issues with wireless display adapter

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you know the radio frequency of your wireless network (i.e. 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz)? My experience with this error with my Microsoft Wireless Display led me to discover that the adapter operates at 5Ghz, and my network was configured for 2.4Ghz. Once I enabled 5Ghz on my network and connected to my network at that frequency, I was able to connect to my display adapter and the error message went away.

I think the wireless adapter in your device can only work at one frequency at once, so if you are connected to a network at 2.4Ghz, you cannot connect to the Wireless Display Adapter at 5Ghz at the same time. A first step you could take is see if you can connect to the adapter while not connected to any networks.

Aaron

You don't need an active WiFi network to use the wireless adapter. It doesn't connect to your home wifi. Though based on your troubleshooting though it seems you need to have a dual band wireless enabled device. Which makes sense because 5GHz gives you more bandwidth to stream audio and video for HDMI.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, it was explained to me that the wireless display adapter initiates a connection at 2.4GHz frequency, and then switches to 5GHz if the device you are using to connect is on a 5GHz network. I had so many issues trying to connect to my ms display adapter from my surface pro 3 dock - it was connected to lan and seemed to lag until I disconnected the lan first, connected to 5GHz network, initiate the connection to the wda, and then stream with ease / no lag. I could then reconnect to the lan once connected and resume.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, it was explained to me that the wireless display adapter initiates a connection at 2.4GHz frequency, and then switches to 5GHz if the device you are using to connect is on a 5GHz network. I had so many issues trying to connect to my ms display adapter from my surface pro 3 dock - it was connected to lan and seemed to lag until I disconnected the lan first, connected to 5GHz network, initiate the connection to the wda, and then stream with ease / no lag. I could then reconnect to the lan once connected and resume.

hmm interesting!

ill test this tonight and see how i go!

i wonder if we can override what channel it selects. my apartment complex has many wifi networks and it can get congested on the popular ones. ive adjusted my wifi router to use available channels.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Like I said. The wireless display adapter doesn't actually connect to your WiFi network. I've connected to it WITHOUT being connected to a WiFi network of ANY type. If the wireless display adapter were trying to connect to your 5GHz WiFi network then, if you have WPA setup, it would be asking for your WPA password.

Your SP3 receives the streaming video via LAN/WAN from your router, then has to route that stream as well as the extra data required to display your desktop to the WDA via a WiFi signal. The data going from your SP3 to your WDA is NOT going through your WiFi router. It's a direct wireless connection to the WDA.

The lag may be a problem with your router and not with your WDA, SP3 or SP3 dock. When I watch a movie from a USB 3.0 hard drive via my WDA, I get no lag.

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Like I said. The wireless display adapter doesn't actually connect to your WiFi network. I've connected to it WITHOUT being connected to a WiFi network of ANY type. If the wireless display adapter were trying to connect to your 5GHz WiFi network then, if you have WPA setup, it would be asking for your WPA password.

Your SP3 receives the streaming video via LAN/WAN from your router, then has to route that stream as well as the extra data required to display your desktop to the WDA via a WiFi signal. The data going from your SP3 to your WDA is NOT going through your WiFi router. It's a direct wireless connection to the WDA.

The lag may be a problem with your router and not with your WDA, SP3 or SP3 dock. When I watch a movie from a USB 3.0 hard drive via my WDA, I get no lag.

I was not suggesting that it connects to the WiFi network, but simply uses that information to make a decision of what frequency to use... Again, the above information was explained to me by Microsoft techs.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I was not suggesting that it connects to the WiFi network, but simply uses that information to make a decision of what frequency to use... Again, the above information was explained to me by Microsoft techs.

Here is what is on Microsoft Answers. It says it can negotiate a 5GHz connection. It doesn't say that it will. I know its seems like its semantics. But for computers there are no such thing as semantics. It either can or cannot, which then determines will or will not.

How Miracast Communicates Over Wifi Networks - Microsoft Community

If you run this command, it will tell you types of wireless channels are broadcasting near you.

Windows Key+R
type "cmd" press enter
type "netsh wlan show networks mode=BSSID" press enter

What it won't show you are and wireless networks that are not broadcasting an SSID or other devices that broadcast in the 2.4GHz (Bluetooth, cordless phones, and wireless speaker systems) or 5GHz (some cordless phone systems and wireless speaker systems) spectrum. Nor will it show devices that cause interference like microwaves.

