Will the Surface Pro 4 have a USB-C charging port?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Micro USB is the long-term solution for the charging port on the Surface tablets (see issues with slow charging on the Surface 3).

USB-C connector makes sense in a lot of ways going forward, least of which is the fact that you will have an extra port when the tablet isn't charging. I just hope USB-C makes it to the Surface Pro 4 as charging port...it just has too many advantages (reversible connector anyone?).

Anybody else feel the same way?

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I hope NOT... should be the same power connector as in the SP3 because of compatibility (e.g. current power connector, SP3 docking station, etc.)
I would like to see that the SP4 gets 1-2 USB-C ports instead the one USB3 port and you can choose also to use the USB-C for charging next to the native power connector...

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
i certainly hope not. i love the current magnetic port implementation. easy, just bring it near and it snaps in. don't have to go looking for the port and aligning the cable. also, it charges fast

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not for charging but probably have at least one port to support upcoming accessories that uses Type C instead of full size USB

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaning towards it should have a USB-C. Here is my reasoning.

1. USB-C allows up to 20V pushing 5A. That's 100W of power, more than enough to charge a normal modern laptop.
2. It's backwards compatible with previous versions and (with an adaptor) previous types.
3. You don't have to worry about aligning the connector. Like Apple's Lightning connector, it fits either way.
4. It will reduce, if not eliminate the need for a power brick. All you need is an AC adaptor that can put out 100W of power.
5. If reduces the, "oh crap! I left my charger at home! How am I going to charge my laptop at the hotel?" situations.
6. It will reduce the amount of cables you need to lug around with you. No need to carry a big power brick, and separate USB cables for your phone, external HDD, camera, etc.
7. Smaller form factor which means devices can be made thinner and lighter (good for us), and cheaper to produce (good for manufacturers).
8. It's more environmentally friendly. Meaning when you upgrade your tablet, phone, laptop, or camera, you can still use the same cables; which means less old cables being tossed into land fills.

Finally, Apple incorporated it as the primary power for it's 12" MacBook. I'm not saying Microsoft should incorporate it because Apple did. They should incorporate it into any future devices because there are plenty of pros versus cons to USB-C.

My two cents.

USB Type-C: One cable to connect them all - CNET

Brad Semenick

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
No, I read somewhere yesterday that the surface pro 4 will be compatible with surface pro 3 accessories like the dock. Although I'm not against one or two usb c ports for data transfer

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Micro USB is the long-term solution for the charging port on the Surface tablets (see issues with slow charging on the Surface 3).

USB-C connector makes sense in a lot of ways going forward, least of which is the fact that you will have an extra port when the tablet isn't charging. I just hope USB-C makes it to the Surface Pro 4 as charging port...it just has too many advantages (reversible connector anyone?).

Anybody else feel the same way?

No. No. NO. Microsoft can't change anything on the lower half of the sides (in landscape). Surface Pro 4 has to work with the SP3 dock + cover. They can change what's on the upper half of the sides, because the Dock doesn't touch that, and they can change what's on the cover and maybe thickness.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind, Microsoft kept the same power connector for both the Surface, the SP1, the Surface 2, and SP2. Then introduced a new power connector for the SP3. Also notice Microsoft didn't keep the same power connector for the Surface 3. So will Microsoft keep the same power connector for the SP4. History shows that yes. However, all bets are off for SP5. Personally, I think it would be a better long term change if they move to USB-C. That way they won't have to change anything for probably for a few years until the whatever replaces USB-C as the wired connectivity standard.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it should keep the Sp3 charger, but also have USB type C alongside it, and from there forwards user the Sp3&4 charger alongside whatever is the current micro USB standard, for every upcoming surface

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'll be happy if it's USB 3.1 Gen 2 (the true USB 3.1).

I'm hoping they don't go the Apple route and get USB 3.1 Gen 1 which is really USB 3.0 wrapped with a new connector. In fact, it's downright deceptive to call something USB 3.1 Gen 1 because people will think it's USB 3.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12