Installing Windows 10 to Micro SD Card

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to install the Consumer Preview of Windows 10 to a Micro SD Card for my Surface Pro 3 with no luck. 1) I'm not sure if it's even possible. I've tried putting the install files on a USB Drive, boot to the USB and install from there, but it doesn't see my Micros SD card no matter how it's formatted. If I run the setup.exe for Windows 10 within Windows 8, it will only want to overwrite my hard drive on my Surface. I've already had a Hyper-V terminal set-up and it doesn't work as well as I'd like - issues with wifi/network, multiple monitors, going full screen, etc. I don't want to install Windows 10 over 8, as this is my work machine and I rely on it daily. Having any issue during work would be very bad.

Does anyone know how and/or if it's possible to install Windows 10 to a Micro SD Card?

Thanks!

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
You can install Windows To Go on USB drive with the latest version of Rufus program. Windows 10 would then run straight from USB drive and doesn't modify anything in your SSD inside Surface. To boot USB devices on your Surface, you'll need to turn off Secure Boot first.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. However, that is for installing to a USB Drive. I'm looking to install to a Micro SD card. Microsoft has a tool called "WintoUSB" that will allow all installations to a USB Drive. I've done that before. Having a Surface Pro 3, I was hoping to utilize the Micro SD card slot and not have to worry about a flashdrive sticking out of the side of this when traveling. Also, if I boot to USB, I can't hook up any other devices.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
You can probably use a microsd to USB adapter and use Rufus 2.0 to install Windows 10 To Go on it that way. I'll test it when I have a chance.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I was able to use Rufus 2.0 and installed Windows 10 to microSD (required 32GB or larger). Booted to Windows 10 on Surface through MicroSD just fine. My MicroSD card is only 48MB/sec. Not the fastest to run full Windows off it. First you need to turn off Secure Boot on Surface 3.

There are two ways to boot external device. 1. Hold down Volume Down button when you power up the Surface. 2. While in Windows, hold down the Shift key and Restart. Select "Use a Device" and pick USB device (MicroSD card shows up as USB device). Windows 10 Pro takes up about 7.5GB.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I will definitely try that. May not have time until this Friday (as I spent last Friday trying too!). Much appreciated!

NoahRaptor

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey, can you explain something? I'm trying to run windows ten and i have a 32gb micro sd in to put it on but each time it goes into the prerestarting phase, i get an error message that asks for a external storage device. Is the micro sd i bought not enough? Btw i have a hp stream 11 x360.

MarkosMark

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I was able to use Rufus 2.0 and installed Windows 10 to microSD (required 32GB or larger). Booted to Windows 10 on Surface through MicroSD just fine. My MicroSD card is only 48MB/sec. Not the fastest to run full Windows off it. First you need to turn off Secure Boot on Surface 3.

There are two ways to boot external device. 1. Hold down Volume Down button when you power up the Surface. 2. While in Windows, hold down the Shift key and Restart. Select "Use a Device" and pick USB device (MicroSD card shows up as USB device). Windows 10 Pro takes up about 7.5GB.

Can you explain how you did it exactly? And with what version of rufus, Windows, etc you used. What settings you used in Rufus. I tried to do this as well but I can't get it to work.
My problem is that my ssd doesn't work anymore. I can boot and install Ubuntu to microsd, but I want to run Windows 8/10 from microsd.
I have a Surface Pro 3, i7 8gb 512gb (but ssd doesn't work anymore)

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Can you explain how you did it exactly? And with what version of rufus, Windows, etc you used. What settings you used in Rufus. I tried to do this as well but I can't get it to work.
My problem is that my ssd doesn't work anymore. I can boot and install Ubuntu to microsd, but I want to run Windows 8/10 from microsd.
I have a Surface Pro 3, i7 8gb 512gb (but ssd doesn't work anymore)

Here is the guide Use Rufus To Create Windows To Go USB Drive
Rufus is picky with what ISO you can use to install Windows To Go.
You can also use WinToUSB
Best Windows To Go Creator to create portable Windows 10/8.1/8/7!

MarkosMark

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Here is the guide Use Rufus To Create Windows To Go USB Drive
Rufus is picky with what ISO you can use to install Windows To Go.
You can also use WinToUSB
Best Windows To Go Creator to create portable Windows 10/8.1/8/7!

I found the right ISO for Windows 10. But rufus only lets met install it to an external disk, not to an usb drive. I got it installed to an external harddisk and I was able to boot it with the Surface Pro 3. But I want to run it from microSD. I tried cloning it to the SD card but I then get the following error when I try to boot it: 0xc0000225

When I try to install it to a microSD card or USB drive with WinToUSB, I can only choose VHD instead of legacy. How can I make the Legacy option available?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I found the right ISO for Windows 10. But rufus only lets met install it to an external disk, not to an usb drive. I got it installed to an external harddisk and I was able to boot it with the Surface Pro 3. But I want to run it from microSD. I tried cloning it to the SD card but I then get the following error when I try to boot it: 0xc0000225

When I try to install it to a microSD card or USB drive with WinToUSB, I can only choose VHD instead of legacy. How can I make the Legacy option available?
What are you trying to achieve? Windows To Go on an SD card?

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I used MicroSD to USB adapter. VHD worked for me.

MarkosMark

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
What are you trying to achieve? Windows To Go on an SD card?
Yes, my ssd is broken and I have no warranty
I used MicroSD to USB adapter. VHD worked for me.
Okay I''ll try VHD again, it gave me an error at the end, but my screen also went idle so maybe that caused my problem

How can I clone my Windows To Go (made by rufus) on my external hdd to my SD card? I tried clonezilla and HDClone.
The external drive is 250GB and the microSD card is 64GB. But when I try to use clonezilla, it gives the error it can't determine the size. Even if I uncheck this option with advanced mode. However it's the first time I use clonezilla so I have no experience with it.
And when I clone it with HDClone, it doesn't boot because I get this 0xc0000225 error

MarkosMark

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I managed to install Windows To Go to an USB drive and microSD card using AOMEI Partition Assistant.

But I'm having the following problem for some days. My SP3 is very very very picky with what he wants to boot from usb. Even drives that were able to boot in the past won't boot anymore. The only 3 things I'm able to boot at this momen is:
- My Windows To Go installed to an external hdd
- Recovery usb drive
- Ubuntu

These problems started since I booted Windows To Go from the external hdd

Does anyone know what can cause this problem? And how I can fix this?
And another thing, how can I check if I have the latest firmware? If I boot into UEFI I see this: Version 2.16.1243

Bookguy420

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I managed to install Windows To Go to an USB drive and microSD card using AOMEI Partition Assistant.

But I'm having the following problem for some days. My SP3 is very very very picky with what he wants to boot from usb. Even drives that were able to boot in the past won't boot anymore. The only 3 things I'm able to boot at this momen is:
- My Windows To Go installed to an external hdd
- Recovery usb drive
- Ubuntu

These problems started since I booted Windows To Go from the external hdd

Does anyone know what can cause this problem? And how I can fix this?
And another thing, how can I check if I have the latest firmware? If I boot into UEFI I see this: Version 2.16.1243

troylarge

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
You can install Windows To Go on USB drive with the latest version of Rufus program. Windows 10 would then run straight from USB drive and doesn't modify anything in your SSD inside Surface. To boot USB devices on your Surface, you'll need to turn off Secure Boot first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos