Finally bought a surface pro 3! Absolutely in love with it, but i've got some questions...

robertino23

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Ever since the Surface Pro (original) was announced, I knew I had to have one. Well, better late than never, I just bought a Surface Pro 3 from a Microsoft Store. I snagged the arc mouse (beautiful, and sleek. Love how it folds flat) and the black type cover. I've just got some beginner questions, as this is my first Windows 8.1 PC; I came from 7 on my old computer.

Obvious first question, but any must-download apps for productivity?

What program/app do you guys use to manage your music? I have a Lumia Icon so i'd like to use something that lets me transfer music as easily as possible. (Not trying to use iTunes)

How do you guys utilize the pen? I love the OneNote activation with the top button, but (and this is going to be a dumb question) but what are the other two side buttons for? How do I even set up the pen to use? All I can use it for right now is a cursor.

For those of you with the docking station: How do you like it? Is it worth the buy?

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm just so excited to use this awesome PC! If you've got any good beginners tips/tricks they would be much appreciated:) Thanks again!!

PPCApache

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Robertino23,

I also have the Surface Pro 3 + lumina 930 (international version of the Icon) combo, I use the stylus a lot in tablet mode as a mouse alternative, to check the settings of the stylus open the Surface app on your SP3 will give you all the info you need.

I would recommend get the following

* Office 365 - outlook, word, excel etc..
* Nextgen Reader - RSS reader (universal app)
* Tweetium - Twitter client (universal app)
* InstaPic - Instagram client

If you get a lot of packages I would recommend Package Tracker (universal app).

Good luck with your SP3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Cool! So much joy is this post, haha. I have a Surface RT now and I know I need to have a new Surface Pro too. Hopefully not too long.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Must-download apps for productivity:
-Office 2013/36
-Adobe PDF user (can be downloaded from app store)

Program/app to manage music:
I just use Xbox music, I've moved from stuff ITunes to my Pro 3 and Lumia 625 (I got used to Xbox music when I had my RT, and I'm thinking of getting iTunes installed; not sure yet though)

Utilizing the pen:
Just like you I'm an avid used of Onenote, the top button is used to group text (and can be used as the right button on a mouse) whereas the botton button is the eraser on Onenote (and probably the left button on a mouse) the pen is synced to the Surface during setup and you can use it as a cursor, but it can be a bit tedious at times.

Docking station:
I'm also thinking about getting the dock

Hope this helps!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
It would help if you list what you do so that the appropriate productivity tips are given.

For example, if you carry a lot of business cards, then CamCard is fantastic. It syncs with your cloud account so what you do on your phone or the SP3 is synced together. That's how I track all my contacts. you take a picture of the business card and it scans the card and grabs all the text, all the phone numbers, emails, etc. So if I tap the email, I can send them an email. If I tap the phone number, I can call. If I want to search for a phone number, I can just search and it'll bring up the appropriate business card.

So you could help by being more specific.

For example, Wunderlist is a wonderful to-do app. It can organize your tasks and provide alerts. You can do group tasks with other people. So if you're trying to organize a potluck with your friends, you can create a common list where people that tap on what they're bringing. Someone picks up some potato chips and taps the list and it's automatically updated on everyone's phone/PC. It's also multiplatform, including support for Windows Phone and Windows PCs. So I can put a task on the phone and see it on the PC. And vice versa.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Music wise, I copied all of my music to OneDrive. From there you can access using Xbox Music on your Icon and SP3.

I also use OneNote a lot.

Everybody else pretty well covered the other stuff.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
There is a companion app for the pen, download that(forgot the name).

One side button is for selecting, the other for erasing.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the club. The SP3 is amazing. I stuck in an MicroSD card and use it for everything aside of games, including running VM's ... nice to be able to walk in to an office with it and say "Here's what Windows 10 looks like" and 10 seconds later there is a whole new machine....

I like it so much I might actually go so far as to get the newest one less than a year after it is released, I am usually on the trailing edge at least a year...

Microsoft did a tremendous job with it.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Obvious first question, but any must-download apps for productivity?

Wunderlist is one of the best to-do list sharing apps..... after Microsoft decided that the Rooms service is not really good. she went and bought an app that does the same thing exactly.

What program/app do you guys use to manage your music? I have a Lumia Icon so i'd like to use something that lets me transfer music as easily as possible. (Not trying to use iTunes)

I just drag and drop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss