Overheated my SP3

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, my SP3 (i7, 256) got replaced yesterday, again (trying to figure out the reboot hang with the keyboard in the passive position, MS had issued me 2 other replacements previously).

This current SP3 has always had an issue of running "warm" with the fan darn near constantly running, especially while on A/C power. Last week I was reading Windows Central and catching up on the forums and the fan was running even more than previously. I got a phone call and put the SP3 aside (via the kickstand to keep it upright). The phone call lasted around 30 minutes, I went back to my SP3 and noticed that it was still on (even though the power settings were set to sleep after 10 minutes), and the fan was screaming loud and when I went to pick it up, it was painfully hot on the backside (upper right).

So I flipped up the keyboard to force it to sleep. I waited, and waited, and waited, it never did sleep with the fan still screaming. Wanked the power out of it's connector, waited, and waited, and waited, still no sleep, with the fan still going louder and louder.

Decided to look at the processes to see what was going on. Task manager showed nothing out of the ordinary. The indexing service was the only process that was doing really anything, and the CPU was never being taxed over 20% (bouncing up an down), disk was always under 10%.

Finally decided enough was enough and went to power down. Except now touch wouldn't work and then the system locked up, touchpad, keyboard... nada. Did the long press on the power button and it finally shut down. I walked away and let it cool down on it own for an hour or so. Powering it back up, it seemed normal. The fan still ran more than any of my previous SP3's but it ran.

Then the fun started happening as the days worn on. Finger touch would just randomly stop working, but the pen would work fine. Or the pen would write on the screen, but wouldn't register taps. Or pen taps worked but no writing. A reboot or two or three would correct the issue.

Decided to do a factory reset via USB (downloaded the most current recovery image from MS). It went fine, until the first reboot after copying the files off the USB drive, thermal shutdown. I had to wait 10 minutes before it would cool down enough to boot up (tried several times). Eventually I got the system up and running, and it ran fine for a day or two, but then the touch and pen issues would come back.

Yesterday I was taking notes with the pen and it gave out, again. Replaced the battery in the pen and it didn't make any difference. 5 reboots and the pen finally worked for around 10 minutes, then gone again. Scheduled time at the MS store after work to have them look at it.

Get to the store, and of course we can't recreate the problem. They are out of the i7/256 refurb units. They call the other store across town and they to are out. They suggest that I go through MS direct to get a replacement, but I'm going out of town on Monday and I'll be with out a computer while it's being shipped to and back from MS. They decide to just give me a new one (god I love the MS store!!!).

They pull a new unit, and did a factory reset (drive wipe) of my old unit in front of me. Of course the system does the reset without a thermal shutdown (aaarrrgghhh!!!).

So far the new unit is doing well. The fan kicks in, but it's quieter than before, and it just gets warm to touch on the back, so far. I'm still installing programs, restoring files from external drive, downloading the files from OneDrive for offline use, and getting it back to the way I like it. Hopefully this will be last replacement.

Last edited:

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Yikes! Glad you were able to get a NEW replacement. My i7/256 did the same thing after about 2 weeks from purchase, but fan didn't run. It locked up like crazy, then it wouldn't turn on. THANKFULLY the guy at the MS Store couldn't get it going (but I thought it would work for him, that ALWAYS happens...), so they gave me a new one.

Staff at my MS Store are pretty awesome...

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The biggest problem for me is that my Surface Pro 3 runs hot whenever I'm visiting websites that contain Flash videos, or advertisements on the page using Flash. If I go to sites like ESPN to play news videos, my device will heat up within no time, and the fans will kick into high gear. While using my device this morning, it ran cool the entire time. As soon as I logged into this forum, the device ran warm and the fans kicked on. I noticed they have advertisements running in the right pain using Flash. My Surface Pro 2 does not have this problem, only my Surface Pro 3. This might be the case for all Surface Pro models, because this is my 3rd one and they've all done the same thing.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
The Mac notebooks have a long history of the same thing happening. I see a lot of articles saying to not install Flash at all on a Mac, it's that bad. I have a Mac Mini at home that is mainly used for iTunes and an Apple TV hooked up in my living room, and I don't have Flash installed. It kinda sucks that web sites still use it. I use Firefox with AdBlock and it seems to run ok on my SP3.

wessock

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
The indexing service was causing my SP3 i5 to overheat and not sleep and wake up so I disabled it. I'd suddenly hear the fan screaming from my carry bag and it would be painfully hot, or I'd just take it out only to find a dead battery even though it was fully charged before. Didn't matter if I closed the type cover or pressed the power button, it always just woke itself up. No problems after disabling the indexing service though.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium