upgrade sp3 pro hd to 1tb!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
There is no way anyone in their right mind is going to destroy the beautiful magnesium alloy finish of a $4-digit device

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is what I call dedication!

I think that's an OK tradeoff since its behind the kickstand, but I'd sooner get something easier to repair/upgrade.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
1tb OneDrive, 1tb external SSD and my internal 512gb works for me. Why would you 'hack' such a nice piece of engineering?

I certainly wouldn't hack my sp3 as its too beautiful to break! Even though its behind the kickstand, I wouldn't risk it, but that person who did it certainly got some balls!. I bet the air flow around the laptop is probably effected and maybe the heat of those mSSD are hotter(?)

external 1tb ssd via usb? I'll have to look into that as I didn't think usb would be capable of achieving the speed of what ssd is capable of. I suppose if you don't want to lug the external drive and no access to the one drive cloud, then internal 1tb would be handy, but still, its not worth the risk.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
1tb OneDrive, 1tb external SSD and my internal 512gb works for me. Why would you 'hack' such a nice piece of engineering?

Yeah. I agree. I have 10TB OneDrive, a 500GB external USB 3, and a 12TB NAS at home. I have no need to try this. Besides, I'm all thumbs when it comes to this kind of stuff anyway. By the way, you know you can upgrade that 1TB of OneDrive to "unlimited" right?

Just go to this link an they kick you up to 10TB, then if you need more, you ask for it.

https://preview.onedrive.com/

I do admire his ingenuity though.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
All of this begs an obvious questions - seriously, how difficult could it be to put a hatch there for user replacement?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All of this begs an obvious questions - seriously, how difficult could it be to put a hatch there for user replacement?

That adds complexity and cost, you'll have to design and implement a hatch that is slim enough to not interfere with the kickstand and the design's slimness, yet not break at a glance. And for what? Some power users might enjoy it, but most users won't fiddle with it.

There's other PCs for those power users probably.

Well, and to make more money on upgraded models like Apple, which people eat up as Apple has demo'ed.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
That adds complexity and cost, you'll have to design and implement a hatch that is slim enough to not interfere with the kickstand and the design's slimness, yet not break at a glance. And for what? Some power users might enjoy it, but most users won't fiddle with it....

Because the kickstand exists it actually makes this much easier, because it is protecting the slot much of the time. It isn't a structural issue either, as the dremel tool proves. Replacement/upgrade of hard drives has been the hallmark of the computer industry, and they are just milking it for upgrade purposes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs