Considering a switch from MacBook Air

Trees

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've been intrigued by the Surface for some time. Currently have a 2013 MacBook Air 13" and have no issues with it. Primary use for the Air is as a Tablet replacement for an older iPad. For what I like to do and my use cases, a laptop form factor like the Air is in my view more flexible and capable than a tablet. Use it around the house mostly, but have had good experience traveling and using the Air for watching movies on iTunes in flight, etc.

I do at times need to use apps that are Windows only. For that I have a Windows 7 VM on a Mac mini. I've successfully used RDP client on the Air to access the Windows 7 VM, however, the screen size and audio have been probably not as optimal if I had a native Windows device. The other consideration is that long-term, I'm thinking about a transition to Windows as I see it as perhaps more flexible and capable out of the box for communicating and integrating with other OS's, apps, and environments. I may just eventually run a Windows VM on the Air, which in many ways I think would "solve" what I'm thinking about.

So, is there anyone who has made the switch from using a MacBook Air (as a tablet/laptop combo) to the Surface? I realize with any transition there are tradeoffs and pros/cons. What has your experience been like?

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I current use a Pro 3, iPad Air 2, and a 6 plus. You find you can do a lot more on a pro 3 than a MAC (iMac, air, MacBooks) out of the box. I use my pro 3 as a laptop, and when I use the docking station I use it as a desktop replacement. The pro 3 gets great battery life, I don't think I will ever buy another computer without a touch screen and pen support again :)

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Considering the surface is basically is a powerful windows 8 laptop which run full windows 8.1 it has the same power as desktop PC.

It using good hardware and run great

Trees

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Appreciate hearing everyone's take on this. With the Surface 4 on the horizon, that might be a good time to consider a switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss