Downloaded technical preview and updated to the last build, the top button of the pen works only when i double click (screenshot), but windows doesnt track the pen.
    I re-paired the pen multiple times, i'm pretty sure the pen battery is good, any one have this problem?
    06-27-2015 10:48 AM
    I have the same problem :(
    08-13-2015 09:35 AM
    You may have problems with the touch screen drivers. The BT has nothing to do with pen writing, only for operation of the top button.
    08-14-2015 12:04 AM
    I've solve the problem... and in my case it was ridiculous

The pen has two batteries: one to control de back-purple button. This battery also connects the pen with Surface and lights on the green light in the pen. The AA batterie it's exclusively for pen's tip (and writing).

In my case the AA batterie was empty, the pen seems to work (the purple button worked, the pen was connected with Surface) but the pen didn't work. That's why I thought that it wasn't a battery problem... but then is when I realized that there are two kind of batteries inside the pen!!!

I've change the AA batterie with a new one (check the + and - position) and everything started to work ok.

Hope it work for you too!
    08-18-2015 10:07 AM

The pen has two batteries: one to control de back-purple button. This battery also connects the pen with Surface and lights on the green light in the pen. The AA batterie it's exclusively for pen's tip (and writing).

In my case the AA batterie was empty, the pen seems to work (the purple button worked, the pen was connected with Surface) but the pen didn't work. That's why I thought that it wasn't a battery problem... but then is when I realized that there are two kind of batteries inside the pen!!!

I've change the AA batterie with a new one (check the + and - position) and everything started to work ok.

I guess you use the pen everyday for many hours so that the AA battery was recently used up :P
    rdubmu likes this.
    08-18-2015 10:28 AM

Are you talking about the SP1/2 pen, or the SP3 pen? The SP3 uses a AAAA battery and it only has one. It handles both BT and writing. I just tested it, I took the battery out and it wouldn't write, put it back in and it worked. The SP1/2 pen uses AAA (I used to own an SP1), and it didn't use BT at all.
    08-18-2015 03:39 PM
    The SP3 uses a AAAA battery and it only has one. It handles both BT and writing.
    Nope!

The AAAA battery powers writing, right-click and erasing. It doesn’t power a Bluetooth connection and isn’t used for opening OneNote or taking screenshots.
    The two size 319 batteries power the BT etc

Source: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=tMwX-rv8
    08-18-2015 06:00 PM
    Nope!
    Uh yes it does. I took my battery out and it is an Energizer AAAA battery. All 3 of my pens do. The one that came with it, and the two extras I bought.

The two size 319 batteries power the BT etc

Source: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=v1fwoqid
    The link says nothing about two size 319 batteries.

Are using the pen that came with your SP3, or is it a 3rd party pen from N-Trig?
    08-18-2015 07:20 PM
    The link says nothing about two size 319 batteries.

Are using the pen that came with your SP3, or is it a 3rd party pen from N-Trig?

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=clsS6Sdu

Solution 3, it even shows you a picture of the batteries!
    08-19-2015 01:43 PM
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=iGhOECDu

Solution 3, it even shows you a picture of the batteries!
    Ah! Now I see. It makes sense now.
    08-19-2015 03:32 PM
    Downloaded technical preview and updated to the last build, the top button of the pen works only when i double click (screenshot), but windows doesnt track the pen.
    I re-paired the pen multiple times, i'm pretty sure the pen battery is good, any one have this problem?
    I had the same issue. I went back to Windows 8.1, updated and then installed Windows 10. It was all gone, except that part of my Surface's screen wasn't responding to touch nor Pen, so I exchanged it with Microsoft for a new Surface.
    08-19-2015 04:58 PM
    Why isn't my Surface Pro pen 4working in Windows 10. Baht is good I've paired it.
    11-23-2016 10:57 AM
    same issue I had. Just changed the battery and is completely working! So if blurtooth works but not your pen change the 4A battery.
    12-13-2016 10:51 AM