Also, here is the troubleshooting steps:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ing%2Fadapters%2Fcommon-issues&token=ACcHnTh_

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

I have tried this solution to no avail, its lags like hell both connect to my WDA and also direct with my LG TV :(

400 Hertz

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
I have the latest V2 MS Display Adaptor bought recently and mine would not connect to my LCD Projectors, but 4K LCD TV's and HDMI monitors were OK. Rather than ask a question, I thought I would post the solution here which might help others although it may not help the OP.

The clue is in the MS online help for the device: Make sure your HDTV, monitor, or projector supports HDCP. If you aren’t sure if your display supports HDCP, check the info that came with your device or go to the manufacturer’s website. Yes, the upgrade of the software is possible using the PC utility (which only works under Windows 10 I recall).

It turns out the these HDMI MiraCast casting devices will not work with older equipment (like my three year old Panasonic projectors) unless you 'fool' it to thinking it is able to negotiate HDCP. High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection to stop naughty boys copying video easily.

To do this, you need to pass the HDMI output of the MS Display Adaptor through an HDMI splitter/adaptor, on its way to the projector (or TV). I found one of these cheap on a famous auction web site, look for something like "4K 1x2 HDMI 1.4 Splitter Selector Adapter HDCP" these are around £12 to £15 (or $20). The splitter is designed to send the output to two HDMI compatible displays, but just using one is enough as the MS Display Adaptor suddenly feels it is able to work.

Connect all cables, power up the splitter/adaptor, power up the MS Display Adaptor and all should be OK. The adaptor and the MS device will also pass the audio content streamed to it as well as the video.

I am using an Android phone for casting this way, it produces great video content as long as the original is high quality. Video recorded by the phone in 1920 x 1080 looks smashing on a big LCD projector. Lower quality video looks acceptable but playback through VLC on my phone needed a 300mSec advance on the audio to remain exactly in synch with the video (pause and use the utility under an icon the looks like notepaper to adjust). The phone is a OnePlus 3 so it does have some decent processing power.

Hope this helps someone out there and saves a bit of time.

400 Hertz

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Just in case anyone looks back on this thread, I have a further update regarding MS Display Adaptor 2 and projectors.

The old Panasonic VX415N projectors that I tried to use with the MS Display Adaptor 2 definitely need the HDMI splitter, otherwise no go. I have just bought one of the newer full 1080p widescreen projectors from BENQ, the W1300 and hey-presto, the MS Display Adaptor 2 works very well without the need for the HDMI splitter. I am writing this additional post as I understand that HDCP errors were common with the older BENQ projectors like the W100, so someone might need to know that mine certainly works well without any issues. One minor point is the lack of USB 5V connection on the W1300, it does have a mini USB so I used a USB power pack to power the MS DA 2.

The MS Display Adaptor 2 has had another firmware update recently, so I guess MS are trying to make it better, I can't recall the latest version number on mine though. The BenQ Wireless QCast Dongle is at least twice the price so save money and use the MS DA 2!

larsonreever

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
i think you need to update update (download & install) your intel hd graphics drivers. Please update your drivers and try again.

Below are instructions how to update device drivers on Windows .

identify the manufacturer and type of your video card
open Device Manager: Start | Run | enter devmgmt.msc
open the Display Adapters drop-down; this will show you the installed video card:

identify the device driver version
go to the device manufacturer's support site and download the latest driver
follow the instructions on the manufacturer's support site

-----------

Thanks,

Larson Reever

Head Of Application Software Dept

C&C

California, USA

Last edited:

DaveT469

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Please be patient - forum newbie here.

Having a problem connecting home built PC to TV via Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter 2 (MWDA2). My surface pro 3 and Samsung Note 3 Miracast to my TV via MWDA2 OK, but when I try from my home built PC, all I get to see on the TV is "Connecting to DESKTOP" (DESKTOP is name of my PC) for about 15 seconds. Following this, I receive the message "Pairing with DESKTOP failed - try again". The only hint I get from the PC is that after the failed pairing message comes up, the PC says "Your television quit waiting. Try adding again." I've been at this for quite awhile now - and I am now not sure of what I can do (is there anyways to increase the wait time for devices that are being paired - maybe somewhere in the registry?).

