Files" select everything and let it run. Then "Defragment and Optimize Drives" (with a SSD you just run the 'trim' process).

I'm a new SP3 owner. Is "trim" in with the Defragmenter? I don't have my SP3 handy but just wanted to ask...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new SP3 owner. Is "trim" in with the Defragmenter? I don't have my SP3 handy but just wanted to ask...
Generally, yes. On the Surface line, the defrag program realizes that there is a SSD inside and it automatically uses the trim command.

BUT... I have run across other computers that have a SSD and the defrag program resorts to the old method of defrag of moving files around. This is NOT a good thing as it put excess wear and tear on the SSD. I never did figure out how to force the system to use the trim command on those systems, even after doing everything I could research said to do (but that was when SSD's were rather new).

So if you know you have a SSD inside, and you run defrag, and you see it run like it's working a spinning disk (the screen with all the little squares changing color), CANCLE out immediately!! Then go researching on how to make the defrag program invoke the 'trim' process of optimizing a SSD.

alvinwooley

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Update on letting letting the updates run. After doing the recommended updates my tablet runs hot and the fan screams at me constantly. And this is minutes after turning it on and no apps running just surfing and reading sports sites. Any suggestions what this can be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire