Possible SP3 Purchase

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking into buying an SP3 to serve as my main computer. This will replace my 2009 MacBook Pro and Surface 2. I'm trying to decide between the i5 4GB RAM/128GB and i5 8GB RAM/256GB models of the SP3.

What kinds of activities would tax the 4/128 model? Where would I notice the lesser specs? I'm not a gamer, so that won't be an issue. I normally don't tax a system too hard, but I do work with basic video/audio editing, watch the occasional Netflix movie, and surf YouTube a lot. The 4/128's price is much more attractive and alluring, but want to be sure I won't be suffering. The 8/256 would be more future-proofed I suppose?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
4/GB of RAM is plenty for the majority of users, but you could experience some slow down id you're running YouTube along with other applications, or multiple YouTube tabs, etc. The core i5 should help offset this as it offers good, solid performance and backs up 4/GB of RAM well. I would go for the slightly more expensive version however simply because 8/GB of RAM means I won't have to upgrade my machine if I DO need that extra ram and double the storage is ALWAYS helpful.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I'd get the higher RAM and memory, so you don't have to worry about the device being cluttered up, its always better to have too much memory than too little

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If you're upgrading a 2009 machine, you're the type to upgrade infrequently.

At this point, get the 8GB machine. These machines cannot be upgraded so you need to get as much as you can, especially if you won't be upgrading until 2021. Only light users will be happy with 4 GB. And for the near future, 4 GB is fine for many people. But if you're doing video editing, have lots of tabs open in a browser, etc., 4 GB will feel sluggish. And that's in the near term. 4 years down the line, the machine will feel like an albatross.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I moved from a mid 2010 MacBook Pro to a i7/256, then a i7/512. Get the highest spec you can afford. Less stress on CPU = less throttling. I use mine for Lightroom and Photoshop and rarely get any throttling.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I replaced a 2009 MacBook Pro with a i7/256... but.... I sorta upgraded quick. I started with the i3/64 but loved it so much I returned it and went with the i5/128. Then after a few days I was at a point that I could have gotten the i7/256, so I did... lol... So that's where I'm at now.

I look at it this way (as well as the others here...): Get what you can afford. After you use the SP3 for a while, you are DEFINITELY going to find new uses for it, and if you went with a lower model you're going to be kicking yourself in the "you know what" because you didn't go bigger. And the people here in this forum are so awesome and they will help you out with any issues...

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Are we all in agreement that the SP3 is the best "2 in 1" out there? I like the form factor the best (I like my Surface 2) and it seems like it has the best touchscreen. It certainly is the most portable (IMO). You pay a premium price for it, though. You can get some higher spec'd devices at this price point or less, but most of those are heavier and seem to get knocked on performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12