By way of background, PC is connecting wirelessly to network via DLink DWA 192 AC1900 USB 3 attached NIC. Network is Netgear D7000 AC 1900 2.4/5G 802.11ac. Video card is NVIDIA GTX950. Distance from PC to router is 1.5 meters. Distance from Router to TV is 5 meters. I want to run it over 5G but have seen somewhere that it needs to be on 2.4G for initial pairing - which is the case. I've completely opened up the firewall when trying to pair, but no good.

DxDiag tells me that Miracast is available over HDCP. NDIS version is 6.5. WDDM version is 2.1. It's supposed be at least 1.3 for it to work and NVIDIA's Maxwell GPU is supposed to be Miracast compliant - as are all 900 series GPUs - but Noooo! DxDiag states under GPU section that Miracast is not supported by latest driver - but I have the latest drivers?!? I have deleted and reinstalled both Wireless NIC and GPU drivers and still no good. I am really getting frustrated here as I get so close (it tries to pair and then fails). Will I have to go to a full Intel environment (at least CPU & GPU) to get this working even though I've just bought new NIC and GPU to get Miracast working as per - https://actiontec.zendesk.com/hc/en...notebook-or-ultrabook-can-support-Intel-WiDi-

I have an Intel I7 3770 3.5Ghz CPU running Ivy Bridge, 32GB RAM and 24TB of storage in Raid 6 array. Anything anyone can do to help me get the Miracast working on my PC will be very much appreciated...

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Please be patient - forum newbie here.

Having a problem connecting home built PC to TV via Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter 2 (MWDA2). My surface pro 3 and Samsung Note 3 Miracast to my TV via MWDA2 OK, but when I try from my home built PC, all I get to see on the TV is "Connecting to DESKTOP" (DESKTOP is name of my PC) for about 15 seconds. Following this, I receive the message "Pairing with DESKTOP failed - try again". The only hint I get from the PC is that after the failed pairing message comes up, the PC says "Your television quit waiting. Try adding again." I've been at this for quite awhile now - and I am now not sure of what I can do (is there anyways to increase the wait time for devices that are being paired - maybe somewhere in the registry?).

By way of background, PC is connecting wirelessly to network via DLink DWA 192 AC1900 USB 3 attached NIC. Network is Netgear D7000 AC 1900 2.4/5G 802.11ac. Video card is NVIDIA GTX950. Distance from PC to router is 1.5 meters. Distance from Router to TV is 5 meters. I want to run it over 5G but have seen somewhere that it needs to be on 2.4G for initial pairing - which is the case. I've completely opened up the firewall when trying to pair, but no good.

DxDiag tells me that Miracast is available over HDCP. NDIS version is 6.5. WDDM version is 2.1. It's supposed be at least 1.3 for it to work and NVIDIA's Maxwell GPU is supposed to be Miracast compliant - as are all 900 series GPUs - but Noooo! DxDiag states under GPU section that Miracast is not supported by latest driver - but I have the latest drivers?!? I have deleted and reinstalled both Wireless NIC and GPU drivers and still no good. I am really getting frustrated here as I get so close (it tries to pair and then fails). Will I have to go to a full Intel environment (at least CPU & GPU) to get this working even though I've just bought new NIC and GPU to get Miracast working as per - https://actiontec.zendesk.com/hc/en...notebook-or-ultrabook-can-support-Intel-WiDi-

I have an Intel I7 3770 3.5Ghz CPU running Ivy Bridge, 32GB RAM and 24TB of storage in Raid 6 array. Anything anyone can do to help me get the Miracast working on my PC will be very much appreciated...

I don't think it goes through your router. How far away from the TV is the PC that you are trying to connect? How many walls or obstructions are between the PC and the TV?

kmende

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi Rob, exact problem I was having with several adapters. Surfed the web for hours looking for solutions. Yours was the only one that matched my symptoms and worked. Never would have guessed simply uninstalling/reinstalling vid driver would do the trick. Many thanks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb