Any Architect (Prof./Students) using SP3 to get work done? How's it handling?

CodePurple

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm part ways through my M.Arch, and for the first time had consistent regular moments of "Ugh, I wish I had a tablet" instead of my 15" Laptop, during my last semester.

I'm generally running Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Rhino3D. I sometimes dabble in Sketchup, AutoCAD, Maya and hope to get around to becoming familiar with Revit in the coming months.

I've always been intrigued by the SP3, and although there is no way in hell I believe for one second I'll be rendering anything on it, I really feel working in Photoshop/Illustrator would be way more natural than mouse+keyboard. Not to mention, note taking, and general sketching seems like it would be a natural fit.

What are your experiences using the SP3 for getting your Architecture tasks done. Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms? Worth it?

*I'll realistically most likely hold off until October-ish in the hopes the SP3 refresh/SP4 gets announced/released (come on Skylake!).*

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I am a civil engineering student and working with AutoCAD on 2015 on my sp3 i5/128GB and it's doing fine. But be sure that you'll need a mouse and keyboard for sure... I don't know about adobe software because I never need to use them as I am an engineer not architect.

tony brock1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I am an archiutectural designer and illustrator of 40 years experience and am finding the surface pro3 a perfect tool between PC and Tablet. Best of bothe worlds. I can have Autocad 360, Sketchup and Coreldraw or Photopaint all on the desktop as required. (Yes Corel, since 1994). Obviously need keyboard, mouse and stylus to get full functionality. Just a quick note to say that Photopaint which always geared up slowly on my PCs starts almost instantly (2.5 seconds) on the Surface. (Now that I have said that it will probably crash next time I use it!). Seriously this is the first time in my professional career that I have recommended a tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077