When will they bring back the Hibernate Option?

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Please bring back Hibernate Option

Once again, my SP3 died yesterday because it never really goes into hibernate mode. On a business trip, fully juiced up and by the time I got to my destination (8+ hours) I had about 15% remaining. This was with zero use on the plane or in transit...just in sleep in mode.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Shutting down on lid close or power button doesn't save any opened programs or files.

It really makes this device unusable away from the house or a dedicated plug.

It's meant to be mobile, there should be a way to shut it down and not have the battery drain, while still allowing previously opened programs to be where you left them.

Microsoft, PLEASE bring back hibernate mode, even if that means I have to wait 5 seconds for my computer to start.

andreqms

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The biggest problem is that the Surface uses SSD. It is not good to use 'Hibernate' option when using an SSD based computer. The problem is: the SSD has a writing limit and every time you put your computer to hibernate, the session is saved on the hard drive. That means: if you use this option a lot, your SSD will 'die' earlier than it should.

If I said bull****, please correct me. Thanks.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem is that the Surface uses SSD. It is not good to use 'Hibernate' option when using an SSD based computer. The problem is: the SSD has a writing limit and every time you put your computer to hibernate, the session is saved on the hard drive. That means: if you use this option a lot, your SSD will 'die' earlier than it should.

If I said bull****, please correct me. Thanks.

You're spot on.
All I'll add is that modern ssds are good enough, with a good trim setup, that you don't need to worry about that kind of wear. It'll go for five years at least! Gone are the days where you need to turn off scratch disks and all that malarky! I say this using pro Intel and Samsung ssds in everything! I've not opened a sp3 and am not sure if it's a high end ssd or not (from my experience it isn't - not Samsung fast anyway) but it'll still have no issues for five years or more.
You won't have a problem during the use of the life of the device. If the ssd fails out won't be because of overuse.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Please bring back Hibernate Option

Nobody writes enough to their SSD for that to make a difference. If you completely filled up your SSD once a week, erased it, and filled it again, every week, the SSD will still outlive you.

It is more likely that the SSD would have some other electronic failure long before it runs out of writes.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

Nobody writes enough to their SSD for that to make a difference. If you completely filled up your SSD once a week, erased it, and filled it again, every week, the SSD will still outlive you.

It is more likely that the SSD would have some other electronic failure long before it runs out of writes.

Exactly. They're are a lot of articles on the net talking about how to people an ssd but, frankly, they're out of date.

andreqms

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I did not know about that. I read a lot of that on the internet, but I never really searched for such information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett