Went back to 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had the WIndows 10TP on my Pro 3 since it became available. I've tried every build up to now.

I don't think its usable on a touch device. It's just not a good experience. I keep waiting for it to get better and they never seem to get there. WIndows 8/8.1 is just a FAR superior tablet OS.

Its frustrating because there's a lot in Windows 10 that I really like. Spartan, Cortana, The Notification Centre, Dark theme, MKV & FLAC support, and a lot more. But from a usability standpoint, on a tablet its a mess.

I know that I'm going to basically be forced to go to 10 in order to get new features, but I'm dreading it.

I hope this improves.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you still feel that after Build. 10074? I've been on the fast ring with Win 10 on a desktop and don't much care for it, but a lot of that is that I've grown so accustomed to Windows 8.1 that I really hate being taken back to the Desktop all the time but it's not very much fun to use in Tablet Mode on a non-touch desktop.
I've been wondering if the experience would be better on my Surface Pro 3 and if it's finally time to install it on my main home machine.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried 10074 on a separate partition.

It's OK. I deleted it after 24 hours, but I may go back to it.

I thing have to just get over the need to cling to 8.1 and just invest fully into 10.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to put Win 10 on my smaller tablet until they fix the Taskbar so it can be swiped on/off like the charms bar could and they need to introduce some type of full screen web browsing.

Right now Taskbar being put into autohide mode sucks, it is very buggy, it either stick around to long or doesn't come up when you need it. Also Spartan and IE have way to many static GUI elements taking up screen space.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I tried 10074 on a separate partition.

It's OK. I deleted it after 24 hours, but I may go back to it.

I thing have to just get over the need to cling to 8.1 and just invest fully into 10.

It's easier to not miss 8/8.1 when you move everything over to Win 10. I'm running 10 on my laptop, tablet, and phone, and apart from the expected minor bugs, maybe some driver installs, there's not a lot of deal breaker bugs. At least not for me.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting your thoughts. I have been thinking about installing it on my SP3, but it is my workhorse. Anyone running Photoshopeb and /or LR on their SP3 with W10? I am curious how stable that experience is currently?

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just installed 10 on my Surface 3. There are things I really like about it and things I don't like about it.

I agree in tablet mode I'd just do away with the task bar altogether.

The new task switcher with multiple desktops is good but with touch right now there isn't a way to switch the desktops and then switch to an app. It's really just broken right now with touch so I'm assuming it will get fixed. Also in vertical tablet mode it should really find a way to line them up on the left side of the screen so you don't have to do hand gymnastics to select something.

In tablet mode I would make the app selection work exactly like Windows 8. I should be able to swipe down to see all my apps not try to click on "all apps" with my finger.

I also liked the charms bar myself but I understand replacing it.

Last edited:

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After a day due to bugs I had to go back to Windows 8.1 myself. The Surface 3 was stuck in landscape mode and had a lot of other various bugs. I did give feedback online to MS about all the things I saw as deficiencies and was happy to see I wasn't the only one.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Installed 10122 and now regretting it.

The Facebook and Skype apps now crash and are unusable.

Probably 50% of the time I swipe an app closed it launches Cortana and it wont go away.

Grrrr!​

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have 10130 on a touch screen laptop and was wondering the same, just a month to go and it's far from ready.

Have to admit I am close to going back to 8.1 on the laptop, and I would if I actually needed it.

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
It was to my understanding that the builds that are being released to the public are not the ones that are currently being worked on. I thought the public builds were 1-3 builds behind the ones currently worked on.

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
On 10240, things still feel pretty unfinished on SP3 tablet mode. No "multi tasking animation" when you swipe to get all the apps, the same way you do when in desktop mode. Feels really rough around the edges. Skype is a disaster on SP3, on tablet mode (with the default 150% UI scaling )

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm having an issue where when I have my touch keyboard open, it seems to disable the touchscreen. Doesn't matter if I'm in tablet or desktop mode, the computer doesn't freeze, it just disables touch. Weird. I don't want to have to get used to this.
Edit: Crap, I have to reboot to get it back!

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem that in 8.1 Store Apps on W10 the virtual keyboard does not come up automatically anymore. I can switch to desktop mode and control it manually, but that's not acceptable.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
So my problems with the keyboard are gone. I was playing with the Surface as I came home yesterday evening and everything worked fine.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
After a day due to bugs I had to go back to Windows 8.1 myself. The Surface 3 was stuck in landscape mode and had a lot of other various bugs. I did give feedback online to MS about all the things I saw as deficiencies and was happy to see I wasn't the only one.
Actually that is a toggle setting of locking screen rotation. But even when I flipped it over, it was hit-n-miss when it would rotate.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been using My XPS12 for both keyboard and touch and find there is no real difference or benefit in using tablet mode for touch, I've relegated to just using it as a tablet in desktop mode. There are no better touch points, Edge is not touch enhanced enough yet so whether I use it or IE in touch makes no difference. As someone mentioned already there is so much hand gymnastics in Windows 10 and not much difference in that regardless of the mode. I realize Microsoft had to get the Desktop Mode right since there is a higher majority of users that don't use touch and it's great to see the positive reviews. With Windows 10 on constant change I expect a lot of the touch enhancements to return and am hopeful it will be by the October update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte