Why isn't my Surface Pro 3 Pen working in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Surface Pro 3 Pen not working in Windows 10

Downloaded technical preview and updated to the last build, the top button of the pen works only when i double click (screenshot), but windows doesnt track the pen.
I re-paired the pen multiple times, i'm pretty sure the pen battery is good, any one have this problem?

lodepaco

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I've solve the problem... and in my case it was ridiculous :grin:

The pen has two batteries: one to control de back-purple button. This battery also connects the pen with Surface and lights on the green light in the pen. The AA batterie it's exclusively for pen's tip (and writing).

In my case the AA batterie was empty, the pen seems to work (the purple button worked, the pen was connected with Surface) but the pen didn't work. That's why I thought that it wasn't a battery problem... but then is when I realized that there are two kind of batteries inside the pen!!!

I've change the AA batterie with a new one (check the + and - position) and everything started to work ok. :excited:

Hope it work for you too!

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

The pen has two batteries: one to control de back-purple button. This battery also connects the pen with Surface and lights on the green light in the pen. The AA batterie it's exclusively for pen's tip (and writing).

In my case the AA batterie was empty, the pen seems to work (the purple button worked, the pen was connected with Surface) but the pen didn't work. That's why I thought that it wasn't a battery problem... but then is when I realized that there are two kind of batteries inside the pen!!!

I've change the AA batterie with a new one (check the + and - position) and everything started to work ok. :excited:

I guess you use the pen everyday for many hours so that the AA battery was recently used up :p

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Are you talking about the SP1/2 pen, or the SP3 pen? The SP3 uses a AAAA battery and it only has one. It handles both BT and writing. I just tested it, I took the battery out and it wouldn't write, put it back in and it worked. The SP1/2 pen uses AAA (I used to own an SP1), and it didn't use BT at all.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 Pen not working in Windows 10

Downloaded technical preview and updated to the last build, the top button of the pen works only when i double click (screenshot), but windows doesnt track the pen.
I re-paired the pen multiple times, i'm pretty sure the pen battery is good, any one have this problem?

I had the same issue. I went back to Windows 8.1, updated and then installed Windows 10. It was all gone, except that part of my Surface's screen wasn't responding to touch nor Pen, so I exchanged it with Microsoft for a new Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster