Surface Pro 3 gets BLAZING HOT on the upper right quarter of my screen and on back, why is it doing this?

gatorfanfox

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
You can find video of changing the power setting on youtube. He introduces the way to change plan to High Performance but you can choose Power Saver. Then, go to advance setting and you can reduce CPU to 70% on Maximum. It reduces temp and makes battery longer.

I found the video and made the change as shown and it seems to have helped significantly. Still seems like it gets warmer than it should but it's much much better than it was. Thanks for this tip.

Eyal Abramowitz

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I have been having the same crazy overheating issues.
By me it seems to happen all the time whether I am doing some basic browsing (Chrome) or running multiples programs including heavy excel files.
I have had the SP3 for more than a year and I'm pretty sure this did not start happening until I upgraded to Windows 10 on the last day of the free upgrade.
The fan gets so loud it even intrudes on basic conversations. In addition it gets so hot that it can't even be held.
I used to use the SP3 to take notes in meetings, but this has become impossible. I have also found that the writing sensitivity has changed since the W10 upgrade.
Bottom line, I think I am going to downgrade back to Windows 8.1.
Better luck next time Microsoft!

CharlieWade

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Mine will get warm in that spot but generally stays neutral. The fan kicks in maybe after an hour and run's for a little bit. I've only used my Surface with Windows 10 and haven't had any problems yet and I usually will have 20 web pages open and programs running. I would go with what these guys suggest and check out some YouTube videos. Search for Windows 10 not for Surface Pro.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The latest update seemed to have busted something. My surface pro use to be pretty good with the heat at the top right corner. Now as soon as I turn it on it gets hot and I can hear the fan kick on and stay on. This was working just fine before that last update.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-no-more-throttle-fans-surface-pro-3-4-a.html

This helped me with the heating issues too (got a SP3 with i7/512gb)... As some people mention in that thread... the i7 is too powerful to be in a tablet...

I tried this solution and it really screwed up my Surface 3 PROs (mine only has i5) saving settings. The battery went down a lot faster than it should - so try at own risk.

Better option is to update the Wifi, Bluetooth and Realtek HD audio drivers from the Surface 4 PRO. That really fixed the issue of high CPU coming from sleep/hibernate for me. See my post on that here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...cpu-consistently-after-startup-hibernate.html

purrfectpatty

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. Mine has been replaced FIVE TIMES in two years. Every one of them overheats and stops working. Now this one also has a broken kickstand and the virtual keyboard has started reversing caps and lower case. I have to push the cap arrow for each letter or else everything would be in all caps. And the pen has failed and been replaced three times. Quite a huge waste of over a thousand dollars. I suspect all the Microsoft people are using iPads.

Erococo

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Same here, my i7 finally fatally stopped and for $500 zI get a new one. Microsoft does not stand by faulty designs. Class action time!

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a system process is running wild here and causing the CPU to be in higher%. This results in a hot surface device. See my other thread on how to fix this by updating the Realtek audio driver.

Java Brown

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 get BLAZING HOT on the upper right quarter of screen and on back.

I did have same issue, but I found the solution, uninstall Chrome completely.
Heat and Fan problem on your Surface Pro 3? – Ipunk Lee

When running Word Processing and Data Base programs, the right quarter of the screen and on the back gets VERY warm. When gaming (especially Microsoft Treasure Hunt), within five minutes it's nearly too hot to touch the metal back.

I contacted Microsoft...and they said that is NOT usual; thus, they sent me a new one.

And AGAIN, within five minutes of Treasure Hunt, the upper right corner is VERY hot.

My mother also bought a Surface Pro 3...same day as I did. I drove to her house and watched a six minute video. And her SP-3 did the same thing...started warming up on the upper right corner.

Microsoft says this is not usual...yet, that makes THREE SP-3s that get extremely hot in the upper right when doing ANYTHING but just plain writing.

We have had our SP-3s for about four months. So what gives, Microsoft? Is the SP-3 not meant to do anything more than writing a doc? I have to shut mine down (THE ONE I RECEIVED TODAY) after ten minutes of gaming.

HELP!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05